ALICE (was: funny softwarez)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
saru
Regular

#16 Post by saru »

um . .

for tool i present to . . .

Renai Simulation School 2

it has tool to make character
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/digifami/pr ... ges/21.jpg
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/digifami/pr ... ges/20.jpg

um . . . .

if wanna make tool why you 're not make tool look like this?

http://flash.li.ru/pinguin/avatars.swf

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:But if you encourage artists to only adjust the lightness in order to shade, then it should work perfectly every time- as long as the image only has one color besides black and white. This is perfect for hair and eyes- which is what I think altering the hue would be most used for. But if you could create different layers for every color in a single article of clothing, then you could have complete control over all the colors- which would be really nice. It just requires a little thought before hand to do this, I think
I think this is fundamentally right. But of course, the question is, will artists be willing to give over that bit of control in order to make their stuff be automatically colorable. This is compounded by the fact that I've been working in the HSL colorspace, and not the HSV colorspace supported by most applications... So I'm not sure how well it would work with HSV-drawn images.

My gut feeling is that we will need to work around this somehow, if we want to allow people to mess with the non-hue dimensions of the colorspace... needed, for example, to turn blue eyes into brown eyes.

Although I'm not an expert on color-systems, I do have a little experience of them from some of the graphics courses I took. It would be nice to get comments from artistic types on what they think of this.

Hm... Other thoughts. For each doll, images will be organized in a 3-step hierarchy.

Categories are the outermost step in the heirarchy. They serve to group layers logically, into categories like Hair, Eyes, Mouth, Clothes, whatever... Just for the convenience of the user who wants to find such a thing. It may be a property of each category that determines if one or more than one layer will be on at a time.

Layers are what the user turns on and off. A layer may represent a particular hair or eye style. A layer consist of one or more images.

Images correspond to images that can be shown or turned off. Each image has a z-ordering. So it's possible to have one image in a layer in front of a character's face, and one behind. (Useful for hair.)

Hue manipulation occurs on defined subgroups of the images in a layer.

Going with the Kanon example above, Ayu's PJs would be in the category "Clothes". The PJs would be a layer. The PJs layer consists of three images... one of the PJs behind her neck, one of the PJs in front of her body, and one of the buttons. The former two would be in one hue group, the latter would be in a second hue group.

I'm going to suggest that we standardize on a set of licenses for dolls, perhaps on the Creative-Common licenses. The tool could track the licenses, and also who the credit belongs to, so that people can be credited properly.

Hm... Anyone want to suggest a name for this? (I was playing around with ABDC (AB's Doll Creator), but decided that unduly emphasises my efforts, which will hopefully be more than matched by artists.) I'd like to change the name of this thread to be more accurate, as the word warez really irks me.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

bookie
Veteran

#18 Post by bookie »

About that color:

If and when I do submit anything for this project, I'll be assuming that anyone can do anything they want to the art I contribute, granted it's used to create Renai. So ethically there's no problem with letting the program alter the color in art.

However, I don't know how effective it will be for more complex things, like multicolored clothes or hair. Since I'm assuming it just changes the balance, things could get messy if you're making one change along an entire peice of clothing. You could do what they have in guilty gear x and change each hue seperately, but that seems like a lot of work, and for some art that's not cell based it might not even be possible.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Perhaps it would be useful to enable or disable hue altering for each specific image. When artists submit, they can indicate whether or not hue altering will have positive affects on their images.
Personally, I don't really see a need for a feature like this. Why restrict someone's power? If hue altering looks bad, trust the artist to arrive at the same conclusion when they try it. I don't think we need to protect the end-user of the program from making bad art- at least not in this case. In short, if altering the Hue of something looks bad, trust the user to not alter the hue.

I'm curious as to whether the program will generate image files, or if it will use the same methods Ren'Py uses to display modified images at runtime. Actually creating the images would be better, IMO- but I don't know if that's in PyTom's capabilities. RenPy makes screen shots for the save files, so it seems possible, but I don't know...

