Lucky's Art [Last update 29/06/12]

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
LuckyPixel

Lucky's Art [Last update 29/06/12]

#1 Post by LuckyPixel »

Hey!

This is my art thread, welcome all. This a hub were I seek to improve myself through feedback and dedication, I will attempt to update my page as much as possible and will respond to every piece of feedback to help improve myself as an artist.

Plans! :

I'm wishing to make some sprites as practice [Which I will post in the creative commons forum for anyone to use] for when I get around to making my own game. I'm not too experienced with making these sprites so any information such as emotions needed and such are much appreciated. If there is none i'l just go about it at my own accord.

Current Artwork [29/06/12] :

Probably the final update for this picture, thanks everyone for giving me advice! Only thing I have left to do is the flower basket, which I'l get around to one rainy afternoon. Please go ahead an criticize my colouring, I really wish to improve.

Past Artwork :

29/06/12 : http://i.imgur.com/Zg06r.png [Flower Girl Somewhat Finished]
28/06/12 : http://i.imgur.com/o32B6.png [Flower Girl WIP/Skin Shading and Detail]
27/06/12 : http://i.imgur.com/WF5h7.png [Flower Girl WIP/Block Colours]

thanks!
Last edited by LuckyPixel on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Lucky's Art

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

That. Is. Amazing.

They eyes are maybe a tad too big for my liking, but the rest looks almost professional, like a cel from an anime before post-production. I particularly love the way you draw hands - not many people can draw hands well.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Arelune
Regular

Re: Lucky's Art

#3 Post by Arelune »

Yeah, the eyes are somewhat big. And no eyebrows?
Other than that, it looks good. Especially the folds.

LuckyPixel

Re: Lucky's Art [Last update 28/06/12]

#4 Post by LuckyPixel »

@Taleweaver,

Thank you for your kind words! I agree with you about the eyes, in the initial sketch I'm honest they weren't so large, however they seem to have grown on me after working on it for awhile now. I shrunk them slightly in the updated image but not enough to really notice.

Also with the hands, thank you! but I will be the first to say they are not fun to draw. I actually sketch my own hands by looking at them in a mirror, unfortunately that usually ends up with male hands on my female characters.

p.s grats on administrator, haha

@Arelune,

I addressed the eyes in Taleweaver's comment, I attempted a few different types but i'm happy with how they look at the moment.

I can't believe I missed the lineart for the eyebrows! Thank you haha. I've always been scared when it comes to the folds in clothing not too sure what to do so i'm grateful for the comment!

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#5 Post by Darkmoonfire »

She looks very nice and the coloring looks good so far, especially on the hand holding the bucket. I think the eyes should go under the bangs rather than over them though. The size of the eyes looks fine to me, but I'm used to eyes that big and I don't really know how big they were before you updated the picture.

LuckyPixel

#6 Post by LuckyPixel »

@Darkmoonfire,

Thank you!

I took your advice and attempted drawing the bangs over the eyes, personally I believe the original looks slightly more appealing, but the newer version has a type of appeal of its own, looking for some more feedback maybe it is just individual preference.

Endorphin
Veteran

#7 Post by Endorphin »

I always prefer it when the bangs don't end behind the eyes - it's just weird.
If there is too much of the eye covered you can always show the eyes slightly transparent above the hair - it would be nice to try this out with the eyebrows too. =o
But it's really just a matter of taste - a lot of people prefer having eyes and eyebrows open, so just decide what you like the most. =)

- R.
Attachments
SomethingLikeThis.png
SomethingLikeThis.png (75.43 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

LuckyPixel

#8 Post by LuckyPixel »

@Ryouko,

That definitely looks the best in my opinion, thanks for taking your time to show me an example, I wouldn't have thought of doing that and I like the effect. The best of both worlds! :D