That Cheap and Sacred Thing [Complete]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: [WIP] "That Cheap and Sacred Thing" Recruiting!

#61 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Programmed to increase in size... does she go macro? Or do you mean the size of her memory, not physical size? Well, I can't go through the whole thing in one sitting so I'll do it in sections as I play it.

Uhh, the intro was a little wordy. I sliced it down for you and added some more parallelism and moved the intro into the present tense to work with the first sentence.

I kept everything in passive tense but I changed all "who" into "which"—this is an important distinction. A person is a "who." She obviously does not consider herself an individual yet.

Really great intro, BTW, if I wasn't sold before, I am now.

Edit:

Code: Select all

"I am a series of programs."
    "First program: {w=1}I will make a loud noise to alert other models of the same kind as me that there is a problem,{w=.5} which is then investigated and corrected."
    "Second program: {w=1}I am programmed to feel affection for models which correct my problems. {w} This is to assure that I stay with models which protect me."
    "Third program: {w=1}As time passes, {w=.25}I am programmed to increase in size, and learn problem-solving strategies."
    "I am programmed to feel upset whenever I require energy,{w=.5} whenever I am near unknown entities or in an unknown environment...{w=1} and whenever there is an internal error."
    "All the models of my kind stay together because we are programmed with a desire to be social. {w}So I possess the quality of wanting to belong to a group."
    "We are provided with information to be used for our protection."
    "I become able to manufacture other models, {w=.5}and I am programmed to feel affection for models which have the capacity to manufacture other models with me."
    "I am programmed to feel affection."
    "Pleasure."
    "We are programmed to feel immense pleasure during manufacturing to insure that we complete the process."
    "Then, I will be programmed to feel affection for the newly created model{w=.25} so that I will protect it and help it to reach the stage when it also manufactures more models,{w=.5} so that our make will continue."
Originally:

"After I was manufactured, I was programmed to feel upset whenever I required energy{w}, whenever I was near unknown entities or in an unknown environment{w}, whenever there was some internal error."
    "I was programmed to make a loud noise to alert other models of the same make of the problem{w}, which would be investigated and corrected by them."
    "I was programmed to feel affection for the models that correct my problems."
    "This was to assure that I stayed with models that would protect me."
    "As time passed, I was programmed to increase in size, and learn problem-solving strategies."
    "My programming made me recognize the models most similar to myself, and my programming made me feel affection for them.{w} We helped each other and spent time together because we were programmed with a desire to be social." 
    "This insures that we stayed with a group, and thus were better protected against threats{w} and that we were provided with information, also used for our protection."
    "When my capacities to manufacture other models had developed{w}, I was programmed to feel affection for models who have the capacity to manufacture other models with me."
    "We are programmed to feel immense pleasure during manufacturing to insure that we complete the process."
    "Then, I would be programmed to feel affection for the newly created model{w} so that I will protect it and help it to reach the stage when it also manufactures more models,{w} so that our make will continue."
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#62 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Proofreading, ahoy!

Frankly, there's not a lot to fix. What story there is goes quickly and very succinctly. I'm happy to say that the intro is the only "wordy" part so far that I've found. And I like how it quickly goes in for the heavy themes. Okay, so it's an "As you know Bob" speech but they're discussing it very realistically... just without the "as you know."

The only thing I'm curious about is the location they're all talking in, but I'm assuming gestures and expressions will be covered in the sprites.
make.JPG
hyphens.JPG
omit.JPG
its.JPG
LOL.JPG
I am so glad I signed up for this, all my robot and bondage fetishes are totally covered. Oh, and I think your layout is really hard to read, it's hard to see light gray on white in the menu/prefs/save screens and the yes/no dialogs.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

blueeyes1345
Regular
Projects: Short School Dating Sims Game
Organization: Emyth Zandra

#63 Post by blueeyes1345 »

wow...
i wasn't around for 1 day and the next thing i know, you have already posted so much...

anyway i am working on Jude now. Will pm each of you individually my email address.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by JinzouTamashii »

blueeyes1345 wrote:wow...
i wasn't around for 1 day and the next thing i know, you have already posted so much...
Weekend~
anyway i am working on Jude now. Will pm each of you individually my email address.
Okay, post it up when you're done.

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#65 Post by carosene »

You like it?! T_T<~Tears of joy! I'm sooo happy! I was pretty scared that I got too caught up in creating what seemed to me how a robot-prostitute market would be like that I totally alienated my audience. ^-^;;
JinzouTamashii wrote:Programmed to increase in size... does she go macro? Or do you mean the size of her memory, not physical size? Well, I can't go through the whole thing in one sitting so I'll do it in sections as I play it.

Uhh, the intro was a little wordy. I sliced it down for you and added some more parallelism and moved the intro into the present tense to work with the first sentence.

