What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? [Quiz game]

#31 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Blane Doyle wrote:I suppose that while I enjoy reading mysteries I am probably not geared toward writing them. I try to go for simple plots that work with a couple twists, not for what is the most interesting but makes less sense. That sort of makes for a boring mystery in the end though, unfortunately for me. XD
Well, your strengths are in Description, and from the looks of things possibly Characterization rather than Plot.
Blane Doyle wrote:As for the 1 in horror, I just thought it would be a 2 or 3 instead. But considering my horror style (subtle and/or slow depending on the story) I am not at all surprised it was a 1 now that I actually think about it.
Horror relies on detailed description and violence. With the 2 in Comedy, it appears that you prefer the pratfall forms of violence, not slasher stuff.
Blane Doyle wrote:Looking over what I answered and my results again I understand them a bit more and I think I am perfectly happy with them now.
It never hurts to know where your strong points are. :)
Blane Doyle wrote:I am wondering, though, would you consider making similar games like this in the future? I think a series of these would be helpful and interesting (if you are up for it anyway).
Absolutely! If I can think of one to do...
-- By the way, this took a surprising amount of prep-work! I actually had to use a spread sheet to map out each genre's strengths and weaknesses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Seeing that you're given descriptions and explanations about writing styles...I'm quite curious about mine. The quiz really had me scratching my head and rolling all around my bed while contemplating which of the choices I should pick. Since there were some that I used to be like in the past during my high school years that survived a bit into my current writing. And then the characters.....enough of that! Anyway, here's my results.
Writing styles do change over time, mainly because the more a writer writes, the more tricks they learn, and the fewer mistakes they make.
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Main one: Horror. (To be happy or not since I also enjoy writing fantasy...)

Gothic-1
Romance-1
Historical-2
Sci Fi-1
Lit-2
Horror-4
Suspense-1
Mystery-2
These genres all rely on detailed Description, the Historical and Horror in particular.
~~~~~~~~
Horror-4
Historical-2
Sci Fi-1
Suspense-1

These rely on strong Plotting, the Mystery in particular.
~~~~~~~~
Horror-4
Mystery-2

These rely on Emotional description, the Gothic in particular.
~~~~~~~~
Gothic-1
Romance-1

This is shows how much the writer is willing to break the rules of writing.
~~~~~~~~
Lit-2

So, this tells me that you're very strong in Descriptive writing, and fairly strong in Plotting, but with the Lit 2, I'd say you have a small amount of trouble deciding what you actually want to write about. That's my best guess, anyway.
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:I curse myself for wanting to make things believable.
Don't! A story lives or dies on how well the author can suspend the reader's disbelief, and that comes from knowing the facts first! Someone who has never kissed cannot describe kissing as well as someone who has.
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Edit: I gave my friends the link to your quiz and they're also curious about their writing style. So far only one gave me her results. Here's hers.

Romance-1
Historical-1
Science Fiction-2
Literature-1
Fantasy-2
Horror-1
Suspense-1
Comedy-4
Action Adventure-1
Whoa... Your friend is pretty much scattered all over the board. This generally means that she hasn't quite decided on what she wants to pursue. I'd say she's still in the experimental stage; trying things out to see what feels right to her.

These rely strongly on Premise, or Theme; the point the writer is trying to illustrate, the Sci-Fi in particular.
~~~~~~~~~
Comedy-4
Science Fiction-2
Horror-1

These rely on Characterization and Drama.
~~~~~~~~~
Comedy-4
Romance-1

These rely on detailed Description.
~~~~~~~~~~
Science Fiction-2
Fantasy-2
Historical-1
Horror-1

These rely on Action.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Fantasy-2
Suspense-1
Horror-1

It's pretty obvious that your friend is strongest in Premise, or Theme. In other words, her stories generally have a Point. A close second is Characterization, with Description just a little ways behind that. I would say your friend doesn't write unless she actually has something to say, and when she does, she focuses on the characters and the frustrations they're dealing with rather than the world around them. However, it's pretty obvious that her weakness is in Plotting.
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Edit 2: Got my other friend's. She retook the quiz since the first one said Children's Lit. She's still going "Bah!". Oh well gonna copy and paste hers anyway, I let her know I did.
Gothic: 4
Romance: 2
Historical: 2
Science Fiction: 2
Horror: 2
Literature: 1
Suspense: 1[/quote]

Okay... These rely on emotional Drama, the Gothic in particular.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Gothic: 4
Romance: 2

These rely on detailed Description, the Historical in particular.
~~~~~~~~~~
Historical: 2

These rely on Premise, or Theme, the Sci-Fi in particular.
~~~~~~~~~~

These rely on Action.
~~~~~~~~~~
Suspense: 1

I'd say your friend is strong on writing detailed, dramatically emotional scenes that have a point, but she's weak in Plotting. In other words, she's strong at coming up with Scenes that can rip your heart out, but not so good at Concluding those scenes. In other words, she has difficulty making Ends to her stories.

