Creator's Block

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Trinity Riot
Regular
Location: Somewhere between New York City... and New York City.

Creator's Block

#1 Post by Trinity Riot »

Ever wanted to do something very badly, but you just couldn't do it? I've bought books on learning PHP and C++, but they're just sitting in one of my bookshelves; I just can't apply myself to learn this stuff! I also can't seem to put down my thoughts for creating a game (which I'd like to do very much)...

Anyone ever have this problem? Ever solved it? How? :P

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I've been having a bit of creator's block myself lately. :? I think the key is to just settle down and DO something, but every time I settle down I fall asleep. :oops: Something that can help, though, is to remind yourself of your goal as you go along. Make little goals, too, that can be attained sooner. Then when you do something you'll be like, "Wow! I did this! Woo!" :D

It also helps if you're well-rested. -_-

Erik
Regular

#3 Post by Erik »

What has helped me in the past is to tell people about your ideas. They then start asking how you're coming along, which plays on your conscience. And my conscience is the only thing that gets me to work lately, so- :oops:
Last edited by Erik on Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Erik wrote:What has helped me in the past is to tell people about your ideas. They then start asking how you're coming along, which plays on your conscience.
- although that might backfire if you put too much pressure on yourself like that. and yes, I am saying "might". it seems to work for some people. Despite that, I still dislike telling people about my ideas. Most of them get the finished thing. It's like looking over a painter's shoulder. Some don't care, some can't work.

personally, I like to spellcheck or do some mechanical work when I'm not creative. Happens. I just relax, and sooner or later I end up writing till 6.a.m. :D

Wishful

We-ell..

#5 Post by Wishful »

You could always beat yourself on the head with the books. -nodnod-
Or, if you don't like that method, try telling yourself all the great things you could do once you learned the stuff. I know if I think I really should play a certain game or work on a certain fanfic or something, I can only get motivated by reminding myself of things like, "But remember <insert really great feature of a game here> and how much fun it was? And imagine if I unlock <insert special skill here>! That'd be so great!.." ..and then I start getting excited and talking to myself about the game until I get funny looks from people. ^_^;;
~This random senselessness brought to you by Wishful~

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#6 Post by Sai »

Hehe, that's good Wishful.
They're just looking because they're thinking "Wow that sounds like fun!" =D
You're right, that is one way... I don't think programming is fun or interesting. However what you can DO with programming, impresses me. It's fun to see something happen because you told the program to.... It's like "Wow, I did that?" and there's such alot you can do... So that is why I do it. Which seems to make people ask "Do you want to be a programmer" To which I answer "NOOO" (well something like that), I want to remain designy but I still can't deny how much programming can advance something you design ^^; I guess...

For learning programming, it's not an easy task (well, if you don't find it that fun, like me), so maybe a bit of restriction could be applied.... Like set yourself a day(s) in the week where you HAVE to sit down and learn, as if it's a college day or something (No I'm not gonna say school... yuck ). Do the little tasks in the book. But first of all... start! Once you start, then that's something.
C++ is hard for a first programming language, if it is your first. I mean I imagine it'd be REALLY hard... I think classes would be better.... Just so that when you have problems you have someone to speak to directly and so on. PHP however, I'm told, by a friend, is easy or easier to learn.
So to go with Lemma's Game Making points, don't start too big ^^

Writing, you just have to be in the right mood for... But just small notes can get you off on the right foot.... or the left one... just any foot. So long as you're starting off hehe.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

The mood - Yeah, I had something like a creative outbreak yesterday - I came home and I just knew I was going to write well, so I went out, bought a 2L Pepsi and worked from 6 to 3 a.m. I missed Scrubs, though :cry: But it's all in the name of creativity, right?

Another question: Do you guys often re-write your texts? When you're not satisfied with them or so. I often do that, even with things that I spent hours making and consider them finished and ready to send. Then, I look at them and start from scratch. :roll:

Grey
Veteran

#8 Post by Grey »

Hmm well, when I was writing Kasuka, I never scrapped a scene, once I'd taked all the effort to drag it up, but when going over things later, or noticing it when I was trying to fix a bug or something I'd sometimes go back and rewrite it a bit, or tweak the dialog slightly, or replace some text with some more in-character stuff.

I think that if you're not going back and doing stuff like that then you're doing something wrong. Not too sure about that starting from scratch once you're finished though. Leave it and look at it the next day or something before you cut all that work :rolleyes:

Wishful

#9 Post by Wishful »

Whoo! Someone agreed with me! ^_^
~This random senselessness brought to you by Wishful~

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#10 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

I've only refined parts of my novel, but never take an entire scene out...

And rarely do I have writers' block. It's just laziness that gets the bad things out of me...
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=