I don't know if you should put a limit on size... because you can always scale down. If all submitted art is really large, it would allow the user to create close ups of the face as well as full body shots. And if the program outputs image files, you don't have to worry about a bloated game file size.
bookie wrote:1) Each individual artist creates his own set, independant of other artist's bases, positioning and the like. Things like body and image size might be standardized, but in terms of having all clothes fit all body types and etc... in general only one site will fit itself.

Pros: Artists can make a set without having to think about what other artists have done before. Also this allows for more styles. Artists who want to contribute but don't have the skill/time to conform to what's already been done can still help out.

Cons: It's probably much more difficult on the coding side. If a user wants to use a certain hair style with a certain eye style and they're from different sets, it might be impossible for them. This leads to a more limited number of combinations.

OR

2) All doll styles are standardized, so that all eyes are in a certain place, all bodies are a certain demension, etc... If you can get a few base bodies and provide them, then artists can do something simple like print them out, draw over them, and submit the result.

Pros: Everything is interchangable with everything else. Templates might make it easier for people to submit artwork.

Cons: Styles and positions are limited to what is put in initially.
I don't see why there has to be a distinction between the two. I think number 1 is the best idea, except don't require that each artist submit an entire set. Allow artists to submit body templates, or simply additional items for templates that have already been submitted. I think this is the best way to get more variety.

On a completely different note, I think that it would be best to separate the art files from the actual program. PyTom has probably already thought about this, but I thought I'd bring it up, cause no one else has mentioned it. Anyway, this would allow the user to download image packs, to increase their library of images, instead of having to wait for a new release of the program that would include the latest submitted art.

As for the name of the program... hmmm.... how about "BB Maker"(Short for Bishoujo to [or "and" if you like English] Bishounen)?

EDIT:

A few more questions...

Will this program support animation?
If it supports animation, will it output an avi file, or will it create a file only usable by Ren'Py?
I'm guessing that it will support animation, in that it will be able to automatically generate renpy code that does the animation.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#20 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: In short, if altering the Hue of something looks bad, trust the user to not alter the hue.
I like this philosophy. But, I'm willing to compromise with artists, like I did with archives in Ren'Py.

I'm curious as to whether the program will generate image files, or if it will use the same methods Ren'Py uses to display modified images at runtime. Actually creating the images would be better, IMO- but I don't know if that's in PyTom's capabilities. RenPy makes screen shots for the save files, so it seems possible, but I don't know...
Hm... Well, I doubt this program will share anything in common with Ren'Py, in terms of code. It will definitely output images. It may output the Ren'Py code to composite the images, but that's really an issue for a later date.
On a completely different note, I think that it would be best to separate the art files from the actual program. PyTom has probably already thought about this, but I thought I'd bring it up, cause no one else has mentioned it. Anyway, this would allow the user to download image packs, to increase their library of images, instead of having to wait for a new release of the program that would include the latest submitted art.
That's the plan, I think. In addition, there will probably be two versions: A full version that contails all the art packs we can distribute, and a minimal version that contains only a small standard art pack to get people going.

Art packs will probably be zip files, as I have easy-to-use libraries that can read them.

This might also work the other way... I may want to release an update without requiring the user to redownload all the art, which hopefully will be substantial after a while.
As for the name of the program... hmmm.... how about "BB Maker"(Short for Bishoujo to [or "and" if you like English] Bishounen)?
Hm... it doesn't really resonate with me.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#21 Post by rioka »

re hue>> I'm okay with the hue changing. I'll just have to make a disclaimer that I, as an artist, am not responsible for results other than the original design/coloring. ;)
PyTom wrote:...there will probably be two versions: A full version that contails all the art packs we can distribute, and a minimal version that contains only a small standard art pack to get people going.

Art packs will probably be zip files, as I have easy-to-use libraries that can read them.

