My Review/Suggestions

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

My Review/Suggestions

#1 Post by qirien »

Wow, an English dating-sim type game! Great! Now, first off, let me say that I'm a twenty-something married woman, so I'm probably not your target audience. But I had fun anyway, so that's a compliment to you. :-) There were just a few thoughts I had while playing that I thought you might like to hear...

(minor spoilers ahead)

1) Graphics
The photos and drawings at first seemed to a little funny together, but quickly became normal. Miko was drawn well, and had appropriate expressions for different occaisions. You should make a Miko wallpaper or something -- that would be cute. ^_^

2) The Story
Though I admit I laughed at the idea of a "Get to know your neighbors" campout, it worked well enough. It was sometimes difficult to tell, though, exactly what world the story takes place in. The location is supposed to be Seattle (?), but all the girls have Japanese names and go to a university with a Japanese name? I was a little puzzled by that. Also, some of the more fantastic elements (mushrooms and squirrels), though funny, didn't quite feel like they belonged. Overall, though, the events mostly made sense and served to progress the relationship.

3) The Girl
I was expecting more of a dating-sim game (where you run around and try and win different girl's affections) rather than an interactive-story game (where there's only one girl, and if you're trying at all, you'll win her affection), but interactive stories are fine, too. However, there were some things that (as a girl), I felt were a little unfeasible. First, when you're camping, and you change, you do so in your sleeping bag. The only time you'd go off behind a rock is for, ah, other business. ^_^. Second, Miko doesn't seem like the kind of girl who would say the words "magical time" seriously. But maybe that's just me. :-) Overall, I liked Miko a lot -- very genki and cute without being obnoxious.

4) The Game
As a game, I expected a *lot* more interaction. There were probably less than 7 choices in the whole game. They wouldn't have even had to have been real choices; all that I needed was the illusion of choice; otherwise, I'm just reading somebody else's fanfiction, basically. For example, when Miko asks if you'll protect her, you should have a few choices like, "Well, you probably wouldn't need me to, since you're so capable!" or "I would, but without your help I'd probably just end up in another hole" in addition to, "Of course I'd protect you". Miko may say the same thing to you no matter what you say (that makes coding easier), but perhaps her "score" would change differently. Adding just a few more choices would help make ToL seem more like a game and less like just a story, even if the choices aren't all that different.

5) Overall
I had fun! I laughed a couple times, and I enjoyed it. That's the most important thing, isn't it? :-)

Keep up the good work! I hope to see more great work from you in the future!