Reduce Renpy game loading time on android

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Rnot2000
Regular

Reduce Renpy game loading time on android

#1 Post by Rnot2000 »

So i make renpy game on android, but it seem have some long loading like took 45 sec - 1 minute, :( :( :(
Is there any trick to reduce loading screen on android when opening the game ???

> its have like 5.000 picture (i compress from PNG to WEBP to reduce size of the pic)
> my game APK size is 311 mb
> i have this is one .rpy file that have 50.000 line... (is it make the loading took so long ???)

i'm using POCO F1 6GB ram - Snapdragon 845

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

Re: Reduce Renpy game loading time on android

#2 Post by uyjulian »

I would suggest splitting up the .rpy file.

That will allow smaller "compilation units" so it will reduce the loading time.

Also, I would suggest reducing duplicated code using features such as Creator-Defined Statements.

Other than that, not too sure.

One of the possible reasons for long loading time: Ren'Py is bottlenecked on .rpy loading due to the "pickle" library allocating lots of small objects, which will increase the loading time. I'd like to submit changes to Ren'Py to defer more loading at runtime (making it so, at most at initialization time, the .rpyc file is read to buffer) to decrease the initial loading time