Ens Causa Sui [Nano2013]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Ens Causa Sui [Nano2013]

#1 Post by Applegate »

Ens Causa Sui
"It exists, because it claims to exist."

Names, appearances and details are not final. Everything is subject to final adjustments before the month is up.

Plot

"What if God was one of us?", sings Joan Osborne. It's not something John has given much thought. However, when a girl appears before him, he has to consider the question: The girl outrageously claims to be "God", descended from the heavens at whim. What's more, if John will not accept her as being God after seven days, she will end the world as John knows it! Even though John wants to pass her off as just some eccentric loon, things take a turn for the mysterious when he finds out a girl with a perfect likeness to "God" died in a traffic accident a few days prior. Just who is "God", and what is her relation to the deceased Jane?

Genre

'Ens Causa Sui' is a bildungs story. It's as much about fantasy as it is about reality; About distinguishing between what's real and what's not, between what you want and what you've got.

Goal

Well, it's a collaboration between chocojax and I. We're looking to bring you a story that's interesting and a good read. It'll have an underlying theme of "fantasy", but it's not a fantasy story. The greatest challenge will be to curtail my need to be pretentious deep (as Anna can surely attest :wink:), and then to deliver it complete by the end of March. Also, we want to have the main character featured on screen. :D Let's see if we can pull that off proper!

Characters
John (name not final)
The protagonist of the story. John's crazy about gadgets and machinery. He's a down-to-earth person who doesn't really like lofty things like religion, or the deeper meaning of life, or something complex as the human psyche. Lately he's been feeling like something's off, but he can't put his finger on it. When he meets a girl claiming to be "God", he's really not sure how to deal with it. Especially not when he finds out she's supposedly dead!

"God" (name not final)
The antagonist of the story. "God" appears before John, declaring boldly that she is "God", come from heaven to visit John, and give a threat: If he won't accept her as "God", she'll destroy reality as he knows it. Her perfect resemblance to a girl who died a few days ago lends her an air of mystery. She's very adamant in pushing John to accept her as real.

We'll talk more about the other characters once we've completely settled on them.

Progress
We'll keep you up to date on our progress. So far, choco's drawn some sketches for the main character designs. It may be that we go through more or that we declare them final; We'll see.

As for me, I've worked out the number of scenes and a general idea of what's happening in each scene and the story entire. Writing starts for real now.

There's no music, backgrounds or coding yet. We'll probably lift some free public domain music, snap a few pictures and throw it all together best as we can. If there's someone who'd like to be on board with us, let us know!

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Ens Causa Sui [Nano2013]

#2 Post by Veniae »

Sounds very interesting! Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to playing the finished product!

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#3 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

I've been waiting for you to post your NaNo thread. I was really curious, back when I first heard about it. Can't wait the read the finished story.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Applegate »

Veniae wrote:Sounds very interesting! Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to playing the finished product!
Glad to hear it, on both counts. :-) Here's to not disappointing.
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:I've been waiting for you to post your NaNo thread. I was really curious, back when I first heard about it. Can't wait the read the finished story.
Wait, how did you hear about it? :o

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#5 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Applegate wrote:Wait, how did you hear about it? :o
Your twitter, you tweeted about it Feb 24th.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

If "John" isn't the final name of the protagonist, you should make it "Tom", with at least someone in the story insisting to call him "Thomas". That would fit perfectly.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

Taleweaver wrote:If "John" isn't the final name of the protagonist, you should make it "Tom", with at least someone in the story insisting to call him "Thomas". That would fit perfectly.
Well, it'll add to the pretentious deep... But then we can't call him Jounochi Okayamizayamaki from Shinohoburogoma City at Makkenkousoukeiki Koukou with his girlfriend Ayamehanayo Shuzuhirusaya! :(

I'll discuss it with choco. Characters we do have planned include John's father and a classmate friend, so perhaps his father could call him Thomas if it comes down to it.
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:Your twitter, you tweeted about it Feb 24th.
I'm always amazed people follow my tweets.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#8 Post by Anna »

The concept art looks awesome and I'm really curious about the characters now; the synopsis you provided is really interesting :D!

Good luck to you guys and have fun~
Applegate wrote: The greatest challenge will be to curtail my need to be pretentious deep (as Anna can surely attest :wink:),
Hahaha, you'll be fine with this one~ Don't worry :).

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#9 Post by Arowana »

I was quite intrigued by this premise when I first started reading. Once I saw chocojax was doing the art, I was sold! xD Best of luck with this project!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#10 Post by chocojax »

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone! I'll try my best to keep up with Applegate's amazin' writing skills. :P

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Applegate »

chocojax wrote:I'll try my best to keep up with Applegate's amazin' writing skills. :P
That's not going to be very difficult, I'm average. :V You flatter me unduly.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#12 Post by chocojax »

Uhh, here's one of the (future) many sprites of Jane (the black'd part is supposed to be what's not shown if the window height is 600px).

Applegate is writin's and stuff, and'll probably update sometime this weekend. Wishin' good luck on writing. :P

(And excuse the derpiness of her hand and bottom half. If I have time at the end of this month, I'll revamp this one!!)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#13 Post by Nuxill »

love the shading. :) Cant wait to see more!

Einara
Regular

#14 Post by Einara »

I have a weird feeling that this story will turn out to be pretty sad. I like the character design, though. It looks like you've a pretty unique way to stylize faces - they look cute!

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#15 Post by Nellie »

Just dropping by to say I really love the premise of this game. One of the NaNo's I'm most looking forward to! All the best!! :)