Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

#31 Post by cosmo »

Hi, D'd'D, hi azureXtwilight!

I feel honored – and I am happy about it! :)
D'd'D wrote:Whoa, I never thought that someone would make a VN out of Wayang Kulit..
I've played the demo and I'm very excited to see the continuation of the story. Good Luck making it!
I'm sorry I can't give you any useful feedback, but at least let me cheer for you!
That's really nice of you! Thank you! :)
D'd'D wrote:
It looks like you know more about Wayang compared to me.. I can't even remember the names anymore (except for Petruk and Semar), though I studied about it at elementary school.. I'm ashamed! :oops:
Honestly, I don't think that I know a lot… but I am working on it for this project! I am still asking others and now I recently discovered even better background informations which might become helpful in the future…
My basic interest was (and is) to learn 2D Ren'Py – and I thought that 2D Wayang Kulit might fit… and: it also fascinates me a lot! – Seeing all your wonderful tradition with flat puppets that often have a special and great personality(!) I see my minor skills and possibilities…

Well, because of this it is an easy decision to make my own story with own heroes and a story that might pick up some elements of the original settings, but will be on its own. Same with the art and the way the play is done. What I picked up for example is that there are several performances beginning in a hermitage. That is the reason why I start with the holy man during the introduction of the valley and even before presenting the "hero to be", Budianto.

Writing is not done yet. It will go hand in hand with the graphics.
Just now I am overworking the already existing scene with the prey. And maybe I will fetch some background stuff from books and other sources today. If not – during the next week :)
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

sayaka-chan95
Regular
Projects: Alice Hunt

#32 Post by sayaka-chan95 »

OMG, you got another stalker here, I'm Indonesian and I'm so interested with this project. I'll play it after I got home :D

cosmo
Regular

#33 Post by cosmo »

sayaka-chan95, you are welcome!

It's nice of you that you post here "for stalking reasons" ;)

However, please keep the early state of the story in mind… and I hope very much that I soon can work more on this project again.
Actually I got stuck at a point in the last week and did not have enough time to solve my problem. I hope I can do better during the next 10 days. That's the current development status. I will post a new message if I get some important stuff done.

I hope you like it at least a bit? I'm actually a bit curious! :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by DaFool »

It's a bit ironic since I come from South East Asia (Not Indonesian though, Philippines) and am about to work on something similar as the artist/programmer, this time with european medieval art. Funny how it's the other -- not your own -- cultural elements that you find interesting!

Right now it seems straightforward with ATL. I plan to even go one step further and break up the joints and animate them separately. Drop me a line if you want to (as they say in the game Catherine) "exchange techniques".

cosmo
Regular

#35 Post by cosmo »

Hi DaFool!

I am happy about your interest! That's very nice!
DaFool wrote:It's a bit ironic since I come from South East Asia (Not Indonesian though, Philippines) and am about to work on something similar as the artist/programmer, this time with european medieval art. Funny how it's the other -- not your own -- cultural elements that you find interesting!
I am interested in stories as in ancient stories in general – and also in different cultures of course :) Working on this story is also an excuse to dig deeper into something that I only barely knew before… That's great of course. But the main reason of my interest was the style. I think that the black silhouettes have at least the chance to leave something to your imagination because there is so much that you can't see!. – If that happens a story gets deeper as the mind is already working … It it works different than it would with a clear and simple style.
Right now it seems straightforward with ATL. I plan to even go one step further and break up the joints and animate them separately. Drop me a line if you want to (as they say in the game Catherine) "exchange techniques".
Wonderful! – I will write you a PM. We could at least try! :) Thanks!
As I said above – I am currently struggling with the techniques. And it's indeed an ATL problem in the moment. I am trying to use blur. Blur may be important for the following scenes, but currently I am working on that hunting part again that is already in the current demo. I am trying to make it more interesting.

For the following scenes I have something in mind that I did not see before in the VNs that I played before. It may be that it simply won't work – and that I have to think of something more simple … But first I would like to try… And it's a high aim as I am only a beginner!

I do indeed plan to make more with ATL. I hope I will make better progress with it :)
… will drop you a PM now: Thanks again! :)

D'd'D
Regular
Completed: Memories
Projects: WoUC, Itsuki

Bump

#36 Post by D'd'D »

Yesterday at church, one of the teacher for the sunday-school (I don't know what it's called in english lol) used Wayang to perform, and then I remembered this thread.
So.. How's the progress? :D
Sorry bad English.. u.u
My world lies inside of me.
There's a world inside of you, too.

cosmo
Regular

Re: Bump

#37 Post by cosmo »

D'd'D wrote:
Yesterday at church, one of the teacher for the sunday-school (I don't know what it's called in english lol) used Wayang to perform, and then I remembered this thread.
Hi!
Nice to hear from you!!
Very nice! :)

Interesting! I am still gathering infos all around Wayang – and Wayang Kulit of course… so it's a christian church?
D'd'D wrote: So.. How's the progress? :D
OK. I do have some problems currently (well … "currently") with programming and technical issues. I hope that I can master some of them. Otherwise I have to make alternative decisions how to go on. I guess I will need this forum to come over them.

Beside this slow progress with the story there are several things growing around. I just showed the demo to musicians and hope to get some input from them for it. Maybe I will even come to Indonesia by myself to talk to some puppeteers… But thats another story ;) (and sadly I currently miss some money to make it real).

I think I will have only a low chance to make progress during the coming ten days… but hopefully after that I can spend more time on it :)

I hope you will be able to enjoy it soon! :)

Have fun!

D'd'D
Regular
Completed: Memories
Projects: WoUC, Itsuki

Re: Bump

#38 Post by D'd'D »

cosmo wrote:Interesting! I am still gathering infos all around Wayang – and Wayang Kulit of course… so it's a christian church?
Yup. And I think the teacher succeeded in attracting the students' attention.. which means, in Indonesia, Wayang hasn't died, lol.

Good luck! Unfortunately I can't help very much, but maybe I can help you translating from Indonesia to English? (in case the puppeteer doesn't know English)
cosmo wrote:I hope you will be able to enjoy it soon! :)

Have fun!
I'll be waiting :D
My world lies inside of me.
There's a world inside of you, too.

Shigeru-chan

#39 Post by Shigeru-chan »

the title enough makes me interested to look at this page.
A German is working at wayang game. it's so awesome!! >_<

I used to learn things about wayang when I was at elementary school long time ago since it was compulsory education (only on text book though) but it was so hard. So not really remember now. @_@

are you using Punakawan (Semar, Petruk, etc), Pandawa (Arjuna, Sadewa, Nakula, etc), Kurawa as the characters?

I will stalk this page. will looking forward to your game >w<
good luck to finish it!