Critique Request?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
saskuto
Regular

Critique Request?

#1 Post by saskuto »

Hey there everyone, so I'm curious to know if the background style I've done here would suit a visual novel.

Here is a preview of the background I've done. With a pretty neutral colour palette.
bg prev.png
And here's a mock up of what it could look like in a game with my own art.
screen test.jpg
Any advice, comments & critique are much appreciated.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Critique Request?

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

I like the style.

Is the picture on the left supposed to pop out? The colours aren't as neutral as the rest of the background.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Zylinder
Veteran

#3 Post by Zylinder »

I think it looks good and suits the style of your sprites. The danger of using such a neutral color palette though, is that it's hard to tell the time from it. I'm assuming here the second BG is supposed to be night/evening, and that the lamp is turned on. I can tell it now because both BGs are right next to each other, but in the game, I wouldn't be able to tell that difference.

You can try fiddling with the palette a little bit more. Perhaps some traditional dark blue/purple at the window, a darker interior or a stronger contrast between the room and the lamp's glow might help C:

saskuto
Regular

#4 Post by saskuto »

Zylinder wrote:I think it looks good and suits the style of your sprites. The danger of using such a neutral color palette though, is that it's hard to tell the time from it. I'm assuming here the second BG is supposed to be night/evening, and that the lamp is turned on. I can tell it now because both BGs are right next to each other, but in the game, I wouldn't be able to tell that difference.

You can try fiddling with the palette a little bit more. Perhaps some traditional dark blue/purple at the window, a darker interior or a stronger contrast between the room and the lamp's glow might help C:
Thanks for the tip, since it's sort of vector which generally means flat colours I was having difficulty with the lighting in it.
I will try tweaking the palette in different variations rather than just overlaying a gradient XD

SusanTheCat wrote:I like the style.

Is the picture on the left supposed to pop out? The colours aren't as neutral as the rest of the background.

Susan
Ah yeah, I was attempting one of those sorta art deco geometric wall canvases hehe