[CLOSED] Background Artist for Dark Fantasy Game

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
AmityAngel
Completed: Ethereal Abyss
Projects: Lost Girl in Dark Forest
Organization: AngelQuarts
Deviantart: angelquarts
Discord: Zara#9245

[CLOSED] Background Artist for Dark Fantasy Game

#1 Post by AmityAngel »

Intro post about the game on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64336
(I should probably rewrite it, though :| )

Hello! I'm looking to hire a background artist who is willing to commit to at least 15 BG images. The total for these 15 images will be $300 USD and I'd like to pay for 3 at a time, then continue once each set is finished.

Basically, the visual novel is a dark fantasy-ish "dating sim" sort of game where an initially broken and depressed girl falls into the Shadow Realm and meets the Shadow Lord who promises to help her return to the human realm once she feels better. The game is largerly based on a map navigation system where you choose her actions each day for 20 days, with "main story progression" common events on days 10, 15, and 20. There are two characters who you can raise affection with and see special character events on the map - the Shadow Lord and a Demon Wolf who tried to eat her at first. 8) You can also raise affection with the creepy-but-cute little shadow creatures who inhabit the realm, and there are 3 main endings to get here, with 1 "ending" actually being a continuation of the story that will lead into the Second Act. Right now, I'm just focusing on finishing the First Act and plan to release a decently polished demo of it.
✶ Game's current progress: Prologue finished, Map Navigation & Character Event Trigger System implemented, Library common events scripted. Currently working on writing/scripting the rest of the "common events" that happen at each location you can visit. all images are placements, though Freya & Shadow Lord's sprites are appearance-accurate since one is a commission and the other I drew previously.

Since there will be a second and third act of the visual novel, there is opportunity to be commissioned for additional images as well once I get to that point.
Though most of the BGs will remain the same, there may be 5-10 additional ones in those parts.
Also, there may end up being more than 15 images in the first act, too, I often don't realize I need something until I actually start writing the relevant part... haha.
So, I'd prefer someone who is ultimately open to accepting more than 15 images if need be.

Now, requirements and details and such...
✶ I'd strongly prefer someone who is willing to at least play through the prologue sequence (it's 30-40 mins long), library actions (< 10 mins long), and the initial scene that plays when you visit Shadow Lord's room for the first time (< 5 mins) just to get a basic feel of the vibe for the game.
✶ I'm pretty chill with time requirements since the game is still fairly early in production. Max deadline will be 1 month for each set of 3 BG images.
✶ For most of the images, you're going to have a good amount of creative freedom. I have an idea in mind for the overall "atmosphere" of the world in the game, but not really anything super specific. I'm very open to seeing how a BG artist will interpret the ideas for the locations, and as long as it fits the vibe of the world, I'll usually accept it.
✶ The world in which the BGs will be drawn is the "Shadow Realm," a dark, lonely, and gloomy place where the lost often find themselves. Eccentric, creepy-but-cute little shadow beings live in this world - they are entities who manifest from the collected emotions of loneliness, despair, and hopelessness that emanate from the human realm.
✶ A handful of BGs will also be inside of the "Shadow Lord's Temple." You can get a feel for the Shadow Lord by playing what I have of the game so far, but he's an enigmatic yet eccentric, contemplative yet caring ruler and caretaker of the shadow beings.
One BG is of being inside the Hell realm, and one inside an Archdemon's Castle. Be sure you're comfortable with that before signing on... though my demons are pretty quirky and the story doesn't take itself super-seriously. Think Disgaea demons.

✶ I'm not picky about skill level - I just want someone who can draw BGs better than me, because they are my weakness as an artist. :cry: (as you can see in that promo image up there, lol) I care far more about the BG artwork being correctly "stylized" for the theme of the setting, and fitting in the vibe of the world, rather than just looking "good." Since the world is such a fantasy-like, stylized place (shadows and gloominess) it might be good for someone who's an amateur to get practice, and I welcome newbies so long as you at least have a few samples of BGs you've drawn. :) Most of the BGs are nature or interior backgrounds, but there is one that shows the exterior front-side of the Shadow Lord's temple. Doesn't need to be super-fancy, though, just like the rest.

Sample of some of the BGs you'll draw: Shadow Lord's Throne Room, Pond, Garden of Dark Flowers, Cabin in the Woods (interior)

If interested, send some sample BGs and state if you are willing to play through the bit of the visual novel that I specified.
Best way to contact me is through e-mail at vhaagar@gmail.com.
Last edited by AmityAngel on Mon May 30, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

Re: [OPEN] Background Artist for Dark Fantasy Game | 15 BGs for $300

#2 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Wish I had BG experience so I could help ye out! Best of luck on the project
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Bennee
Discord: Bennee#2791

Re: [OPEN] Background Artist for Dark Fantasy Game | 15 BGs for $300

#3 Post by Bennee »

Hi, the story sounds so interesting! Here is some of my work, I’m mostly a character artist but I work as a bg artist for webtoon as well. I have work with bg’s in my portfolio as well. Please take a look. You can dm me, or email: benneegreene@gmail.com.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 2xkOFwzUvI