Keep in mind, these are my opinions to what I'm seeing. Only your friends know for sure if my opinions are accurate.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#32 Post by Blane Doyle »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Well, your strengths are in Description, and from the looks of things possibly Characterization rather than Plot.
Horror relies on detailed description and violence. With the 2 in Comedy, it appears that you prefer the pratfall forms of violence, not slasher stuff.
It never hurts to know where your strong points are. :)
I think you are spot on, honestly! I enjoy physical humor, that's for sure, Description is something I enjoy and feel comfortable writing, and I definitely put a heavy emphasis on characterization over... almost everything except writing quality, actually, now that I think about it.... huh.

And it certainly does help to know what my strong, and weak points! I will certainly be playing to what I know I am good with more now, and I'll be working on strengthening what I don't lean toward to even the playing field. I sort of wish I found something like this a long time ago, it would have definitely helped me out a lot.
OokamiKasumi wrote:Absolutely! If I can think of one to do...
-- By the way, this took a surprising amount of prep-work! I actually had to use a spread sheet to map out each genre's strengths and weaknesses.
Oh wow, that sounds like it would have been one MASSIVE spread sheet...

I know one thing people ask about and look for are settings. I don't know... why, but often I just see people saying "I have a story but I don't know where to set it". How one would pull that off though is the major question...

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#33 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Blane Doyle wrote:...I sort of wish I found something like this a long time ago, it would have definitely helped me out a lot.
Actually, this is an old Quizzila quiz I made over 6 or 8 years ago! LOL! I just decided to see if it could be done with Renpy.
Blane Doyle wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Absolutely! If I can think of one to do...
Oh wow, that sounds like it would have been one MASSIVE spread sheet...
Not too huge. I used a lot of abbreviations.
Blane Doyle wrote:I know one thing people ask about and look for are settings. I don't know... why, but often I just see people saying "I have a story but I don't know where to set it". How one would pull that off though is the major question...
Setting? That's easy. Put the story in the absolute Worst place such a story could happen. :)

As for a quiz... I have no idea what kinds of questions one would ask for something like that, never mind what answers they'd need. Any ideas? (I'd be happy to credit you in the game.)
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#34 Post by Blane Doyle »

OokamiKasumi wrote:As for a quiz... I have no idea what kinds of questions one would ask for something like that, never mind what answers they'd need. Any ideas? (I'd be happy to credit you in the game.)
(And in the moment I read that my brain decided to implode because aaaaaaah what wow really?)

I have a few off the top of my head, but it's all very vague.

One is essentially "do you want to set this in the past, present, or future?", which narrows the playing field if they know what they want. Another is what genre they are writing (if they know of it), and another could be the types of people their characters are (similar to your "Leading Man/Lady" question here). Common genre related settings like schools could have questions of their own with answers ranging from "yes, it will be in a school" to "no way, my characters left that years ago" or "my universe has no schools".

I think the major problem with a setting quiz is, unless they are going completely from scratch, it is impossible to know what their story is about and because of that the end result could be mismatched by accident. I suppose that could be remedied by filling in a basic sheet before questions or simply asking incredibly detailed ones.

This wouldn't be the first time I've come up with something that fights back... unfortunately, this time it was a something people could actually use.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#35 Post by RunicV »

This was quite fun to do. The graphics were beautiful as always, and the music was nice to listen to.
I felt like some choices were being overly exaggerated and making fun of some genres occasionally, but it was still fun to read and do.
I had a hard choice with some of the questions, but in the end managed to decide what I really wanted by elimination.
Played the game twice, and got the same result: Children's Books. :lol:
Children's Lit: 4
Gothic: 3, Literature: 3
Romance, Historical, Erotica, Science Fiction: 1
This was quite a fun game and pretty useful, great job on making this, Ookami! You always have such useful writing tips~
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

Arelune
Regular

#36 Post by Arelune »

I love that the choices were so detailed.
I sometimes had a hard time to decide what to pick. But this is the final score:
Gothic: 5
Fantasy: 2
Suspense: 2
Mystery, Horror, Comedy, Childrens Lit, Literature: 1

I took the test twice to take the other choices I liked, got Gothic again, but had some more points in Sci-Fi and Action Adventure.
What do you conclude about me, Ookami? :3 If you don't mind me asking.

effenelle
Regular
Projects: Un:Wanted [GxB]
Deviantart: effenelle

#37 Post by effenelle »

i'm sorry, i really want to play your quiz but i can't download it from mediafire nor from megaupload...would you please upload it to renai or somewhere else? i'd really appreciate it. thanks! :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#38 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Blane Doyle wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:As for a quiz... I have no idea what kinds of questions one would ask for something like that, never mind what answers they'd need. Any ideas? (I'd be happy to credit you in the game.)
(And in the moment I read that my brain decided to implode because aaaaaaah... what? wow... really?
Funny you should say that, the same thing happened to me.
-- I suspect the problem is because I've never had any difficulty coming up with a setting for any of my stories. Seriously. In fact, I often come up with the setting first, then decide what kind of story I want to happen there.
Blane Doyle wrote:I have a few off the top of my head, but it's all very vague. ... I think the major problem with a setting quiz is, unless they are going completely from scratch, it is impossible to know what their story is about and because of that the end result could be mismatched by accident. I suppose that could be remedied by filling in a basic sheet before questions or simply asking incredibly detailed ones.
Actually the real problem is the sheer number of setting possibilities. Literally, anything at all, in any corner of the globe and then some, can be used as a setting. All that is just not gonna fit into a little quiz game.
Blane Doyle wrote:This wouldn't be the first time I've come up with something that fights back... unfortunately, this time it was a something people could actually use.
LOL! I understand, I really do.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by OokamiKasumi »

