google images in vn?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Syo

google images in vn?

#1 Post by Syo »

Now, I might have the stupidest question out there but this topic kinda confuses me so Id just like to make it clear.
Can you use google images (art/photos) in your vn or would that be a problem on law grounds?
If I have to be honest, Id say the answers is 'no, you cant' but I have seen some vns with pictures just taken from google.. So anyone knows about this?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: google images in vn?

#2 Post by LVUER »

You have to check the license PER image. Google doesn't own any of those images, they only show you their search result.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#3 Post by Alte »

I don't recommend using Google Images as resources.

Unless you have permission from the site owner to use it, speaking of the specific image.

There's two questions that may answer to your questions from Google Faqs:

Search results

I found an image on Google Image Search that I want to use. Do I need permission to use it?

Yes you do need permission in order to use it. However Google does not own the images found via Google Search. You must contact the owner of the image (typically whoever first posted the image on the web) and obtain his/her permission in order to use it.

I found a video/image/page that I want to use. I know I need permission, but don't have the contact information for the owner of the page. Can Google look it up and share it with me?

We can't share user information as that would be a violation of our privacy agreements with our users. We suggest looking on the site in question for a way to contact the site's webmaster.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It sounds too much of a work if you don't know what you're doing.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#4 Post by Anne »

You can use license filter while searching. You'd still have to credit the author (= find who that is before using the image)

Holland
Regular
Projects: Lycoris: Their Journies [WIP], With or Without You [NaNo19]

#5 Post by Holland »

License filtering on Google isn't really an exact art. A lot of people will post images from other sources and change the license settings (usually because they don't understand how the licensing works).

It's better to use proper free use image galleries where you can sort through different licenses and contact the artists in question. Just do a regular search for "free images for X use". (X being "commercial" or "non-commercial", depending on your game.) There are tons of sites to use.

Alternatively, you can look through what other users found or are offering in the Creative Commons forum.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#6 Post by Alte »

That's the first I heard of google's license filter and I just figured out how to use it. *adjust glasses

Before anyone read my instructions, I prefer you look for an alternative than following these multiple step process. Such as BarabiSama's suggestion of looking into the Creative Commons forum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After typing what you're looking for, hit the search (magnifying glass) button on images.

1. Click on "Search Tool" which is the right of "More▼"

2. Below it there are options for you to pick from (like a mini drop down menu), select "Usage rights▼"

3. Select the following license you're looking for other than "Not filtered by license."
- Labeled for reuse with modification
- Labeled for reuse
- Labeled for noncommercial reuse with modification
- Labeled for noncommercial reuse

4. Click on the image that you want to use on your on the search gallery.

5. Then click on "Visit page" to find the author and follow their terms.
As Anne mentioned, "you still need to credit the author. (= find who that is before using the image)"
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

You MIGHT be able to, Google Images dont' belong to Google, it's a search for images on websites. Some of them might be free to use but if they don't have that license, assume they aren't.