Wish me luck...

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Wish me luck...

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

Because I'm just starting my first serious attempt to play a Japanese language ren'ai game! :o I have my import Dreamcast, with converters for voltage and video signal to UK standards; and I have my trusty copy of Halpern's Kanji dictionary. The game arrived yesterday: Mizuiro. It's a lovely evocative game that I've been very fond of :oops: ever since I played the English fan-translation of Hiyori's scenario from ayashii.com (back in my pirating days -.-;; ). I tested the whole setup last night and it all works.

I played through the initial section, and discovered I could understand about half of the kanji without looking them up :D . Obviously the spoken sections are much easier. It will be quite slow to get anywhere, but quite a labour of love, I'd imagine! (Any advice from an understand-the-language point of view very much appreciated ^^ )

Unfortunately, it will be quite a slow process anyway, because I don't tend to have much spare time for gaming, and I have a couple of English language games which will be fghting it for my time. My other main fear is related to the wonderful style of the narration in Mizuiro: I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to appreciate it being so new to the language. I'm sure I'll miss a lot... but it should be great fun, anyway :). So wish me luck!

Erik
Regular

#2 Post by Erik »

Good luck. I'd understand about 0.00% of it if I played the Japanese version :D

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#3 Post by Sai »

Good luck.

I've seen the fansub of the animated anime OVA type thing for Mizuiro. It is so cute, looked lovely. I hope you enjoy it.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yes, the OAV is lovely. It's the same setting and initial premise as the game, but the stories diverge significantly quite early on. It's still got Yuki, Hiyori and the others, though :) And the music and animation in the OAV are great too, aren't they?

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#5 Post by Sai »

Yeah the characters looked adorable ^^ Very good quality series from the looks of it.

Grey
Veteran

#6 Post by Grey »

Good luck. I wouldn't be able to make head nor tail of it, as proven when I tried to play the FF memorial demo the other day. I just went through clicking the different options hoping some different pictures would come up :roll:

Unicorn
Regular

#7 Post by Unicorn »

Well, if you understand half of the Kanji without having to look them up in your book, it already sounds like a good start.

So, I don't wish you luck, but a lot of endurance. :wink:

After all, that is one of NekoNeko's masterpieces that you are currently playing. I experienced the quality of NekoNeko's storywriters in GinIro and always wanted to get my hands on a PC-version of Mizuiro. So, with having it (even if it is just the DC-version) you already were luckier than I was.

But because I am currently playing "Galaxy Angel -Moonlit Lovers-", I think I have no reason for envying you right now...

So, enjoy your game! :)

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#8 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Let the propellers spin and take your craft of interest to new heights...the fun world of modern Japanese visual/audio literature awaits you.

If you think you're up for the challenge, try anything by minori (esp. Bittersweet Fools, very hard vocabulary)
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=