For the rest of your otaku life.
Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#76 Post by Starshine »

Depending on how the character looks and what personality they have, i like feminine male characters and i like the female characters to look average. If the game is anime or cartoony i guess i would go on the designs of the characters. I mostly love games where you can change the characters clothes, due to the fact that sometimes what they wear can put you off them, so in total i dont really mind if i play as male or female characters in games.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#77 Post by Twisted-Eva »

I'd play as female whatever chance I get, but if the game involves romance as a side dish to the game (like Persona 3) then I have no choice but to play as the guy. I don't really mind, I just think of it as making a love story XD
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

Cain

#78 Post by Cain »

In (MMO)RPGs, I always take the opposite: female.
They usually appear to have a bit more attitude and beauty to them than the guys.
(Could it be due to the many males in the industry?)

Oddly enough, I still prefer male when playing Eroges, as I'm not used to getting something
trust into my poo-poo. :(

south desert islander
Regular

#79 Post by south desert islander »

When it comes down to it, I usually play male characters. I don't have a clear reason for it, but I guess I can just relate more as guy playing as a guy character. It's not an exclusive thing, I sometimes just go random and play female for no reason. I did that when playing Dragon Age II, and a few MMO RPGs out there.

RVB
Regular
Organization: Brat Prince Productions
Deviantart: aambrosio

#80 Post by RVB »

I play as both! However, I prefer playing as the opposite gender (male). Its just... fun? The only time I care to play as a female is if, in a game, the potential love interest I want is only attracted to the female sex. Then I'm just like "asdfjkl;" and start another game alongside that one. That's what I did for Dragon Age Origins.

Currently, I'm playing Persona 3 and it is AWESOME. I am soooo going for Mitsuru.

cammy43551
Projects: Camry's Choice

#81 Post by cammy43551 »

Well I myself on any normal game will play as either male or female depending on the character story and on a romance level I myself am pansexual so I will play as either the male or the female it's not really a big deal to me ^^ 8)

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#82 Post by Destiny »

I almost always play male characters despite me being female.

The female characters are often over-sexualised. Also, when it is a online game woman are always getting molested (getting penis pics or asked for one night stands). Or - of course - we cheat when we are good because some male players still believe the cliche that woman aren't good at video games.

But if there is a fixed gender for the character, i play what I get without lamenting.
I like both genders, but especially online is the male gender simply the better.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#83 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

I always pick a female character even though I'm male. It doesn't have nothing to do with sexuality but is something I gotten used to.
I do however pick a male character if I like him (Persona 3 Portable) but using a girl might lead to unexpected events (Fate Extra
when following Rin's route with Archer).
I think it has something to do with the fact that is easier to like a female character.
Male characters often need to have that something which makes them special to you. On the other hand, as long as the female is
cute the player might be lead to go with her without much of a thought.

I don't like much to play games with fixed genders (Specially RPG). Sometimes you just don't like the protagonist and are stuck a bunch of hours playing with an annoyed face.

By the way, is anyone else waiting for Fate Extra CCC?

Flying Cat

#84 Post by Flying Cat »

I play female so I can associate with the character more.
The only exception is when the game has different storylines depending on the gender, in which case I will play as both on different save files (as long as the game is compelling enough).

Shalambay Shift
Regular
Projects: ASL!, PotD, MftBS, Capture~
Organization: Valonia, Shalambay Shift

#85 Post by Shalambay Shift »

Even though I'm a girl, I prefer playing galge than otoge.
I don't know why, but I actually can't connect to the protagonist very easily. (^_^")
I usually play as a male in JVNs, and female in OELVNs(since there are more of them).
VALONIA ~Shadow Valley~ | Blog
Nyofuuu~ fuu~ fuuu....

Ishikatsu
Regular
Projects: Nemuri

#86 Post by Ishikatsu »

Depends on the situation, really. I don't mind playing as a male despite being female; I started playing playstation games since I was about seven years old and there weren't many games with female protagonists available, at least in my country. I just got used to it. Well, to be precise, I never thought about it until now. When I have a chance, I usually play as a female. Probably purely instinctive decision :D
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

RaineDazeDays

#87 Post by RaineDazeDays »

For me, it usually depends on the designs of the characters. If it's a character of which you can customize everything from scratch then normally I play as a female. If it's an option where there you can choose between a male design or a female design, then I'll usually take the one that I like most. Third but not last, if there's storyline differences between choosing either a male or female, then I'll actually play through the game twice-- once as a male, the other as a female. c':

Oiram744
Projects: None anytime soon

#88 Post by Oiram744 »

For VNs, I don't mind if its GxB (I'm a guy). For other games where gender can be chosen, I seem to notice that 65% of the time, I play as female characters.
Don't hate those who make mistakes. Hate those who DENY that they did.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#89 Post by KittyKatStar »

It depends...

If the game is just aesthetics in design - like there is NO impact on the gameplay whether you play male or female, I'll just pick whatever design I like the best.

If I think there'll be some impact in the story, or the avatar is fully customizable, I generally go with the female. However in a second playthrough (like in the Summon Night series) I'll pick the male next time. It's fun to play the same game from two different perspectives.

For dating sims, I usually like otome games, but if there's an interesting BxG I'll also give it a shot. And if the game has combinations (GxB, BxB, GxG, BxG) I'll try them in any order from most appealing love interest to least regardless of gender. (Although I have been pleasantly surprised when the last person I select turns out to be my fav.)

I rarely play MMOs (get bored easily ^^; ) but I've only made females so far, since they're usually cuter.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#90 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I generally play as male. The exception is if there are multiple characters, then it varies depending on who has the coolest costumes/gear/powers.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.