Does anyone know what was used to make this?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SophieClaire

Does anyone know what was used to make this?

#1 Post by SophieClaire »

I was searching through the forums reading about 3d art when I came across this person who created a visual novel using ren'py and some sort of 3d software. I'm not sure who's this is I'm not taking credit for it or anything I just really would like to know how they did it I think its gorgeous.

(Been using Daz studio blender, etc. For the passed year or so now.)

And I saw this persons art and characters and immediately fell in love with the style.

I've seen/played a few 3d visual novels before and most of the time they look kind of dead and plastic like but these characters kind of remind me of Life is Strange....

And sorry if this is the wrong place for this I just joined today because I was curious to how this person did this...

Thanks for reading.. :shock:
Attachments
Night_zps94a7800a.jpg

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Re: Does anyone know what was used to make this?

#2 Post by ludeshka »

That's Toire no Hanako, by Donmai!

This is what Donmai said about the graphics in the game's thread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24969
Donmai wrote:
gekiganwing wrote:I'm not sure what you did to give the graphics in Toire no Hanako a distinct appearance, but I like it.
TNH graphics were all created using an old version of DAZ|Studio (version 3.1.2.32 to be exact. Yes, it's a free application).
What I couldn't render I simply draw over the renders (like the girl's skirts and the hair of some of the characters).

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: Blackberry Honey, Mermaid of Zennor, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicles of Mars, etc.
Deviantart: Renmiou

#3 Post by Renmiou »

I'm fairly sure Donmai uses a combination of Poser and Photoshop post-processing - he's mentioned Photoshop in his NaNoRenO thread: viewtopic.php?p=410817#p410817

Of course, the best way to find out would be to ask him, I'm sure he won't mind but I'm guessing it's a matter of setting up Poser models and lights and then experiment with filters in Photoshop and textures and maybe paint a bit as well. I agree, his art does indeed look quite nice. :)

Edit: Incorrect answer, see Donmai's own post below for details on the process.
Last edited by Renmiou on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#4 Post by firecat »

it also requires skill, you can get the programs but you wont be able to copy the same kind of graphics.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Its basically 3D art with a photoshop filter which can eliminate a bit of the uncanny valley from it.

If you want to truly get rid of the uncanny valley however, IMO its best to have pre-rendered 3D animations or full 3D in an engine like Unity. Static 3D art always looks a bit strange. The added filter may not be to everyone's taste outside of an experimental context.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

Hi SophieClaire.
Contrary to what the notorious member of the Anti3D Squad is mistakenly telling you above, my Toire No Hanako images weren't filtered in Photoshop, uncanny valley isn't a privilege of 3D images, and yes, 3D software is good (and very good) for creating static images, if you have some basic illustration skills and you haven't known 3D only in videogames.
In TNH I've used DAZ Studio with an old 3Delight surface shader called PW-Sketch, which renders the images with a crayon look (unfortunately, PW-Sketch isn't sold anymore). I use Photoshop to modify colors (I won't dare say "correct" because I believe I'm a bit color blind :lol: ) and some layering corrections of eventually too dark or overexposed image details. Depending on the style chosen for the final image, I also draw some details over the rendered images.
Image below is from "Running Blade", my NaNoRenO entry which I'm yet to finish. It's a plain DAZ Studio 3Delight render using Age of Armour's environment camera to simulate atmospheric effects, and a custom light set. Any resemblance to Edvard Munch's famous painting was intentional. Click on the thumbnail to see the 1024x576 image.
shot08.jpg
No, the guy with the dark hat doesn't have to die, you only have to make the right choice to help him to escape (even if he loses his hat sometimes) :wink: .
runaway03.jpg
runaway04.jpg
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

So Donmai, I have a question.

I am not against 3D, on the contrary, I'm quite interested in it. I've downloaded Daz and when I get time I'll dive into it.

But...

