Ren'Py 5.1.4 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 5.1.4 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I just uploaded to the server the latest release of Ren'Py, version 5.1.4 "Love Simulation Syndrome". This releases features the ability to put pauses in the middle of dialogue, a framerate limiter, and some hooks that will one day be used to improve voice support. As is necessary to keep the world in harmony, the latest release of Ren'Py is available from the Ren'Py website:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/

Upgrade by copying over the game directory, as there are no necessary changes to the script entailed by this version, unless one wants to use the new features.

For this release only, I'm offering a free download of Ren'Py to anyone who figures out what the title refers to.

New in 5.1.4

Implemented two new text tags, {w} and {p}. {w} pauses the display of dialogue, waiting for the user to click to continue. {p} does the same thing, but also breaks the line where it occurs.

Added a framerate limiter. When enabled by setting config.framerate, Ren'Py limits the number of frames that are displayed per second to the supplied values. This tends to smooth out the framerate, and hence the percieved smoothness of the program. It will lower the overall framerate, but make it more regular.

Some improvements in the auto-forward mode. AFM will no longer dismiss text when it is still being drawn onto the screen. (Because the text speed is not infinite.) There is now also an AFM callback that can be used to control if an auto-forward occurs. This is intended to be used with the new renpy.sound.is_playing call, to prevent auto-forwarding from occuring if when a voice is being played. I'm not bothering to actually implement much of the voice functionality until someone seriously proposes a voiced game, but I do want to add in the infrastructure.

Increased the default rollback length to back 100, now that we have a readback extra people can use if they want to. Updated readback so it works a little better.

Updated LICENSE.txt, to point to a mirror site that contains the source code for the LGPL libraries used in the various binary distributions of Ren'Py.
Last edited by PyTom on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oyster

#2 Post by oyster »

thanx for the new release
For this release only, I'm offering a free download of Ren'Py to anyone who figures out what the title refers to.
what does that mean? English is not my native language, I cannot understand you. Is Ren'Py not free anymore?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

It's a joke. The idea is that since I'm too cheap to give a real prize out, I give them as a prize the same thing that I get everyone else.

Don't worry about it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

shaja
Regular

#4 Post by shaja »

Ahh, Love Simulation Syndrome.

It's good to have Hasegawa-san back, ne?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

Just wanted to note that the framerate limitation didn't help for my problem :/..
I noticed the fade out right when starting a new game is very fast, yet all others in-game are not (any difference in how each is done ?).

I started working on my project anyway. I just love the script system and I guess I'll do without smoothness unless you find something.
Oh, btw, I used the Pan move along with renpy.pause and (probably) because of the slowdown, putting the same time value in both leads to the pause being *much* longer than the pan animation. I think the pause value is respected, but not the pan animation.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

shaja >> Right on. And there's also a thread on Ren'Py on the TC forums, which Akira suggested I create.

monele >> can you send an example of the pan code that's broken? I'll check it out. It works on the MW script (which I keep reasonably up to date).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

Code: Select all

label maison_1:
    scene bg house at Pan((0,0),(0,373),5) with fade
    $ renpy.pause(1.5)

"Nous étions enfin arrivés."
That's how I use it right now so the pause ends just a bit before the pan ends. If I use "5.0" for both pan and pause, and let the game flow (no interrupting click), the pan ends about 1 second before the pause. The pause seems to take 6 seconds instead of 5.
If I click during the fade out though, it starts panning with a 100% visible picture (normal) and the pause will end right when the pan finishes.

Oh, I tried "with None" and equal time values (5.0), and it's synched. Fade is guilty :/

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

Actually fade is just fine. The clock for Pan starts at the start of the transition where it is first shown to the screen. So at the end of a 1s transition, the Pan will be 1s complete.

So, it's not a bug but a feature.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

Oh so you mean it actually starts while the screen is fading *out* ? ^^;... I see... Well I'll try to make a dissolve to black, place the new scene, fade in, and *then* Pan...