Integrating animation and visual menu [solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
saskuto
Regular

Integrating animation and visual menu [solved]

#1 Post by saskuto »

Hey there~!

So I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm trying to double a picture menu. I have the graphics, basically the choice is to play as one character or another character. And the player is able to click one or the other and continue on with the story with that character. However, what I'm wondering is, is it possible to make the character selection screen better by incorporating an animation. I'd like for when the character is hovered over, for it to rotate rather than just have a glow around it done by image map. Is it possible?

Sorry if I've made little sense with this question! Any help is much appreciated. <3
Last edited by saskuto on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinsman
Regular

Re: Integrating animation and visual menu

#2 Post by Kinsman »

Sure. If you use an imagebutton, you can set its "idle" and "hover" states, and those states don't have to be just simple images. You can use ATL animations as well.

Code: Select all

image joe:
    "joe.png"

image joe_animated:
    "joe.png"
    linear 0.5 rotate 20
    linear 0.5 rotate 0
    repeat

screen characterselect:
    imagebutton idle "joe" hover "joe_animated" xpos 0.25 ypos 0.5 action Return("joe")
    imagebutton idle "jill" hover "jill_animated" xpos 0.75 ypos 0.5 action Return("jill")
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread