Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#3646 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Thank you :) He is going to be a side sprite, so I've cut off his shoulders to get his torso to form a triangle.

I don't think this is a viable sprite style :/ For me anyway. I don't think I could take doing all the emotions/poses/other changes without killing something. One off paintings is one thing, sprites are another. Though it was fun to do something like this again after so long. I might try another style now, maybe american comic or something sketchy like Hotel Dusk.

wulfae
Regular

#3647 Post by wulfae »

tuna_sushi wrote:Gosh, I hope I improved :o
Tuna Sushi, you might want to try drawing things from life. All the best anime artist can draw less stylised characters as well, since they have to know the rules (how a human body moves, how it really looks) before they can break them, by applying a style to it.

I wouldn't worry so much about colouring, and just practise drawing people.

Keep at it! I love drawing, it's really fun!

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#3648 Post by clua »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Thank you :) He is going to be a side sprite, so I've cut off his shoulders to get his torso to form a triangle.

I don't think this is a viable sprite style :/ For me anyway. I don't think I could take doing all the emotions/poses/other changes without killing something. One off paintings is one thing, sprites are another. Though it was fun to do something like this again after so long. I might try another style now, maybe american comic or something sketchy like Hotel Dusk.
wooow he looks so awesome! detective??? ºqº I cant wait to see what you guys are doing
Btw Auro I dont know much about face structure(But I just google it just in case, not to say something off)
I think his left eye is small in comparison of the right one..maybe because Im taking as reference the right eye and its lenght in comparison of the eyebrow, and the left eye seems to end before(...I hope Im understandable!)
I drool on your coloring XD! Its really nice

Mink wrote:@Clua: 8D! This was my reaction to seeing that:
ahaha Im glad! He deserves fanart! And mongoose Susan orz!
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#3649 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

clua wrote: wooow he looks so awesome! detective??? ºqº I cant wait to see what you guys are doing
Btw Auro I dont know much about face structure(But I just google it just in case, not to say something off)
I think his left eye is small in comparison of the right one..maybe because Im taking as reference the right eye and its lenght in comparison of the eyebrow, and the left eye seems to end before(...I hope Im understandable!)
I drool on your coloring XD! Its really nice!
It is :/ It isn't in the sketch so I'm not sure what the hell I was doing. We have decided to try and swing this style, maybe with some adjustments, a bit of extra edging. It took me a while to do, but I AM severely out of practice with this style so it might just be a matter of practice. I'm still a little concerned about consistency and shadows, but I'll see how it goes. It's only a very little project so if I was ever going to try out painterly sprites, this would be it.

PockieHoshi
Regular

#3650 Post by PockieHoshi »

Uh,yeah,First time posting in this section >///<.
Did this quite a while ago practising a more painterly style,Pretty sure I failed but I have only tried this out a few times >w>.
New Canvas3.png

Carassaurat
Veteran

#3651 Post by Carassaurat »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Concept for the main character of a mini VN we're doing. Swinging more towards realism this time. [...] Opinions?http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... ective.jpg
You'll have to forgive me for it, but I'm a little amused that your background in other styles is showing through; mainly, the parts that you usually stylise, the nose and the eyes, betray a lack of experience. I think it would be quite interesting to see you work out a full VN in a style such as this, but I'd wholeheartedly recommend that you do a couple of referenced drawing studies first. This guy has no eye sockets, for example...

As an aside, if you're going with detectives of yore, you could do eveything in black and white and save yourself a little time on the colouring.

//

Anyway, here's a proof-of-concept of mine, to see if I can find a style that'll render 3D models well enough to be used in a stylised VN:

Here's a comparison of the model with a regular shader and the duotone one, if anyone's interested.

The benefits would be that I could render from any angle or lighting situation in a matter of seconds, so that the whole visual novel could look like a (albeit simple) comic book. The downside is that it'll never look as flashy as real hand drawn strokes, and that I'm still not learning to draw properly.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#3652 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Carassaurat wrote:You'll have to forgive me for it, but I'm a little amused that your background in other styles is showing through; mainly, the parts that you usually stylise, the nose and the eyes, betray a lack of experience. I think it would be quite interesting to see you work out a full VN in a style such as this, but I'd wholeheartedly recommend that you do a couple of referenced drawing studies first. This guy has no eye sockets, for example...

As an aside, if you're going with detectives of yore, you could do eveything in black and white and save yourself a little time on the colouring.
Actually, it's the nature of the sprite that has caused this. I am capable of creating something very close to realism, pores and all, but replicating those details with consistency for the emotional changes would make my life very difficult, not to mention the time it would take to do it. The hair was originally much more realistic, but I had to pull everything back into a more stylised form. The lack of shading around the eyes, eyebrows and mouth is because those features are all going to have to be repainted every time I change the emotions. Plus, there is another full bodied sprite that I am also going to have to do in the style I finalise and this will effect what I can and can not achieve in a short amount of time. Generally I am still trying to work out what would be the best way to shade for this style in the areas that change.