I kept everything in passive tense but I changed all "who" into "which"—this is an important distinction. A person is a "who." She obviously does not consider herself an individual yet.

Really great intro, BTW, if I wasn't sold before, I am now.
Yeah, it is pretty wordy. ^-^;; Thanks so much for looking at it and editing it, I love what you've done! :D What does the number with the w mean, by the way? Is that a time delay? (I'm a new to scripting, kind of learning as I go... ^-^;; )

I hope you understood my intro. o.o;; If not, I'll seriously have to re-do it. The intro is Autumn describing humans as if they were robots. The whole thing is metaphorical, and has no direct relation to the story, other than to set us up thematically to challenge the distinction between what is robot and what is human. When she refers to increase in size, she's explaining human physical growth from baby to adult. Is there a clearer way to explain growth?
JinzouTamashii wrote:Proofreading, ahoy!

Frankly, there's not a lot to fix. What story there is goes quickly and very succinctly. I'm happy to say that the intro is the only "wordy" part so far that I've found. And I like how it quickly goes in for the heavy themes. Okay, so it's an "As you know Bob" speech but they're discussing it very realistically... just without the "as you know."

The only thing I'm curious about is the location they're all talking in, but I'm assuming gestures and expressions will be covered in the sprites.
I totally ran spellcheck just before I posted it. XD
It totally is a "As you know Bob" speech. XD I'm glad it wasn't too painful. (I totally enjoy it, it's so weird.) A lot of important information is covered there. Is it a successful "as you know" speech? Is it pretty clear what each type of robot is for?
The location is Nadiya's house, where Autumn's birthday party will be located. Hopefully this will be apparent shortly. :D
JinzouTamashii wrote:
make.JPG
Nope, "get" is correct. Robots are bought by consumers, made by companies. :D
JinzouTamashii wrote:
LOL.JPG
Lol! Glad you liked it. XD That's totally not original. XD I stole that from a comic book called "Surrogates" that was recently turned into a movie featuring Bruce Willis. Amazing comic book. Heard the movie wasn't very good. Actually I want to say that remark was from a scene that was cut from the book but was included in the bonus material... (so maybe I could pretend I came up with it. XD) I'm starting to think it looks silly capitalized though...
JinzouTamashii wrote: I am so glad I signed up for this, all my robot and bondage fetishes are totally covered. Oh, and I think your layout is really hard to read, it's hard to see light gray on white in the menu/prefs/save screens and the yes/no dialogs.
Yay, I'm glad. XD Though I don't think bondage ever comes up again. (Don't be too disappointed. ^-^;; )
Good point. It's actually just one of the pre-made choices. :? I shall try to see if I can darken the text some...
blueeyes1345 wrote:wow...

Lol, crazy stuff happens around here. XD Do you best! I will follow suit with the addresses.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

blueeyes1345
Regular

#66 Post by blueeyes1345 »

oh yar i will go read up on the script when i got home from school today XD

carosene
Veteran

#67 Post by carosene »

Awesome! :D Thanks so much.

So, totally screw the two-three days thing, I have my artist directions right now. o.o; I'm sending them around to everyone, because they contain massive spoilers, of course. I'll make up a simple/rough list to post here too.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#68 Post by JinzouTamashii »

carosene wrote:creating what seemed to me how a robot-prostitute market would totally alienate my audience.
You forget that your audience is largely inured to all kinds of strange things that go in anime...

hell, I'm a bit of a fan of the recent ファイト一発!充電ちゃん or Charging Girls or Fight! Ippatsu Juuden-chan or whatever it goes by nowadays... and that involved bats and sexy robot-style girls too.

What does the number with the w mean, by the way? Is that a time delay?
Yes.

The intro is Autumn describing humans as if they were robots. The whole thing is metaphorical, and has no direct relation to the story, other than to set us up thematically to challenge the distinction between what is robot and what is human. When she refers to increase in size, she's explaining human physical growth from baby to adult. Is there a clearer way to explain growth?
Nope, I didn't get it. You were too subtle... haha. You should include an epilogue or something in the middle with the same wording as the intro where she talks about it and it's really clear that it's humans.

"I am a human."
    "First program: {w=1}I will yell to alert other people when there is a problem,{w=.5} which is then investigated and corrected by the police."
And so forth.

I'm starting to think it looks silly capitalized though...
It... kind of does.

