Help needed in running the games! (Microsoft Visual C++)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
xxxSakura
Regular

Help needed in running the games! (Microsoft Visual C++)

#1 Post by xxxSakura »

I apologise if this isn't relevant here. Okay, so I'm not sure where does this goes because I don't see any other suitable subforums to put this under. This isn't under developing ren'py games, but I figured that someone here might be able to help so I created an account to ask this.

Recently I've been downloading many games on this forums but I can't seem to run any of them. Whenever I try to, I'll get this popup "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" error. The general message goes:

Code: Select all

Runtime Error!

Programe: *insert location*

This application has requested the Runtime o terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's team for more information.
I've been downloading games from here since quite some ago on a regular basis, but I stopped for around a month before visiting this forum again recently. I haven't had any problem like this before and was able to run my previously downloaded games smoothly. So I was wondering if anyone here has encountered a problem like this before and knows how to solve it ;(

tpgames
Regular
Projects: Jade Universität

Re: Help needed in running the games! (Microsoft Visual C++)

#2 Post by tpgames »

Do you also have the recent version of Ren'Py on your computer? Some games might require the recent version.

If this doesn't solve the issue, then PyTom will most likely know whats up. Knowing the exact version of your OS, sometimes helps too, especially if its a bug that needs fixing.
Kyteroo jaunting off....(won't add website until I've finished 1 Ren'Py game)
WIP: Jade Universität - A RPG puzzle game.

xxxSakura
Regular

#3 Post by xxxSakura »

tpgames wrote:Do you also have the recent version of Ren'Py on your computer? Some games might require the recent version.

If this doesn't solve the issue, then PyTom will most likely know whats up. Knowing the exact version of your OS, sometimes helps too, especially if its a bug that needs fixing.
Forgive me for being such a noob, but I wasn't aware that I'd need to download ren'py in order to play the games D: That was something I've thought about, because I see a difference in the files I've recently downloaded and the old files. At first I thought it was due to the runtime library dll file, but then I realised the ren'py dll file was different too ><

Anywho, I've downloaded the latest ren'py version, but it still doesn't seem to work :/ But thanks for trying to help though!

clannadman

#4 Post by clannadman »

It sounds like a problem with your DirectX. You don't need renpy to run the games, just all the necessary codecs to run the software