Ren'Py vs kirikiri2

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

Ren'Py vs kirikiri2

#1 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

On another forum I've been asked several times if Ren'Py was as powerful as kirikiri2.
Well, to be more exact, I've been asked if you could make a Fate/Stay Night quality game using Ren'Py.

My answer was always yes, as I saw no real reason why you can't make something of such level using Ren'Py.

However, I started to hesitate lately. As I'm not aware how much powerful kirikiri2 is, I'm not sure anymore if Ren'Py is on a fair
level with it.

Are they equal?
Is Ren'Py superior? Why?
Is kirikiri2 superior? Why?

I would appreciate if someone with far more knowledge on these engines could clarify my doubts.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Ren'Py vs kirikiri2

#2 Post by Camille »

Personally, I think Ren'Py is superior just based on the fact that kirikiri games only work on Windows computers. D: But I can't really think of anything that's in Fate/Stay Night that isn't also achievable in Ren'Py, anyway.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3 Post by Hijiri »

Having looked at a couple of game's made of the kirikiri2 engine (Gothic Delusion and atled -Everlasting Song- to be specific) kirikiri2 is like a buffed up version of Ren'Py. However, the only thing keeping people in the english-speaking, or in that matter, any non-japanese country, from using it is because the documentation for it has yet to be translated.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#4 Post by Graph »

I'm pretty sure the kinds of image operations used in Fate/Stay Night can be reproduced in Ren'py. Nothing computationally complex, just very well-sequenced. (Although, looking at the screens Hijiri posted, I'm not sure if you can do that header bar like Gothic Delusion.)

I'm curious on how good the performance is though. There are some points when the effects show up kind of rapid-fire and there's no obvious loading time even on my previous computer. I especially think that in most professional VNs I've played, fast-forwarding feels smoother than what you get from Ren'py by default. Does anyone know what programming language is used as kirikiri's base?

yu1988
Regular
Projects: avan story
Organization: anigu

#5 Post by yu1988 »

I still prefer Renpy for its easy usage.
Our game : Image
Visit our blog and twitter to get updates.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics of features that KK can do and Ren'Py can't.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#7 Post by ThisIsNoName »

Graph wrote:Does anyone know what programming language is used as kirikiri's base?

From browsing the source code ,it looks like it's built on C++, but uses its own scripting language (TJS2). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

My two pesos...

Ren'py is powerful and flexible enough to be used way beyond it's intended purpose (visual novel creation)... that alone is a big whooping plus compared against other similar engines. Not to mention the now comprehensive documentation in English makes it easier to simply jump in and type "hello world" in Ren'py and have it displayed on your screen...

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

Graph wrote:I especially think that in most professional VNs I've played, fast-forwarding feels smoother than what you get from Ren'py by default.
You do know that you can speed up the fast forward speed on renpy from the default, right?

Code: Select all

config.skip_delay
Some of the more obvious features renpy lacks which are now the industry standard are:
-Option to control the transparency of the message box in the options menu.
-Fading in text
-More advanced save/load system (Naming save files, deleting save files, duplicating save files)

And renpy is very still very limited in video playback in that just adding a video might cause the game to not function.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

Samu-kun wrote:-Option to control the transparency of the message box in the options menu.
Style preferences allow you to have this in Ren'Py.
-Fading in text
A fair cop, although this is something I plan to add as soon as I can kill the software renderer in favor of Mesa.
-More advanced save/load system (Naming save files, deleting save files, duplicating save files)
Ren'Py at least lets you delete a save file, by pressing delete over a save slot.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#11 Post by Samu-kun »

Style preferences allow you to have this in Ren'Py.
Why not just include it in the options menu by default? It's pretty much as standard now as the option to control the text speed.
Ren'Py at least lets you delete a save file, by pressing delete over a save slot.
I... did not know that. Been using renpy for nearly four years and I never knew it was that simple. o_o;

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#12 Post by Graph »

Samu-kun wrote:You do know that you can speed up the fast forward speed on renpy from the default, right?

Code: Select all

config.skip_delay
Actually, I didn't. Thanks for that. I run into some performance bottlenecks because I do stuff that's too visual-intensive, so I didn't even consider that the speed was intentional. The rate is a little imprecise, but at least I can set the skip speed to something fast enough that my sprites don't show up in weird places while skipping.

To be fair, even though I keep going on about performance I've played a few otherwise high-quality VNs that appear to lag during animation sequences, though I don't know if any of those were kirikiri. Although the closer it was to last Fall, the more likely it was because of my old laptop choking.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

You can name your saves in RenPy with a bit of poking at the code; Spiky and I have been doing it for a while.

(insert standard whining about the problems of letting go of software rendering, because you've heard all that before. :)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#14 Post by nyaatrap »

Actually, just a script difference. ren'py is using Python. KK2 is using java-based original language. Just that.
The strong point of kk2 has and ren'py hasn't is history. KK2 has tremendous custom scripts added by many semi-professional programmers, but ren'py not have yet.
BTW, default KK2 provided by the developer is really poor. It only allows to make a VN 15 years ago if no customized.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#15 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I don't know so much about Kirikiri, and I'm not trying to brown-nose, but having the software engine creator be a very active, sharing member of the community is kind of a big deal to me.

I had tried a lot of different software packages before discovering Ren'Py.
Some of them were really good, but the support didn't go much further than a user's manual or a FAQ.
For a beginner like myself, that makes a world of difference.

Personally I've had more than my fair share of questions about how to use Ren'Py. PyTom has offered advice in more than half.

Another big deal is the community. It's so rare to find such a helpful community on the Internet.
For us game-making beginners, that is also a big deal.

I don't know what the technical advantages of Kirikiri are, but to be honest, I don't care.
As far as free engines go, Unreal Engine 4 is far superior. But whats the point of using the best if you can't figure how to work it?

I hope that the updates will keep coming for Ren'py. I'm a little surprised I haven't seen any donation button, or link to a Ren'Py kickstarter project yet.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.