What's your internet connection like?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: What's your internet connection like?

#31 Post by LVUER »

Since it takes ages to access the site (let alone complete the test), I will take it again later (I have to work now). But usually, I only get 10-30Kbps (never stable) when downloading from fast sites. Could be lower when it's busy or slow.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#32 Post by kaleidofish »

Hey, it's a B! That's better than I thought it would be, considering how many people I'm sharing it with at home. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

nottiebutt
Regular

#33 Post by nottiebutt »

Wow you guys are lucky, haha!
I have a p decent speed of 3mbps download and 1mbps upload, which is actually pretty good for where I live.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#34 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oh, I have better internet than I thought. I'm at work at the moment so I'm going to test it again when I egt home since they're different ISPs.

Grade A+, Download: 93.64, Upload: 36.27 Ping: 0
(As a note, my home internet is only a D rating sooooo)

Though I do wonder how accurate it is.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#35 Post by Mink »

...D's still passing. >_>
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#36 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Once it reaches a certain speed, it only matters in huge downloads.
Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to figure out what size of games people are comfortable downloading.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#37 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Ah, I'm comfortable with any sort of download. I downloaded the Adobe Creative Suite with out giving it any sort of special thought, which was quite a few GB. (Yay, free copies for being a student!)

That being said, with big downloads, I'm fine with letting my computer sit around for the night. I'm not the type that likes to sit around and watch a download bar progress :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Arelune
Regular

#38 Post by Arelune »

I've yet to encounter a Ren'py game that proved to be a problem. Under 200Mb goes easy for me.
If it's bigger than a Gb I prefer torrents, but you don't find that here.

miaverana
Regular
Completed: Nothing at all~ ^w^
Projects: Amy's Super Life, Princess of the Death (belong to Princesses Series)
Organization: ~o0o Valonia o0o~

#39 Post by miaverana »

My internet connection is so-so (I thought it's slow, but compare it to some people around here, I think it's fine...)

Arcanum
Veteran

#40 Post by Arcanum »

I think it's a good representation of my shitty internet that I couldn't even open speedtest on the first try.

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#41 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Just got grade F. Wow. And this is the best connection I had in years.

syapheer

#42 Post by syapheer »

That's the best available speed for a plan with no quota (In Malaysian Borneo anyways). Plans that have data quotas generally have better speeds but the quotas are ridiculous.

My previous Internet plan was faster at ~8Mbps (download) but there was this download quota at a ridiculous 5GB.

I used to be very cautious when downloading large files because of the quota issue. I find that direct downloads are risky for large files because quotas are wasted when I have to retry if downloads messed up halfway. (No longer the case now.)

When thinking about the size of a game and how to distribute it, it'll be a good idea to consider the speed of the connection and the possibility of having people with download quotas.

I personally have very little problem downloading KNs/Vns here as they're usually less than 400MB although anything larger should preferably be through torrent.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#43 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

The way I'm planning on releasing my game (when it's finally done :lol: ) is through computer specific builds, since it'll cut down on the size. Other than that, I'm not really considering the size. If need be, I can break it into multi-part .rar files and seed a torrent for it to make it available :lol:

As for how I download my files, it's definitely preferable using torrents for large ones, simply because I don't like messing up in the middle of a long download and starting again. If there's a download manager though, that works too (although I'd have no idea how to create one, it was useful for downloading Photoshop, Windows 7, and plenty of other computer programs).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Tsuroika
Regular
Projects: Where tIme Die\s\

#44 Post by Tsuroika »

When I download stuff from the internet, I usually don't have issues with anything under a GB, so I'd be fine with that. If it's bigger though, like what redeyesblackpanda said, breaking it into separate parts would probably be best.
Regarding torrents, health could be a problem.
DA
Remember these feelings.
Warmth, not of the sun here, but of the one long forgotten~

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#45 Post by Miyuki »

Though at the moment the rest of the people in my house aren't online. We're never ever disconnected so downloading is kind of a pain for me. I don't like downloads that exceed 100mb. I prefer them around 50mb, but I don't mind using hj split or something to put them together.

In general I'll download things anyway as long as they're less than 200mb, but after that on my home connection I have to consider the time of day before I download anything. Like, now would be good since no one's online, but in the evening, that would be awful.