I'm back!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kelari

I'm back!

#1 Post by Kelari »

Bwa ha! Most people here probably won't remember me, but just over a year ago I started working with the Renpy dse...and I probably asked a couple goofy questions in the process.

When my computer took a nose dive and I lost everything, I got frustrated and gave up for a short time...and then life took over.

But I'm back!

And I'm going to make that dse, dang it all!

I liked renpy the first time, now with the newer versions it totally rocks!
PyTom, you're doing an excellent job, please do keep it up!

My game is probably something I shouldn't be trying to make as a newbie and all. I should probably be going for something a lot simpler my first time around....but I've been known to bite off more than I can chew before, and this time is probably no different.

I'm hoping to make a game that's pretty realistic, with a lot of choices, but not really anything extraneous. I think I also have a pretty good plotline (if at this point a little bland, juicy details usually come during the writing process) and I've got a lot of the visuals down.

While this game will be a bit simpler in the fact that I won't have any persona changes (you only get to be one person) I'm planning on having plenty of routes to go.

However, I do have a few questions. >.> I know, more of those. I'm hoping they'll be simple enough to answer, and just something I looked over.

First off, I'd like one of my stats (I have an overlay to the left of the say bar at the bottom showing the stats as bars) as a number instead of the bars that the rest have. Is this at all possible? If not, is it possible to do so in another overlay frame?

Also, I'd like to have more freedom with the dayplanner. I know this one is a bit tougher, but I'd like to do periods as hours during the day. My events are odd times, like school running into the afternoon, or if you skip school being able to do two or more things.

I might have copied it wrong from another thread...but it seems that the date function thing (shoot, I forgot what it's called...calendar?) doesn't work? Is that just me, or is there some other way to get month, day, and date?

I think that's about it, for now. I'll probably come up with a few more, but I'll hopefully be able to figure most of them out on my own :) I'll try to keep the question load to a minimum. Besides, it's more fun (if more frustrating) to try and figure it out anyway :D

Thanks so much in advance for any help, it is appreciated!

-Kelz
"Life in writing - it's always loquacious."

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Welcome back :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Hm... One idea I've had* is a more tokimeki-ish dating sim style, in which the user is constantly picking what he'll be doing. Perhaps we could model what you want as follows:

- The time of day is an important variable, rather then just window dressing.

- Based on the time of day, day of week, and other variables, there are a number of activities the user can do.

- When the user picks an activity, it occurs. Depending on the activity, it consumes some amount of time, and may set other variables, which in turn changes what the user can do.

This eliminates the day-planner in favor of a more real-time approach, which is I think a bit closer to real life. I mean, even if I have a vague plan for my day each morning, I don't follow it to the letter... If I meet a nice girl** and want to spend time with her, I will abandon all or part of my plan.

What do you think of this idea?

* I have to admit some inspiration from the shira-oka presentations.

** I wish.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kelari

OooOooh!

#4 Post by Kelari »

Thanks for the welcome back, Mikey!

PyTom, that sounds like a really interesting idea. I like the way it sounds!
I had no idea something like that was possible!

Is that still possible to have random events- like...winning the lottery or something?

It sounds great! Inspiration or not, you're a genius! :D

Kelari

erm..

#5 Post by Kelari »

If you're trying to get ahold of me, I had to change my msn account.
I'm now at sweetsexyncute@hotmail.com for messenger :oops: (was my husband's idea, I swear)
And my email is twoworlds07@gmail.com

Sorry if I'm causing troubles :?