Your Writing Stats

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: Your Writing Stats

#16 Post by kaleidofish »

Amazing advice, LateWhiteRabbit. I always outline before I write, but your suggestions will definitely help me refine my outlines. My outlining style seems so rough in comparison. :)

I'm not sure what my typical word output is. I know that it'd take me a day to reach 1000 to 2000 words, though, due to school & such. I don't have enough hours in the day. I was faster when I was younger. Back then, I roleplayed on message boards a lot so I posted 500 words every hour or so. :?

I also play music when I write. I use the sound to block out any distractions around me - music keeps me focused. It helps when my music matches the mood that I'm going for in my story. I have a nice collection of instrumentals for "writing music," even though vocals don't really bother me too much when I write. I've listened to the same song all day just because it gave off the perfect mood for a scene in my story.

edit - weird grammar...
Last edited by kaleidofish on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#17 Post by Camille »

+1 to everything LWR said. If I sit down and focus, I can write as much as 4,000-5,000 words in an hour, but my usual output when I'm not as focused/motivated is around 1,000-2,000.

Ruuube

#18 Post by Ruuube »

Around a thousand per hour. Sometimes I have these bursts of energy and go 2000+, and if I plan it out before hand, I can break 3-4k. I recall an evening where I wrote 17000 words, I started at sunset and finished around sunrise, good times.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#19 Post by Michiyo6918 »

It's really depend. The best I can do when I'm motivated is around 6,000 words in an hour (I can take a whole word page just to describe the appearance of someone...) But of course, sometime it takes me several hours just to write down 100 words.

It's maybe because I use fluently my language and I used to write a lot of essay. (My longest novel would be the one which has almost 1,000,000 words, 3 volumes and it took me almost a year to properly finish it.)
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#20 Post by Egressus »

Non VN writing?

I usually get 500 words per 15 minutes when motivated, but most of the time it ranges from 1,000-2,000. I'm not a very descriptive person so the details are rather sparse. The story usually is filled with monologues and dialogue. When I add description it contributes little to the word count, and usually added just to note what the characters are doing.
It's easier for me to write when I know how to write. I'm more of a plotter-- as long as I have an idea of how things will go, I'm fast.
Hiatus of hiatuses

Yami_Megami
Projects: My secret friend
Organization: Umbrella Corp 8D

#21 Post by Yami_Megami »

Since I'm used to roleplay I can write like about 14-20 paragraphs in one hour if I'm VERY inspired. If not 7-8 and and be grateful in 30 minutes or so. LOL

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#22 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... it seems that I've only got enough endurance to write about 2k before I have to take a break from exhaustion... Hopefully I can build that up over time. :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Old Hero
Regular
Completed: Soon, my friend. Soon.
Projects: Untitled, right now

#23 Post by Old Hero »

If I'm writing as I go, with no particular plot in mind, it takes me longer.

If I have a plot set in stone, much shorter.

I don't know 'per hour', but I've written up to 10-15,000 in a day. That's not really that much considering it's break, and I've ignored my friends for the past three days just to write. I mean, my brother has written up to 30,000 words in a day.

mapletaffy
Regular

#24 Post by mapletaffy »

If I already know the flow of the scene that I am writing, it will take me around 800 words an hour. . but I usually stop every now and then to think what to write next because I'm not really into English writing.~ and I'm usually get destructed by playing computer games and such. >.<

Old Hero
Regular

#25 Post by Old Hero »

It also matters to me where I'm writing. I write a helluva lot slower when using SciTe or J-Edit or what-have-you, but a lot quicker when using Microsoft Word or Google Docs.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I write in J-Edit. When I write in Word... it lags... (And it's easier for me to do it that way, although I have to check spelling by exporting it to Word).
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Old Hero
Regular

#27 Post by Old Hero »

Yeah, it's also annoying when you use word, and then copy it back into your editor. You have to realign the text and everything. Such a hassle.
)=

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Ah, what I do is I use the search function in j-edit, and replace the typos manually (because I'm stupid *shot*). If you copypaste from j-edit to word, then run a spellcheck, I believe it still keeps spacing though. I've done it a couple times for short KNs.
Tsundere VN

Old Hero
Regular

#29 Post by Old Hero »

Oh! That's a cheap, but effective idea.

+1 gratitude points

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#30 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

To my understanding, there are also editing programs that have their own spellcheck, but I guess I'm a bit lazy (actually, the last time I tried to mess with something like that, my computer went psycho on me)
Tsundere VN