NaNoRenO 2007- The ren'ai visual novel challenge!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
pheriannath
Regular

#106 Post by pheriannath »

Worked out my plot on Labyrinth (No, it's not a script, just a layout of what events has happened and will happen)and got all my character concepts in order (actually, only one of them matters this time). Yep, I think I'm set!

Although my requirements seem to have changed a little as a result. I'll go update the recruitment thread soon. I seem to have found a neat workaround for character art :)

absinthe
Regular

#107 Post by absinthe »

PyTom wrote:Now, if you really want rules from above, I would say that non-game-specific code is okay. If you can see other games using it, than it should be allowed. If it's something that only one game would make use of, it's less kosher.

If we really wanted to be hard-bottoms about it, then we could take a page from the pyweek rules, and say that any code should be made public. But I don't see a need for that.
Well, any code I'd use is pretty much edited from examples lifted from the forums anyway (we're not talking monele-level tinkering here, just some basic functions), though, so I think I don't feel badly about it. I'll probably end up rewriting that code from scratch in a new, clean, NaNo-specific folder on the first anyway; maybe I'll even come up with a better way to do things.

And I like the idea of the code being made public (although maybe not as a mandatory rule). I had a vague idea of releasing my navigation system into the wild eventually, but I figured there was no point until there's a finished game that uses it (for both showing people how it can be used and making sure any hideous bugs were quashed).

Oh, and...

Drum roll, please!

Lordcloudx has officially joined up to do the art for whatever this project is going to be called. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

TMS Fuu

#108 Post by TMS Fuu »

Yay! I'm excited to say that me and my good friend Tai will be participating this year as a team. (I signed up just to announce that. XD)

We don't have a name yet, but I think this will be a good challenge as to whether or not we have learned enough about game making to finish a project. (Plus, this sounds like so much fun. ^O^)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#109 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Welcome aboard. Game making is a lot of fun- but it's a lot of work too- hope you're prepared ^_^

Snow Puma

#110 Post by Snow Puma »

I may just be able to do a little something for this. I talked about it with my room-mate and he had a few good ideas for a story that got my art mojo flowing.
ImageImage

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#111 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

So, will you be joining? Or, are you still thinking about it? Oh, and welcome to the forums ^_^

Snow Puma

#112 Post by Snow Puma »

We'll see. Once we actually start work on it, I'll let you know.
ImageImage

Snow Puma

#113 Post by Snow Puma »

By the way, you guys could use a real logo. I threw this one together yesterday and, if you guys want to, you can feel free to use it.
Attachments
Computer + Novel = Visual Novel
Computer + Novel = Visual Novel
NaNoRenO.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
ImageImage

TMS Tai

#114 Post by TMS Tai »

Here to confirm what I parnter said. XD We'll be entering, although we don't know crap about how to make a game yet. But that just makes it more interesting and fun. ^^

Which would be better/easier to use to make a visual novel? ONScripter or Ren'Py? I don't know crap about programming and I've never done anything like this before so...

Or is there any other suggestions?

TMS stands for Team Mistral Sol, by the way. XD Just a bit of useless information.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#115 Post by DaFool »

Good luck finding support for ONSCRIPTER, especially for making games from scratch versus reverse-engineering games.

Well, my bias :(

Welcome! :D

pheriannath
Regular

#116 Post by pheriannath »

so, 2 more days before I will begin to script like crazy. I'm really concerned that my VN might end up to be all plot and no show...

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#117 Post by Counter Arts »

Haha... if it's all plot then that's fine. You can add the minor stuff later.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#118 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

TMS Tai wrote:Which would be better/easier to use to make a visual novel? ONScripter or Ren'Py? I don't know crap about programming and I've never done anything like this before so...

Or is there any other suggestions?
And now for a completely unfounded opinion- Definitely go with Ren'Py. I've never even taken a look at using ONScripter, but I'm fairly positive that you'll have better luck with Ren'Py. Ren'Py requires almost no programming if you want just the bare minimum. And it has become quite user friendly as of late. Plus you have several "experts" here that can answer your questions. My suggestion is to download Ren'Py RIGHT NOW, and go through the demo, look at the code for the basic stuff, read through tutorials, etc...
pheriannath wrote:so, 2 more days before I will begin to script like crazy. I'm really concerned that my VN might end up to be all plot and no show...
Yeah, I don't think you need to worry too much. The story is the central point. And you can always find others produce flashy images, or spice up the code to make things look cool.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#119 Post by Watercolorheart »

Where's the IntRenaimo/ Introductory-Nanoreno list?
I'm not even the same person anymore

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#120 Post by monele »

How to choose between engines :

- Download them
- Try the demos/examples to see if you can already spot features you need. The more demos/games you'll get for that engine, the more you can guess what it can do.
- Check out the code/script and see if you can understand what in the code does what on the screen.

Put features and ease of use in the scale and let your heart choose :)