Unable to play Any RenPy games from External HDD's

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NanoWarz

Unable to play Any RenPy games from External HDD's

#1 Post by NanoWarz »

To make room on my internal HDD's I've begun storing files on External HDD's.
I have no problems running any RenPy games from Internal HDD's, however when trying to play same RenPy Games from said External Drives I get following Error Message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have an older Medion HDD and a newer WD Elements HDD. The issue occurs regardless which External Drive I use.
Admitted I'm a Noob in this regard... Is there something I'm missing, anything RenPy related that needs to be added or redirected to or from my External HDD's for it to work?

Hope someone can help solve this. Already tried browsing the Forums, as well as Google for solutions. Not been able to find anything useful.

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

Re: Unable to play Any RenPy games from External HDD's

#2 Post by uyjulian »

Is the drive formatted as NTFS?

NanoWarz

#3 Post by NanoWarz »

Yeah, it is and no Group Policies or 'Limited' use of files, folders or drives is preventing any other files being run or executed from the HDD's.
- Only RenPy Game files will not 'run'.

tornsoul
Regular

#4 Post by tornsoul »

No clue but: Try right-clicking the game exe and "run as administrator" see if it makes any difference (not sure why that would even be needed - But worth a shot)