An Informational Lolita VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
glamsam8

An Informational Lolita VN?

#1 Post by glamsam8 »

I would like to make a VN kind of in the style of the tutorial game... I want it to give the player an indepth explanation of the Japanese Lolita fashion and lifestyle. I don't quite know if a storyline would work with this type of game. As you can see, I'm very unsure of myself at the moment =.= All comments and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

Re: An Informational Lolita VN?

#2 Post by cloudyssky »

A story line wouldn't be needed, you're correct on that part. But don't over think this little project of yours. Simply add a few pictures of Japanese people dressed in Lolita, add a little J-Pop background music (I don't know about J-Pop, but there's a ton of free to use music at www.newgrounds.com/audio) and some narration text and you're all good.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

glamsam8

#3 Post by glamsam8 »

cloudyssky wrote:A story line wouldn't be needed, you're correct on that part. But don't over think this little project of yours. Simply add a few pictures of Japanese people dressed in Lolita, add a little J-Pop background music (I don't know about J-Pop, but there's a ton of free to use music at http://www.newgrounds.com/audio) and some narration text and you're all good.
lol thanks for the suggestions and music link~ now to recruit people~

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#4 Post by LinWest »

Funny you should mention a lolita visual novel. I'm currently in the writing stages of a Lolita slice of life game...
It revolves around a girl who just wants to be herself and wear what she wants, but is struggling with whether or not to actually become a full-fledged lolita and deal with the stigma of being "one of those girls who dresses different" in the judgmental world that is highschool.

I've seen a lot of Lolita guides/rulebooks posted around. It'll be interesting to see it in a visual novel format. If you wanted to make a story, I could it as a girl flipping though a gothic& lolita bible look-a-like and learning all these new things about the fashion. Or maybe a fledgling lolita is asking question to another girl who's been in the lolita lifestyle for awhile and is juts learning about the rules.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Applegate »

It all depends on your target group. Who is your target audience?

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#6 Post by Morhighan »

I would be interested in said project. Perhaps it follows a protagonist who wants to join the Lolita culture and is thus studying up on it before they begin? incompetech.com has music as well.

LinWest
Regular

#7 Post by LinWest »

Applegate wrote:It all depends on your target group. Who is your target audience?
I imagine other fledging lolitas/young teen girl or people interested in the fashion who know about about through anime... Usually they're the ones guides like this are written for.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

glamsam8

#8 Post by glamsam8 »

LinWest wrote: If you wanted to make a story, I could it as a girl flipping though a gothic& lolita bible look-a-like and learning all these new things about the fashion. Or maybe a fledgling lolita is asking question to another girl who's been in the lolita lifestyle for awhile and is juts learning about the rules.
Thats a good idea ^^ I was actually thinking about making it kind of like the Ren'Py tutorial game... but I think that may be too boring =.= even though it would be very straight forward

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

We also need more non-fiction games.

If you can't integrate a story about a girl learning the ropes, try to have a mascot-teacher instead. If that can't be done, a straight up encyclopedia would work. It won't be 'fun', but it will be informative, which is most important. It may even reach the same target market as Brain Training.

glamsam8

#10 Post by glamsam8 »

DaFool wrote:We also need more non-fiction games.

If you can't integrate a story about a girl learning the ropes, try to have a mascot-teacher instead. If that can't be done, a straight up encyclopedia would work. It won't be 'fun', but it will be informative, which is most important. It may even reach the same target market as Brain Training.
Thats a really great idea too, you've got a point about the information, at least with remote interactivity people may absorb the information a little better

LinWest
Regular

#11 Post by LinWest »

DaFool wrote:We also need more non-fiction games.

Yeah, maybe something like the renpy "tutorial" game file that comes with the program.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

glamsam8

#12 Post by glamsam8 »

LinWest wrote: Yeah, maybe something like the renpy "tutorial" game file that comes with the program.
Thats actually EXACTLY what I was thinking ^^