This might also work the other way... I may want to release an update without requiring the user to redownload all the art, which hopefully will be substantial after a while.
Sooo... it'll be kind of like The Sims where the program loads the images (detects and adds new additions automatically) each time the program is run? Sounds kosher to me. (i.e. I approve)

As for names....
Ren'ai Doll Maker
Ren'ai Doll Creator
Ren'ai Character Creator
Ren'ai Character Maker
Ren'ai Chara-Creator (Chara = short for "Character")
hmmm... more ideas later.

bookie
Veteran

#22 Post by bookie »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: I don't see why there has to be a distinction between the two. I think number 1 is the best idea, except don't require that each artist submit an entire set. Allow artists to submit body templates, or simply additional items for templates that have already been submitted. I think this is the best way to get more variety.
Bookie wrote:Ideally you could work toward complete standardization but have stuff available for independent sets too.
I was just looking at opposite angles. The middle path is almost always the best.

I don't mind hue change being applicable to everything, but I just wanted to note that in more complicated areas it might not be beneficial. It should be up to the person using the program when that is though.

The way it seems the program is going to work, there will be a few similarities with Step Mania, where you get an initial program and have to obtain packets that the program can read and use.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#23 Post by mikey »

MaGiC - Manga Girl Creator

A.L.I.C.E. - Assembler of Loose Individual Character Elements

I kind of like the latter one, although there should then be some sub-titlish explanation, for instance ALICE - The blah blah character maker.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#24 Post by PyTom »

I like both of those, but especially like Alice, as the acronym kinda explains what the software does. So unless there's something that beats it in a few days, I'll go for it.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#25 Post by mikey »

I'd say ALICE is (even though it's a girl's name) in essence gender-neutral, as opposed to MaGiC, so you can then put bishounen in and there'd have to be no "MaGiC ~ For Boy" edition. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the name makes it! *hope, hope*)

bookie
Veteran

#26 Post by bookie »

mikey wrote:I'd say ALICE is (even though it's a girl's name) in essence gender-neutral, as opposed to MaGiC, so you can then put bishounen in and there'd have to be no "MaGiC ~ For Boy" edition. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the name makes it! *hope, hope*)
Wait.... ALICE is neutral and MAGIC is not? =\

Oh, duh, I understand now. I agree, Manga Girl Creator might not be the best if people (like me) are going to be using it to create guys. It might be a bit of a misnomer.

If it is named Magic though, I'm sure people will be creating guys with it anyway. XD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#27 Post by PyTom »

I am now strongly leaning towards ALICE. Although my weekend is scheduled to be fairly nerd-busy (with Serenity and We Love Katamari), so it's less of an issue for now.

If I can rustle up a laptop, I may try to do some of the coding on a cross-country plane trip I'll be taking on the 16th. So if people can give me some images (especially g-rated ones) by then, that would be shiny.

Now to go and brush up on my Chinese cursing.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#28 Post by rioka »

ALICE is a good one. Though I can't say if I'll remember what it stands for... ^^; :P
PyTom wrote:If I can rustle up a laptop, I may try to do some of the coding on a cross-country plane trip I'll be taking on the 16th. So if people can give me some images (especially g-rated ones) by then, that would be shiny.
Hint noticed. ;) I've made some preliminary sketches already.

A bit early but anyone have any specific clothes they're looking for aside from school uniforms? I've been considering starting off with fall and winter clothes since it's in season right now. :)

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#29 Post by Glasskitten »

*mumbles litany begging for forgiveness for not making any measurable contributions to the project or the topic*

Um...

If I had not already spent $106.16 on 3D items to accompany Aiko, I would most definitely be celebrating ALICE with confetti and New Year's noisemakers.

Um...in regards to clothing...what kind of cute everyday outfits do you think people would be most likely to use? What do you see when you walk down the street? *is clueless herself*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#30 Post by rioka »

No requests? Suggestions? :?

Anyways, I'm done with the basic body. Need to color, make clothes, and create some character features (hair, eyes, etc)...

I'll release the body template (full body) when it's CGed so others can start dressing her up. =)