Japanese words

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
south desert islander
Regular

Re: Japanese words

#31 Post by south desert islander »

J. Datie wrote:I don't think I've heard "Fraeulein" used before, but maybe it's more popular in America. I agree that English translations don't need Japanese suffixes, but things like "mademoiselle" strike me as being sorta the same thing as "senpai" and the like. I don't think I've ever heard it used other than to increase the Frenchness of a sentence. And, unlike tacos and tsunamis, it has an English equivalent. Of course, this is just me nitpicking, and it's true most people will understand it.
I had to actually look up Fraeulein because I only seen it used once before. I have never seen it used as often to mademoiselle. Though whenver I hear mademoiselle it's always to make it sound fancier and more refined, which is why it's rarely used.

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#32 Post by pondrthis »

In my defense I did add "if you want more flair" to "mademoiselle" (thank you south desert islander for spelling).

I actually did add "darling" on the list but then thought it was something only I say, so I nixed it. Can't believe I forgot "Your Highness" and "Your Grace" though! I'll add "Your Holiness" (Pope) and "Your Eminence" in case we want to keep growing this list.

EDIT: And the more casual "gorgeous", "beautiful", "handsome", and "sexy".

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#33 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

J. Datie wrote:I don't think I've heard "Fraeulein" used before, but maybe it's more popular in America. I agree that English translations don't need Japanese suffixes, but things like "mademoiselle" strike me as being sorta the same thing as "senpai" and the like. I don't think I've ever heard it used other than to increase the Frenchness of a sentence. And, unlike tacos and tsunamis, it has an English equivalent. Of course, this is just me nitpicking, and it's true most people will understand it.
Mademoiselle has been used for centuries in America, and may be more prevalent in the South due to the proximity of New Orleans and Canjun influences. It is often used in American English to mock a girl who is acting "high and mighty" and "self-important". You are seemingly paying her an honor with such a title, but it so over-blown it becomes mocking. In New Orleans or among Canjuns, it often retains its original meaning and purpose though.

"Fraeulein" is often used to be menacing towards a girl, but mostly in a joking way. German immigrants introduced the word, but it only rose to prominence with Nazi movies, where a Nazi is threatening a girl in German, hissing out "Fraeulein" as he approaches the scared girl. Hence, the American tendency to use it as mock-threat to a girl, usually in a playful way.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#34 Post by Snowflower »

more casual ones that can easily be used by some of the male cast members:

to their ladies--
love
babe
baby
honey
sweetie
buttercup
angel

to anyone else—
dude
mate
brah
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Riviera »

Honestly, this has become a bit of a sore topic for me because no one really cares if you throw in a smattering of spanish or french or what-have-you, but throw in some japanese words and not only are you considered a moronic weeaboo, but they say it ruined your entire story/poem/post.

I get that this is backlash against people tossing around random words they heard in anime #13045, but people take this way too far and too seriously. If I'm making a game and two friends in it like to call each other nicknames, among them some japanese titles, I really don't care if someone else doesn't like that.

I've been learning japanese, and I keep being told that using the words you learn as often as you can is the best way to learn it, but if you don't know enough to form tons of complete sentences, then what other option do you have? Granted, when I do type them up I actually use hiragana/katakana, and tend to keep it short, but give us noobs a break.

Present culture has become so harsh on everything lately, it's kind of depressing, really.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#36 Post by pondrthis »

@Riviera:

No one cares if there's a reason someone uses Japanese BESIDES "the character/author/person is an otaku."

I don't go around making fun of Japanese people for speaking Japanese at home, or for that matter for mixing Japanese and English when trying to speak English. But I will make fun of a random high schooler who chose Japanese because they're part of an anime fanclub, even if they're just using the words to help them in class. The difference isn't because of what they say or even how/why they say it, but because there's a difference in how the two groups present themselves. Awkwardness and social ineptitude invite criticism.

And good for you for using the kana. Use kanji instead though, the faster you start to learn them the faster you really get into the juicy part of the language.

To remind you of the topic, though, I was explicitly referring to the case of translations from Japanese.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#37 Post by Greeny »

Riviera wrote:I've been learning japanese, and I keep being told that using the words you learn as often as you can is the best way to learn it, but if you don't know enough to form tons of complete sentences, then what other option do you have?
Well I don't know exactly what Japanese you're using, but the things that are used most, and irritate people most, the unneccessary suffixes, "ne"'s and whatnot, won't give you magic Japanese powers no matter how much you use them. If you're using real Japanese, good for you and all, but not if it's out of place in the story.

Secondly, if you can't form complete sentences, maybe you should study more. I'll help you with your Japanese if you want, but you're still learning; so what you haven't realized is that you're turning your artwork into a scrapbook. What you think if you had an artist working on your project, and they drew a giraffe somewhere randomly in the background because they so happen to be practicing with drawing exotic animals?
If I'm making a game and two friends in it like to call each other nicknames, among them some japanese titles, I really don't care if someone else doesn't like that.
Here's two questions for you: Why do they call each other Japanese nicknames? Have they been established as Japanese language fanatics? If yes, it makes sense. If no, then refer to question #1.

You say you don't care, but art is meaningless without its audience. There's a fundamental way in which the traditional art form of painting and things as movies and visual novels differ. Someone can see a painting and immediately decide whether or not they like it. A movie or VN, however, while you can generally outline the theme, asks the viewer to put a chunk of their time aside to evaluate it. Don't take that for granted.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#38 Post by Chrizine »

"Fraeulein" is often used to be menacing towards a girl, but mostly in a joking way. German immigrants introduced the word, but it only rose to prominence with Nazi movies, where a Nazi is threatening a girl in German, hissing out "Fraeulein" as he approaches the scared girl. Hence, the American tendency to use it as mock-threat to a girl, usually in a playful way.
In Germany, I think it's used just the same way by now, at least my father used to do so when I was a little younger ;-)
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique