French Tutoring Game for Middle/High Schoolers (Need input)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

French Tutoring Game for Middle/High Schoolers (Need input)

#1 Post by broken_angel »

As part of a scholarship for foreign language study abroad in France, I stupidly volunteered to design a game to help tutor U.S. middle school or high school students in French.

I don't remember high school very well (nor was I a typical high schooler to begin with), so I would like some input from real middle or high schoolers.
If you were studying a foreign language, what kind of game would be most interesting/fun and helpful to you to help learn and practice the language?

Me being the crazy visionary I am, I wanted to create a story mode that loosely follows the events of the French Revolution, but incorporates lots of mini-games such as word games to decode messages or solve puzzles. The story would have to be pretty short and sweet considering how slow I am at writing (har har), and because I'd have to finish within a deadline. If possible, it would be awesome to have full voice acting in French so players can get a feel for the French pronunciation (I've learned most of the Japanese I know from watching anime in Japanese with English subtitles, so...)

There would, of course, also be a mini-game/practice mode where you could just focus on practicing vocabulary and grammar without messing with all the story stuff.

While I would enjoy something like that, I'm not sure my students would...hence why I need some advice. Any suggestions? C:

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: French Tutoring Game for Middle/High Schoolers (Need inp

#2 Post by kaleidofish »

I'm not in highschool anymore, but I'm a freshman in college who did study French in middle & parts of highschool (sadly, I'm rusty now). Hopefully, I can answer your question anyway, haha. Are you trying to ask what would be the most fun, or be the most conducive to learning?

I don't know how fun it would be, but I strongly suggest including some fill in the blank or matching games. For example, you have a visual on screen of someone doing some verb, and players have to choose the right verb from a list. And, if they pick the right verb, you should have a voice say it (or record yourself saying it since it's your game XD), like "manger - to eat - yum!" It's easier for people to remember things if they have something to link it to, like sounds or images. It might be more simple to design something like that than an entire puzzle, given your deadline.

Is this a game aimed at beginner French students? If so, keep the story as simple as possible so that they don't get frustrated. If you can tie the scene in with a vocab or grammar lesson right before it, even better.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#3 Post by Chushiki Maho »

I'm in a french-english middle school. I think what you have is already interesting, I wouldn't mind playing it. If I get a good mic soon, I could help with french pronunciation. But I do have to ask the same question as kaleidofish, is this game aimed at beginners? Or fairly experienced people?
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Not a middle/high schooler - but total immersion, sort of.

Have a game where the main character is tossed back into revolutionary France, or some other interesting time in history. The POV character thinks in English, but everyone around them speaks in French - and what they say is important to the game. Set it up so that if the player can puzzle out what they're saying, he wins - and if not, that's what the Guillotine is for. (Better, raise the stakes by having a character that the player has to save, by reasoning with the - ... - whoevers.)

Maybe have a button that the player can click - a limited number of times - for a free translation.

The real key here would be to research the words that an age-appropriate student would know, and then limit yourself to those words and concepts. If you do it right, the student should feel like he knows a lot - even though he only knows what he's supposed to.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

broken_angel
Veteran

#5 Post by broken_angel »

Kaleidofish - I want something that is both fun and conductive to learning. xP

I was definitely planning on implementing lots of fill-in-the-blank and matching games, though. Specifically, I was thinking of having the main character play an apprentice at a printing company (or whatever you call places that make/print newspapers...), which sets the backdrop of all sorts of games like organizing sentence fragments so they make sense, matching the correct headline to the story, choosing the correct word to fill in the blank, matching the correct word/caption to the picture, etc.

Kaleido and Chushiki - Unfortunately, I honestly don't know what kinds of students I'll be working with and whether they'll be beginner or advanced. Therefore, I was going to have an option to have either English or French text for the story and different levels for the mini-games.

However, I'm going to be a beginner myself (I'll be learning the language from scratch at the same time I'm working on this), so that's the frame of reference I'll be working from.

PyTom - That's actually a really interesting idea, if a little tough, haha. Something like that would probably be better than simply having an option to change the text language, since I can't imagine any native English-speaker willingly playing a game in French. xP So I'll definitely consider something like that as a possibility.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#6 Post by Tetiel »

So I haven't been a high school student in.. almost 6 years (yikes), but I hope I can help. One thing you can do is have certain object vocabulary words that players can attempt to find in an "ISpy" type background. I was also thinking of gameplay where you find a written sentence, but it's all jumbled up so you need to rearrange it so that the word order makes sense. Maybe this can be some sort of detective game! Oh, and maybe clues in a wordsearch, too!

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#7 Post by silenteve »

Well, I'm taking French currently in High School and I'm pretty good with pronunciation and writing, but my comprehension when speaking to another person is horrible. So if this game is ever released, I may try it.

I think that it would be kinda cool if you made this sort of French RPG where you fight monsters (maybe evil political figures or french horror monsters and whatnot) and the only way to do damage was to translate certain words or phrases, like incantations or spells. If you get it right, you do full damage. A few letters wrong, less damage. And if you get the whole thing wrong, the "spell" rebounds on you and you lose life. To defend yourself, the same concept would apply.
I don't know, it may be kind of cool.

