Animated choice menus

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Animated choice menus

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I'm sure I saw a post on this once upon a time but I cannot find it anywhere... Anyway! I was wondering if and how it's possible to animate the choice menu?

At certain points of my game it gets tense, so I've love to be able to rattle the buttons (including the text) so they're slightly harder to click on.

I'm also thinking about floaty thought bubble buttons at other points of the game. I imagine it'll use similar code to the rattle effect. However, how would I be able to define and call different menus? It'd be great to have the default choice menu, rattle choice menu and cloud choice menu.

Thanks!

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Animated choice menus

#2 Post by philat »

The latest patreon post (feb 2019) should be a good place to start.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

Re: Animated choice menus

#3 Post by sheetcakeghost »

viewtopic.php?t=34340

That topic may have what you're looking for in it. It gives you various methods of applying ATL to the choice menu.

For variety you should be able to define several menu_window styles and use a variable to have the game pick the one you want to use.