Don't be too disappointed.
Oh, that's okay, I'll just make my own fanart on the side. Muahahaha!
(slight warning, might not be SFW:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt27aZzEC2Y

Well, anyway, I read over the CG and sprite and background list. *cracks knuckles* Can't wait to get started.

blueeyes1345
Regular

#69 Post by blueeyes1345 »

Hmm i dunno if this qn could be ask here so i just post it under spoiler.
So this EIJ person isit Elly or isit Jude? or isit Elly's "mind" in Jude's Body?
From the desciption Elly is suppose to be a girl right? so if EIJ is Elly's "mind" in Jude's Body, am i suppose to potray him more girl like? Or a guy with some of Elly's personalities?
I think i might need to go through the script to get what you mean XD

drawing_is_fun
Regular
Projects: -None-

#70 Post by drawing_is_fun »

I'll be reading the script, sorry for the delay...since i'm busy doing illustration...to sustain my life
SO many was posted already,. can't wait to color some of them

wohoo..haha, this is great stuff, and nice proofreading (grammar and spell check).
-- note yourself: "do homework first before anything else" ---

its just the way it is

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#71 Post by JinzouTamashii »

drawing_is_fun wrote: So many were posted already... I can't wait to color some of them.
Where? I don't see any sketches...

drawing_is_fun
Regular
Projects: -None-

#72 Post by drawing_is_fun »

drawing_is_fun wrote: So many were posted already...
*Above* the spelling and the story were posted..
drawing_is_fun wrote:I can't wait to color some of them.
well there is nothing yet but i'm excited to color them

sorry for the misunderstanding..
-- note yourself: "do homework first before anything else" ---

its just the way it is

blueeyes1345
Regular

#73 Post by blueeyes1345 »

hmm i just read through the story and i think it was great.
abit sad though towards the end.

Sorry i am still working on it.

carosene
Veteran

#74 Post by carosene »

Sorry, I'll reply to everything in a couple of hours, but for now:
blueeyes1345 wrote:Hmm i dunno if this qn could be ask here so i just post it under spoiler.
So this EIJ person isit Elly or isit Jude? or isit Elly's "mind" in Jude's Body?
From the desciption Elly is suppose to be a girl right? so if EIJ is Elly's "mind" in Jude's Body, am i suppose to potray him more girl like? Or a guy with some of Elly's personalities?
I think i might need to go through the script to get what you mean XD
Yeah, EIJ is just me being lazy and contracting Elly-In-Jude. :) It is literally Elly's mind in Jude's body. This is why I make a big deal in the artist directions about Elly and Jude's body language-- Elly should still have the body language she has in her own body, but now it's Jude's body.
Does that make any sense? ^-^;
drawing_is_fun wrote:I'll be reading the script, sorry for the delay...since i'm busy doing illustration...to sustain my life
SO many was posted already,. can't wait to color some of them
Don't worry about it, take your time. :D
blueeyes1345 wrote:hmm i just read through the story and i think it was great.
abit sad though towards the end.

Sorry i am still working on it.
Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! XD Yeah... it is. ^-^;;
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

carosene
Veteran

#75 Post by carosene »

JinzouTamashii wrote:You forget that your audience is largely inured to all kinds of strange things that go in anime...

hell, I'm a bit of a fan of the recent ファイト一発!充電ちゃん or Charging Girls or Fight! Ippatsu Juuden-chan or whatever it goes by nowadays... and that involved bats and sexy robot-style girls too.
That's true! But there are normal people who play visual novels too... ... Aren't there? XD Ok, maybe not.
I looked it up on ANN. Lol is all I have to say. XD

And at the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei thing... lol, is all I have to say again.
I would love to see fanart~~ XD Even SZS robot bondage-esque fanart.... lol. Though maybe we should do art first. XD

Yay! I'm so glad your excited about starting! :D Nothing is more exciting to me than listen to you guys get excited about this. XD

I redid the intro myself to try and clear it up. :D Is this more clear?

"A robot."
    "I was manufactured in a small unit."
    "I could not do anything, so I relied on other robots of the same make to take care of me."
    "I was programmed to feel upset whenever there was an internal error or an external danger."
    "And whenever I felt upset, my optical devices would emit water, and I would make loud noises to alert my fellow robots of the problem."
    "Which they would then correct."
    "I was programmed to feel affection for these robots that cared for me."
    "This assured that I stayed with models that would protect me."
    "As time passed, I increased in physical size and learned problem-solving strategies."
    "So I could look out for my own system."
    "I am programmed to feel affection for the robots most similar to my model."
    "We were programmed with a desire to be social, so we spent time together and helped each other."
    "This was to ensure that we stayed in a protected group."
    "When my capacities to manufacture other robots fully developed,{w} I was programmed to be attracted for other robots that had the capacity to manufacture with me."
    "Then, I would be programmed to feel affection for the newly created model{w} so that I will protect it and help it to reach the stage when it also manufactures more models."
    "So that our make will continue."
    "I am called Autumn Godfrey. {w} And I am a human."
    "..."
    #Autumn's bedroom
    "No, no, I'm not really a robot or anything."
    "I've just been thinking."
    "But it's kind of surreal to think of humans as machines, right?"
    "But in a way, isn't that really what we are?"
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA