help: perspective for backgrounds [solved]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

help: perspective for backgrounds [solved]

#1 Post by fioricca »

Hi LSF! I've been struggling with this background for a while, and after re-drawing it a few times I decided that I should get help. Does anyone know how to draw the perspective of objects that are on an angle? I just can't seem to figure it out. Here's what I've been working on (you'd have seen this if you follow me on Tumblr):
help.jpg
As you can see, the circle depicts a soon-to-be table that's placed on an angle, in contrast to the straight tables behind it. For some reason, it just... looks really funny somehow, so I must have messed up on the construction lines somewhere. I need to draw another angled table beside it, and when I followed the same construction lines I used for this one, the result was pretty hideous. OTL

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

eta; wrong file oops, zoomed in on the tables so the construction lines are clearer |D";;
Last edited by fioricca on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

Re: help: perspective for backgrounds

#2 Post by JumpJump »

I can see what you are saying. My perspectives are all over the place, so I'm not sure if I can give any good advice, but, I'll try.

It looks like how that table is done, it should be closer to the viewer (seeing as you can see more of the surface). If you lower the end pointing away from the viewer, that might fix it.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#3 Post by latte »

I'm not sure if this is the correct method, but ever tried using another pair of vanishing points over the same horizon line? I've seen that in a tutorial a long time ago, and it usually helps.

fioricca
Veteran

#4 Post by fioricca »

JumpJump wrote:I can see what you are saying. My perspectives are all over the place, so I'm not sure if I can give any good advice, but, I'll try.

It looks like how that table is done, it should be closer to the viewer (seeing as you can see more of the surface). If you lower the end pointing away from the viewer, that might fix it.
I think so too, but I'm not sure how low I should go, and what the construction lines are like. D: I don't want to just... go intuitively without understanding the logic behind what I'm doing either...
latte wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct method, but ever tried using another pair of vanishing points over the same horizon line? I've seen that in a tutorial a long time ago, and it usually helps.
I wonder if this is what you're talking about?

I don't think that works in this case; adding vanishing points on a different horizon that's parallel to the original works if there are slopes (uphill/downhill views for instance) involved. In this case, the ground is level, it's just that the table is placed at an angle.

Thanks for the help though! *o*

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#5 Post by latte »

No no, here's the tutorial so you see what I mean: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Perspe ... -118068853
It's at "objects with unique vanishing points".

fioricca
Veteran

#6 Post by fioricca »

Ahhh okay so I gave it a go and
help2.jpg
Something like that? It still doesn't look quite right.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#7 Post by Geckos »

I don't know that I was able to mimic the perspective perfectly, but maybe this will help a little?

All of those rectangles are the exact same size, and level with one another.
Attachments
room_perspective3.jpg
room_perspective2.jpg
room_perspective.jpg
Image ImageImage

fioricca
Veteran

#8 Post by fioricca »

Ahhh how did you do that *o*

Thanks so much -- I'm going to play with these images now!

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#9 Post by nyaatrap »

Image 2 vanishing points which consists a cubic on the horizon. Then "drag" these 2 vanishing points left or right on the horizon. While dragging, image how the original cube is rotating. While in this operation, keep the length between 2 vanishing points the same (Precisely said, not the same. A vanishing point far from the canvas becomes more far).

fioricca
Veteran

Re: help: perspective for backgrounds [solved]

#10 Post by fioricca »

nyaatrap wrote:Image 2 vanishing points which consists a cubic on the horizon. Then "drag" these 2 vanishing points left or right on the horizon. While dragging, image how the original cube is rotating. While in this operation, keep the length between 2 vanishing points the same (Precisely said, not the same. A vanishing point far from the canvas becomes more far).
OH

OHHhhh

I see! That makes sense. Thanks a lot, Nyaatrap! *o*

saskuto
Regular

Re: help: perspective for backgrounds [solved]

#11 Post by saskuto »

for future reference, google sketchup is excellent for getting angles and perspectives right :D