Seeking Artist for Midnight's Dawn

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Skylarks_and_Sirens
Projects: Midnight's Dawn: A Retelling of Romeo and Juliet

Seeking Artist for Midnight's Dawn

#1 Post by Skylarks_and_Sirens »

Hi everyone! I'm working on a project that is called "Midnight's Dawn: A Retelling of Romeo and Juliet". I can handle the writing and programming, but I need help with the art!
As of right now I know I need two character sprites. One would be of a noble girl about 18 years of age with long black hair, blue eyes, and light skin. Another would be of a boy (also 18) with light hair, tanned skin, and dark eyes.
Unfortunately though, I can't pay anyone for this. I'm broke. Still, I would love any help I can get!

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

Re: Seeking Artist for Midnight's Dawn

#2 Post by Surufe »

Can you sum up the plot or at least give some more details?
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

Skylarks_and_Sirens

#3 Post by Skylarks_and_Sirens »

Oh! I'm sorry! I was a little distracted earlier. I plan on following the original plot line of Romeo and Juliet to a fair extent, but with some alterations. For one, the two families are now representitive of the elements "light" and "darkness". Juliet will be a proud, stubborn person (she cares quite a bit about her family's title). Romeo will be playful, teasing, and stubborn in his pursuit of Juliet (he cares nothing for status or title). Narration will be done from Juliet's point of view, so she's rather important.
I don't know if that's enough info, so please tell me if more is needed! (I've never asked for help with artwork before, so I don't really know what kind of info is needed.)

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#4 Post by latte »

Here's some friendly advice, when recruiting artists for free, make sure you have at least part of the actual script completed (which means, it's past planning stage). It's hard enough to find someone willing to commit and get nothing in return, even more so if you don't have proof your project will be finished, because their name in the credits is all they're gonna get.
So, you might increase your chance of finding someone if you state your current progress. Something like "Script: 50% Music: 30%" etc. If you have any finished game, it also helps a lot.
You want to say if you have an specific style in mind or anything goes, it saves time for both parties.

One more thing. Most people only accept unpaid work when they're interested in it. We have a bucketload Romeo and Juliet retellings out there, and unfortunately what you wrote still isn't enough to make it stand out. If you show the strong points of your story, your chances are further increased.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#5 Post by Kato »

I love Romeo and Juliet. Like, love love it! Anyway for the sakes of any potential artists out there filling in the blanks might help.

1. What style of artist are you looking for. Cartoon, anime, realistic, comical, dark, etc?
2. Have you already begun work on the script and coding?
3. How many sprites are you wanting the artist do draw? How many expressions does each sprite need? How many different poses?
4. Have you any character descriptions for the artist to follow or will they have complete freedom with the design?
5. Will there be many, if any, CG screens or will the artist only be required to draw sprites?

I'll leave it at 5, but the more details you give the more heads you will turn. Hope this helps.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Skylarks_and_Sirens

#6 Post by Skylarks_and_Sirens »

Thank you! I really am sorry for the lack of detail, but I'll sit down as soon as possible to figure out my progress. I should be able to give far more info by this weekend, including a word count. I understand that I'm asking for something in return for almost nothing, so I'll come back in a few days with a lot more! Thank you for being nice, though. The idea of asking for help almost scared me! Ah, but I can mention now that I am not picky about the art style, though I love manga style art.
@Kato Thank you for the interest! I am hoping for a not-too-fluffy manga style. I believe I'll need 9 sprites when all is said and done. (Romeo's parents, Juliet's parents, Romeo's two friends, Tybalt, and of course Romeo and Juliet.) Most of those will require only two expressions, but Romeo and Juliet will need four (happy, sad, neutral, angry). I think only one pose is needed for each. I actually don't have any particulars other than the hair/eye/skin color for Romeo (blonde hair, tanned skin, brown eyes) and Juliet (black hair, blue eyes, and fair skin). The other characters I simply want to fit their age and station. The outfits should be medieval style, though.
Thank you for your patience with me! In three days I'll have character personality descriptions and plot summary!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#7 Post by fleet »

Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.