Bonne chance!
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

broken_angel
Veteran

#8 Post by broken_angel »

Tetiel - There will definitely be some arrange-the-sentence-in-the-right-order games. I'm not sure whether I'll go for a mystery/detective type of game, though... I've never been good at those types of stories. xD;

silenteve - I'm not sure how well this game will help with oral comprehension. I guess, if it's voiced, then you can listen and follow along that way, which may help if you do it enough and get the hang of connecting the text and corresponding speech. But that probably won't be the focus, since I don't think that's the focus of the school's curriculum (at least, it wasn't when I took Spanish in high school).

And an RPG-type thing like that would be awesome, but I'm afraid it's a bit beyond what I can do for this particular project due to time and resource constraints. xP If what I come up with turns out to be pretty good, though, I may add something like that in later, when it doesn't matter how long it takes to finish.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

PyTom wrote:Not a middle/high schooler - but total immersion, sort of.

Have a game where the main character is tossed back into revolutionary France, or some other interesting time in history. The POV character thinks in English, but everyone around them speaks in French - and what they say is important to the game. Set it up so that if the player can puzzle out what they're saying, he wins - and if not, that's what the Guillotine is for. (Better, raise the stakes by having a character that the player has to save, by reasoning with the - ... - whoevers.)

Maybe have a button that the player can click - a limited number of times - for a free translation.

The real key here would be to research the words that an age-appropriate student would know, and then limit yourself to those words and concepts. If you do it right, the student should feel like he knows a lot - even though he only knows what he's supposed to.
I'm with PyTom. Total immersion is the most proven method of learning a language, and the most effective. It is what they use in the military and government to teach language - word lists and memorization is, frankly, not incredibly effective, and rather slow. Plus it tends to leave the learner lost without falling back on stock phrases and words, where as with total immersion the learner develops the ability to THINK in the language and form sentences intuitively, instead of running everything through a translation filter in their head.

I learned a lot of Japanese by watching live action Japanese movies without subtitles. And a few weeks of Rosetta Stone (which uses total immersion) taught me more than months and months of classes where I was memorizing and practicing vocabulary lists. As the commercial for Rosetta Stone points out, we all learned our first language by being surrounded by it and struggling to understand what everyone was trying to communicate to us. The human brain is incredible at putting all the pieces together when forced to by necessity.

I like PyTom's idea of forcing the player to figure out French to survive. You would have to be good at providing context to the player. Maybe the player is an English spy sent by the British Monarchy, concerned about the French Monarchy being overthrown, and the player's only hope of survival is to blend in with the French rebels without letting on he or she isn't French. Though anyone of education or noble birth at the time of the French Revolution was expected to know French, as it was the language of trade and diplomacy, and all gentlemen of every nationality were expected to know it.

You might timeshift the game to WW2, and make the player an American or English soldier trapped in a France controlled by the Vichy Regime. To work with the French underground or avoid detection by Vichy French collaborating with the Nazis the player will have to understand French. Maybe the French underground tells the player to grab objects from Nazi offices, and the player will have to puzzle out the French to know the correct object or documents to take, etc. And to paraphrase Pytom, if the player can't figure it out - well, that's what the firing squad is for.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by SusanTheCat »

I'm with the total immersion people.

My son and his friend who are high school students think a story would be better then mini-games. They equate mini-games with the boring worksheets they had to work on.

I like having characters ask you questions in French and you provide answers like PyTom said would be fun.

An image I have is the player over hearing a short conversation about an attack. Later the rebels ask him details:
"Are they attacking in the morning or the evening?" "Are they coming by land or by sea?"

It would be great if you got a sample vocabulary list from a high school teacher.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

broken_angel
Veteran

#11 Post by broken_angel »

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions, everyone~

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now. The immersion idea is great, but I'll have to be sure to get some vocab lists from the teacher, as Susan said, and structure it to focus on words that they know or are learning. I would also include lots of visual cues, too, like little cartoons or pictures of what they're talking about. Overall, foreign language classes (in my experience) often work in "units" of related words and concepts, so it'd be cool to make each chapter focus on a different unit.

If I do that, I think it will become a great learning tool for the kids, as well as a fun reward for working hard on their studies...I hope. C:

Wee
Regular
Projects: Spacefur: Runaways
Organization: Studio Meh

#12 Post by Wee »

I'm French and I find your initiative interesting and fun.

However, why is it always Revolutionary France ? There are so many tasteful periods, for example the beginning of the XXth Century, or swashbuckling France, with Richelieu and the Musketeers ! Seriously :)

It's much more interesting as fictionized time periods, and maybe it would give the students another view of France's historical past than the done-to-death Revolution, which was a really depressing time, and laden with injustice, tragedy and mass-murder (I'm not even making this up). We lost a lot of good people back then (check out Lavoisier). It's really nothing to be proud of.

The only game I can imagine set during the Revolution would be one of paranoia, summary executions and emprisonments... Not really fit for a classroom :lol:

broken_angel
Veteran

#13 Post by broken_angel »

The reason I thought of the French Revolution is precisely because it has been done to death, so there would be a lot of sources of inspiration available to draw on (and also I just really love the clothes). In addition, I've done a lot of research on it and Robespierre already (and yes, I'm well aware that revolutionary France was not a fun place to be; as PyTom suggested, the paranoia of that time could actually work in my favor for making a more exciting game), which would give me a head start if I decided to go in that direction.

Nothing is set in stone yet, though. C: If I can find some inspiration from some other interesting time period in France instead, then I'd be glad to do something else. We'll just have to see.