Playing/Testing ren'py on an specific line of code

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Playing/Testing ren'py on an specific line of code

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

I am now testplaying my ren'py project for possible glitches and typos and right now I am doing it the hardway... Playing the game from the start everytime I edited or added a new segment.

I don't mind playing it again and again to find glitches and typos... problem is...

My game has now reached an astounding 20,000 word count (man I really am obsessed with my project) and reaching the segment I wish to test takes more time than usual.

Here's the problem...

I have edited something in line 2528, changed the show image with another picture on line 2529 and wanted to see the outcome...

What I wanted to ask... is there a way for me to start my game and jump to a specific line say... 2529?...

Thanks in advance...

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#2 Post by Alessio »

Easiest one: put a menu with jump statements to the beginning of the story. When writing G!MB, I had direct jumps to every chapter plus some temporary ones that I edited as I went along. Unless you have some complex variable tracking system this should to the job.
And wasn't there some fast-forwarding option in Ren'Py sometime...?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Um... I recall ren'py has an option that enables creators to edit on the fly like... I will edit a particular line in the script.rpy while the game is open and save it.

Then I will rollback a few screens and then forward proceed normally to see the changes without turning the game off.

I know ren'py can do this... it has been mentioned several times already but I don't have any idea how to do it.

Jake
Support Hero

#4 Post by Jake »

mugenjohncel wrote:I know ren'py can do this... it has been mentioned several times already but I don't have any idea how to do it.
I seem to recall 'Shift-R'? It's been a while, though...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

Yes, it's Shift-R when developer mode is enabled.
Also, there is an option to launch Ren'Py at a specific script line I think ?...

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#6 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yep. You should check out http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... oper_Tools : there's auto-reloading, fast skipping, and warping to a line all supported. I also use the "temporary menu at game start with jumps to different chapters" approach also :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

I find myself using shift-R reloading a lot. It works fairly well, with the exception of that if you add or change a scene/show/hide statement, you need to roll back before them for them to take effect.

I don't use warping ever, as it has some problems with more complicated games, insofar as it doesn't actually run through the game. (And hence, no variables are set.)

I'll point out that the save/load system was improved a while ago (IIRC, in 5.6 or so.). You can now save the game, change the script, and reload the save, and Ren'Py will usually do something sensible. (Shift-R reloading is just a wrapper around this.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ChXris

#8 Post by ChXris »

I always use the save/load to test parts of my game.

I didnt know about the 'shift+r'. I think ill use that now :)

Fast-skipping is useful too :D
-Skills-
██████████ Writing
████████ Ideas
████ Speed
█████ Art design
████ Motivation
███ Codes

-Work in progress-
Game name: "Master server Ran de Lanour" (beta name)
In: Stage 1 - Focusing on codes and writing
Idea [80%]
Script [20%]
Art [0%]