I think the story is futuristic as opposed to Noir, but I am going to try something in Black and White in the future.

alexwhite
Regular
Tumblr: blinkingkills

#3653 Post by alexwhite »

hello auro, I think your largest problem in this style is lack of contrast .
Because i've drawn in a paintish style for a long time, drawing different expressions on these characters doesn't take more than 10 minutes each.
With practice you get better.
Your natural style is very clean, and when drawing a more realistic style, clean doesn't always work unless you spend a long time rendering, which for VN doesn't seem viable]

justblue
Regular
Projects: The Mask of Joy

#3654 Post by justblue »

my first disgaea fan art I did for someone in DA :oops:
currently working for this project:
Head Space - The Mask of Joy

open commission
Character artist & flash programmer at your service. kid-blue.deviantart.com

Ruril
Regular
Projects: My name is -----, Love Potion, Animal Myths

#3655 Post by Ruril »

Pokemon BW2 girl trainer sketch and new sprite :D
Image Image

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#3656 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Ruril, Aww, they look super cute.

Fanart~ I don't get to do these as much as I would like to. I really should do a 'share the love' thing again.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... /KOTT2.gif
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#3657 Post by Coren »

Trying a slightly different style of colouring:

Gambit74
Regular

#3658 Post by Gambit74 »

I finally have some art that I can share :D . These were all done on my 3DS thanks to the Colors! 3D app, so drawing these were kind of difficult for me (Not to mention I had zero experience with digital art aside from image manipulation in Photoshop).

I would post the images here, but I feel that it would be better to post a link to my gallery, especially since the site features a playback of sorts to show how the drawing/painting was made:
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=32759
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

Carassaurat
Veteran

#3659 Post by Carassaurat »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Actually, it's the nature of the sprite that has caused this. I am capable of creating something very close to realism, pores and all, but replicating those details with consistency for the emotional changes would make my life very difficult, not to mention the time it would take to do it. The hair was originally much more realistic, but I had to pull everything back into a more stylised form. The lack of shading around the eyes, eyebrows and mouth is because those features are all going to have to be repainted every time I change the emotions. Plus, there is another full bodied sprite that I am also going to have to do in the style I finalise and this will effect what I can and can not achieve in a short amount of time. Generally I am still trying to work out what would be the best way to shade for this style in the areas that change.
Far be it from me to tell you how or how not to draw, but I'll just elaborate a little bit in case there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about detail, pores or hairs - that's all useless, those don't convey emotion or character. In fact, I'd draw the hair with rather less detail than you're doing now, if I were you. But you're missing some essential building blocks of a human face. Its silhouette on the right of the picture is just one long curve; does he not have cheek bones or a brow? Why doesn't he have eye lids? These are some quite important features of a face. Way more important than the detail you put in the hair or ear or background. You may have stepped up your rendering from the traditional anime style, but you're still drawing in icons and not in anatomy. And it's not just about the amount of features, but also their shape.

Again, if you're happy with this, continue as you were, but I think you'd draw much better if you take the time to do some studies.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#3660 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Carassaurat wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Actually, it's the nature of the sprite that has caused this. I am capable of creating something very close to realism, pores and all, but replicating those details with consistency for the emotional changes would make my life very difficult, not to mention the time it would take to do it. The hair was originally much more realistic, but I had to pull everything back into a more stylised form. The lack of shading around the eyes, eyebrows and mouth is because those features are all going to have to be repainted every time I change the emotions. Plus, there is another full bodied sprite that I am also going to have to do in the style I finalise and this will effect what I can and can not achieve in a short amount of time. Generally I am still trying to work out what would be the best way to shade for this style in the areas that change.
Far be it from me to tell you how or how not to draw, but I'll just elaborate a little bit in case there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about detail, pores or hairs - that's all useless, those don't convey emotion or character. In fact, I'd draw the hair with rather less detail than you're doing now, if I were you. But you're missing some essential building blocks of a human face. Its silhouette on the right of the picture is just one long curve; does he not have cheek bones or a brow? Why doesn't he have eye lids? These are some quite important features of a face. Way more important than the detail you put in the hair or ear or background. You may have stepped up your rendering from the traditional anime style, but you're still drawing in icons and not in anatomy. And it's not just about the amount of features, but also their shape.

Again, if you're happy with this, continue as you were, but I think you'd draw much better if you take the time to do some studies.
So basically you think I need to have more definition of the right side of his face? I have found generally curve is minimal at that angle, from the studies I did do http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays ... ney_01.jpg but I could probably work a bit on the temple and chin areas. The eyelid thing appears to be an older male thing, their eyes tend to be hooded and the eyelid is generally most visibly at the corners which is something I will need to detail when I do it again. The right eye needs to be fixed as is because it is too short and I would like to work a bit more on the bags and crinkles near the eyes. My sketch on the previous page is probably a more accurate representation of what I am trying to achive, the coloured version is more a test in technique before I decide what to sink time into. Thank you for your feedback :)