I dislike a lot of the 3D I see in VNs. Why? Two things mostly. 1) The clothes often look bad. There are no wrinkles, the conform to the body in odd ways. They look really fake. But your clothes look so wonderful! How do you get you clothes to look so good? 2) The figures often are not very expressive--especially in the eyes. Your figures are very expressive, how do you do that?

In short, how do you so excellently get around those two pitfalls I often see.

Note: it seems to be about wrinkles. You get wrinkles on fabric and wrinkles on faces. How do you do it?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#8 Post by Donmai »

Hi trooper6. I will try to be as breef as possible, even if discussing 3D techniques may be considered on topic here. It's only that, when we talk about 3D in this forum, I feel like a lot of red bloodshot eyes are looking at me in anger :lol: .

First, clothes: there are 3 kind of clothes you can use: simple props (like a bikini, for example) that are just parented to the figure, conforming clothes that have "bones" similar to the human figure (those are the ones which deform badly in some poses) and dynamic clothes, which simulate real cloth, but I never use them because they make my seven year old machine crawl and moan. What makes clothing looks better is the resolution of the model. DAZ Studio lets you increase the model resolution, if needed. The quality of the original model is important, too. The clothes of the running man in my pictures (Luthbell's "Eldritch Seeker") are beautifully done by the original modeller, but the suit of the man that is in the background on the first picture is terrible (that's why I put him in the background :) ). Another thing that helps clothes look better is surface properties adjust and proper lighting and shadows. Light is the most important element in any 3D render. If the model is what I want, but it isn't good (I have to use a lot of free models created by amateurs like me), I try increasing it's resolution and doing some touch up manually in Photoshop. If it's totally hopeless, I render the model half nude and draw the clothes over him.

Facial expressions: body language and facial expressions were more difficult to do in my Toire No Hanako days, when I had to adjust each face element with patience. These days, it has become easier. In DAZ Studio, use any selection tool and click on the model's head. Go to the parameters tab. Click on "pose controls", then on "head", then on "expressions". You will see a list of basic facial expressions you can apply to your model. You can refine them, or mix and match expressions. Or you can click on each face element on the face cathegory and adjust them one by one. Again, adjusting surface properties (especially in the eyes) light and shadow and camera angles can make your figure look more expressive. If everything is not enough for what you want, Photoshop (or Gimp) tools are there to help. 3D is only one more tool.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#9 Post by firecat »

i like to add that 3D models have been used in vn before, the techniques Donmai used does help but it can be better. Animation is the key element that will bring the 3d vn into life. why is this better? well with non-moving models you must always keep changing the arms/legs/face/hair while animation you need to build the model one time then make the command actions.

this is one good example of the use:
https://youtu.be/omseF9UePcY?t=1m55s

the animation technique might require you to go to school and again there's also the which engine to use problem so ya. still 3D modeling has gone a long way, one day people might see 3D vn as a main.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#10 Post by trooper6 »

Thanks for the answers Donmai!
Side Note: I'd really love to see a Donmai 3D tutorial in the Art section.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: Blackberry Honey, Mermaid of Zennor, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicles of Mars, etc.
Deviantart: Renmiou

#11 Post by Renmiou »

trooper6 wrote:Thanks for the answers Donmai!
Side Note: I'd really love to see a Donmai 3D tutorial in the Art section.
No pressure, but I'd really second that. :D

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Donmai »

firecat wrote:Animation is the key element that will bring the 3d vn into life.
As I stated several times before, I use 3D software as only one more tool to create illustrations. I have no interest in becoming an animator. Even the new movie sprites feature in Ren'Py isn't teasing me, although DAZ Studio is able to do, with little effort, some things very similar to what people is struggling to do in Live 2D or Emofuri. Of course I know 3D is also used in action games, VNs and anime. I know they exist, but I never did and I have no plans to do a "3D VN". I'm happy doing sequential art like comics and VNs. At least for now, I can't see why making them fully animated would make them "better". One day I may think differently, but I see sequential art and animation as different arts.
trooper6 wrote:Side Note: I'd really love to see a Donmai 3D tutorial in the Art section.
Who knows?