RunicV wrote:This was quite fun to do. The graphics were beautiful as always, and the music was nice to listen to.
I'm glad you liked it!
RunicV wrote:I felt like some choices were being overly exaggerated and making fun of some genres occasionally, but it was still fun to read and do.
Heh... I suppose I tipped my hand a bit there, ne? Even so, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
RunicV wrote:I had a hard choice with some of the questions, but in the end managed to decide what I really wanted by elimination.
Excellent! Being choosy is the way to go with this. There are subtle differences in the answers.
RunicV wrote:Played the game twice, and got the same result: Children's Books. :lol:
Children's Lit: 4
Gothic: 3, Literature: 3
Romance, Historical, Erotica, Science Fiction: 1
This was quite a fun game and pretty useful, great job on making this, Ookami! You always have such useful writing tips~
Thank you so much!
-- If you're interested in an analysis, I just added a new page to the scores that tabulates that stuff for you.
FW07.jpg
(FictionQuiz 3.0 already uploaded to MediaFire and ready to download.)
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 3.0! [Quiz game ]

#40 Post by latte »

I've played the new version and answered more thoroughly this time, mainly because I was interested in the new results page. Turns out I got modest/5's on mostly everything... It's okay, self, you always knew you are an artist rather than a writer...

Seriously now, it doesn't bug me a lot because I write MG/YA stuff. As long as the story is entertaining, I'm fine. (Which is not to say they don't require work or knowledge)
Also, I scored at least one point in most genres this time, which makes more sense as my ideas are all over the place, though it's almost always fantasy. This quiz really reads through you!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by OokamiKasumi »

effenelle wrote:i'm sorry, i really want to play your quiz but i can't download it from mediafire nor from megaupload...would you please upload it to renai or somewhere else? i'd really appreciate it. thanks! :)
I have to get approval before RenAi will let me upload the game there. What I did was upload it Here. The link is in the first post. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
latte wrote:I've played the new version and answered more thoroughly this time, mainly because I was interested in the new results page. Turns out I got modest/5's on mostly everything... It's okay, self, you always knew you are an artist rather than a writer...
I probably should have added this to the labels somehow, but that's 5 out of 9. The highest score is 9! So, you're not doing that bad at all!
latte wrote:Seriously now, it doesn't bug me a lot because I write MG/YA stuff. As long as the story is entertaining, I'm fine. (Which is not to say they don't require work or knowledge)
Absolutely. As long as your readers are happy with your work, you're good!
latte wrote:Also, I scored at least one point in most genres this time, which makes more sense as my ideas are all over the place, though it's almost always fantasy. This quiz really reads through you!
I did my best to make the quiz as accurate as I could. (I worked everything out on a spread sheet first!) Hopefully the results will prove useful.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#42 Post by Aileo »

I took the quiz twice and I got Action-Adventure both times. Mystery and Children's Lit were 2nd and 3rd the first time, but it was Historical and 1 point all over the place the second time. The second quiz was v3.0, and it seems that I have average plotting, my premise is modest, but I build strong worlds.

Drama 4
Characterization 8
Description 5

I have to commend you on this. It was very fun to take the quiz and very accurate in highlighting my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not a professional writer, but I recognize what needs working on.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Aileo wrote:I took the quiz twice and I got Action-Adventure both times. Mystery and Children's Lit were 2nd and 3rd the first time, but it was Historical and 1 point all over the place the second time. The second quiz was v3.0, and it seems that I have average plotting, my premise is modest, but I build strong worlds.

Drama 4
Characterization 8
Description 5

I have to commend you on this. It was very fun to take the quiz and very accurate in highlighting my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not a professional writer, but I recognize what needs working on.
You know, I got an 'Average' rating or two myself, and I have decided that I Loathe that word. So, I changed it to 'Acceptable.' LOL!
I'm so glad you liked my little quiz game.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#44 Post by Hijiri »

I got horror for my result...not truly surprised TBH :P

Horror: 4
Action/Adventure: 2
Mystery: 1
Sci-Fi: 1
Gothic: 1
Erotica: 1

Everything else was 0.

EDIT: Second time around, I got 5 for horror, lost a point for Suspense, and added a point to Historical
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#45 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Hijiri wrote:I got horror for my result...not truly surprised TBH :P

Horror: 4
Action/Adventure: 2
Mystery: 1
Sci-Fi: 1
Gothic: 1
Erotica: 1

Everything else was 0.

EDIT: Second time around, I got 5 for horror, lost a point for Suspense, and added a point to Historical
Hi Hijiri!
-- I'm thrilled you tried my little game.
From the sounds of that, you're rather detail oriented in your stories. Way more than me, anyway.