Gamer Mom (freeware browser game)

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Gamer Mom (freeware browser game)

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

I found this one thanks to a post on Indie Games Festival. While Gamer Mom is described as a text adventure game, and "a character adventure game" on its own site, I'd say it has more in common with visual novels. No puzzles to solve, no need to input commands, and the graphic user interface just allows the player to click on a choice to continue.

This is essentially a short story about a family's conversation. The mother is talking about World of Warcraft, and she is trying to get her family interested in her hobbies. There are multiple endings.

I'm not sure if it would be fair to compare this to the indie game Facade. Someone else probably knows far more than I do about it...

Zylinder
Veteran

Re: Gamer Mom (freeware browser game)

#2 Post by Zylinder »

Haven't played the game yet, but I just wanted to say that the autobiographical comments in his code (The one linked in the comments on that page) are very interesting. Definitely pulled my interest, not only to the work but to his person as well. Will definitely play in a bit.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

This. Is. Depressing.

Can't get them to listen. Walkthrough, anyone?

edit: no walkthrough necessary.
There is no good ending. There is something that _seems_ to be a good ending at first (by a hilarious turn of events) yet it eventually becomes just as depressing as the rest of the game. Either you give in early, or you give in after your family tells you in no uncertain terms that you're no longer important to them. Not really a visual novel, more an exercise in spreading depression. And I mean that in a good way.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Zylinder
Veteran

#4 Post by Zylinder »

Played it too. According to the game creator, there IS a good ending, though some people spent 1-3 hours looking for it and didn't find any. Apparently it had a heart image of some kind? Of course, good is pretty subjective too so...

It's a depressing game, but also very thoughtful. If nothing else, it's a good exercise in empathy.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I played it and felt sad. Very sad... I don't even play WoW... The portrayal of the family seems pretty realistic. :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Zylinder wrote:Played it too. According to the game creator, there IS a good ending, though some people spent 1-3 hours looking for it and didn't find any. Apparently it had a heart image of some kind? Of course, good is pretty subjective too so...
The "heart ending" is an open ending, at best. It's a small, small sign that someone in the family still feels at least something for the mom. Though if you think about it, she's still not really anybody's priority...
More about me in my blog

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#7 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly find this depressing. Not at the level of The Company Of Myself, All That Matters, Don't Look Back or You Have One Chance, no. Maybe it's because of WoW as the subject matter, which I personally see as a frivolous thing anyway.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

I think it's not the lack of family's interest for WoW that depressing, but how they treat the mother like that... at least that's for me. They could at least pretend to be interested and then politely (or cleverly) reject.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Zylinder
Veteran

#9 Post by Zylinder »

For me, it's more because this is just another day for her - that is, this has been her life for a long time, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. And I feel that it wouldn't have made any difference if she had wanted them to go on a picnic, or visit a theme park, or go fishing. The reaction she would have gotten would be pretty much that exact same thing. Being ignored is a pretty hurtful experience. Of course, that's my interpretation of the game based on a lot of assumptions.

@Taleweaver

Y-You got it!? @_@ Do you have any kind of walkthrough/tip on how to get there?

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#10 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

I can see that, yes. Still doesn't make it too depressing... if only because in today's world this is supposed to be commonplace. I can easily see where the daughter and husband is coming from here: "Bah, my old woman and her good-for-nothing hobby again" and "Good gosh, can't she see that I'm propping this whole family up all the time? Why not do something more productive and leave me alone?" respectively.

There is also the fact that, as I said, WoW is a frivolous thing. That the mother brings it out as a (good-intentioned) attempt to bring the whole family together just screams juvenile and irresponsibility to me. Now, if the subject matter were something much, much more important - a distant relative on the mother's side of the family being sick and she wants the whole family to help out, for instance - the message would ring home that much more powerfully. Or better still, don't mention what it is that she is trying to persuade the family to support her to focus on the fact that she is being ignored rather than her hobby is being ignored. Not that the game doesn't try to portray the first, but the second is too much of a red herring.

Just my two cents. At the end of the day I guess it boils down to perspective.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

LVUER wrote:I think it's not the lack of family's interest for WoW that depressing, but how they treat the mother like that... at least that's for me. They could at least pretend to be interested and then politely (or cleverly) reject.
Exactly.
The game strongly hints that this is mostly the mother's fault, though. First of all, her firm belief that WoW can bring the family together is shown as... counter-productive, the reactions of both daughter and husband reveal that she and her love of WoW may be what originally brought the family apart, and her over-enthusiasm probably DOES seem creepy to most people who aren't into the game. So essentially, you get thrown into a hopeless situation, with the game's message being "once you're this far, the situation is beyond repair".
This is why I consider this a piece of good, even brave writing. Denying your readers a happy ending if the story can no longer have a happy ending is a daring task.
Zylinder wrote:Y-You got it!? @_@ Do you have any kind of walkthrough/tip on how to get there?
Well - not I got it. Someone on jayisgames got it:
1.As soon as that button appears click Engage them in chitchat.
2.Keep clicking School until it disappears.
3.Click Engage them in chitchat again. This time keep clicking Work until that button disappears too.
4.Click I think it might be safe to ask and then I'll just ask.
5.Choose to Be subtle and click They need more fun.
6.Choose to Give up.
7.Click He's interested twice. Then Set up the game just once.
8.Click the Heart twice (until it disappears). Click Set up the game once more and click the Heart to end the game.
Open ending.
More about me in my blog

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

Tried it once again, thanks for the walkthrough ;)
The open ending is pretty good. At least the mother get a chance, hope she doesn't blow it this time?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW