What inspired you?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
e-imi

#16 Post by e-imi »

kara24601 wrote:
For me, sad to say, I guess it was the dating-sims on Newgrounds.
omg no way. I mean , they're good for a laugh...but ...inspiration...? ( just messing with you ...seriously though that's amazing somebody could be inspired by those messes and you were... ) :lol:
Well, I had never really heard of any games remotely like bishoujo games, so those really sparked my interest a bit. They are really crappy though. XD

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#17 Post by kara24601 »

Hehe , yeah , I started out playing hentai games too but I don't remember feeling all that "inspired" by them even though I enjoyed them. Good point though with the potential thing. :D

Fawkes - Feathered Melody
Regular

#18 Post by Fawkes - Feathered Melody »

I've been writing for several years now but I guess the progression goes like this.

My first entry into visual novels was finding a picture from Kanon and going "oh hey, that picture's pretty." Then I watched the old Kanon anime and I thought, "wow, this is deep." Fast forward a couple years. Out of sheer boredom and curiosity, I downloaded some of the free translated games. Games like Red Shift and later Narcissu. They had a very interesting way of storytelling that I thought had lots of emotional impact in a small package. What was more was that these weren't big commercial products. "Hey, I can do this too, but in my own way and tell my own stories."
Writer / Programmer
Crows Project: Released 12/15/07
Noctua: In Development. Demo 3 released.
Project Silk Road: Planning/Story Construction
"Live while awake. Live while dreaming."
We have a [new] website again!

chisa-chan
Regular

#19 Post by chisa-chan »

It started when someone scolded me and addressed me that I waste all the talents I have (alright, I can draw and write stories, though it's not so good compared to the others).

At first, I try to draw manga, however, at the end, I guess I have no talents in manga, plus there are so many people here who started to draw manga.

So? I decided to try something different. Visual novels seem to be easier for me to handle, and as far as I know I haven't heard anyone made VNs in here, so I started to data mining about VN engines, until I found Ren'Py (this suits me most).

I know I do my own game slowly, but I'm sure I'll finish this!
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

TYPE-Mercury

#20 Post by TYPE-Mercury »

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but I earned my inspiration to start making Visual Novels from Kinoku Nasu's works (Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night) as well as Utawarerumono and Ever 17. Each is epic, with a wonderful storyline, and thus, with such things as my guide, I must likewise make something epic with a wonderful storyline. :lol: That's the hope anyway. 3/4 of those were Eroges, but really, they'd have been much better off without the ero. So much easier to talk about in casual conversation, too. ^_^;

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#21 Post by mikey »

TYPE-Mercury wrote:I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but I earned my inspiration to start making Visual Novels from Kinoku Nasu's works (Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night) as well as Utawarerumono and Ever 17.
I'd say the reason is practical - the majority of us can't read or understand Japanese (I know that "sushi" means "sushi", but not really much more). Even E17 wasn't available in English up until recently.

TYPE-Mercury

#22 Post by TYPE-Mercury »

Ah- fair point. I can't read it all that much, either - curiosity got to me and wouldn't let go. XD

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#23 Post by akizakura »

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is really my big inspiration. Ryuukishi07's story is very original and entertaining, and even though his art style isn't very catching and he didn't seem to have much to work with on his own (using photomanipulated backgrounds and public domain music) he was still able to construct a terrifying and enveloping story with what he had.

That and I love to write and draw (though I may not be very skilled), so making a visual novel just seems really fitting and interesting. And also like Type Mercury said, epic stories like Tsukihime and F/SN (still waiting to play the whole game) that really seem to have broke out of the normal pigeon holes of Visual Novels/Eroge.

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#24 Post by Recca Phoenix »

1.I had always wanted to make video games.
2.I have zillions of stories swimming around in my head that I want to do something with
3.I love art, writing, music, and movies but can't decide which to pursue
4.I watched Meine Liebe and other animes based on dating sims (as well as some "bishonen-fests") in the past and wanted to help the average American (or whatever country's) fangirl get her dose (....I know what it's like......) because there aren't enough English GxB on the market.
5.Artistic expression for one pursuing a non-art major/career

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: What inspired you?

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

....Me?
Don't laugh, but it's Host Love.

honoreixix
Regular

Re:

#26 Post by honoreixix »

TYPE-Mercury wrote:I earned my inspiration to start making Visual Novels from Kinoku Nasu's works (Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night)
same goes for me as well...XD
I'm hidden and no one expects much of me... I just hope I don't disappoint anyone...
I'd rather fail doing something I love than succeed doing something I hate...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#27 Post by LVUER »

I love manga and love even more making it. Goes from that, I love VN and making VN.
Since I love drawing manga, it is my dream to see my characters moving and speaking in anime or made into games like RPGs or VNs.
I think that dream that inspired me to make VNs ^_^

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#28 Post by risingbamboobanana »

real life, mythology, and masterful storytellling no matter the form (: whenever i read/watch something that can make me laugh, cry or scare the crap out of me..or even make me feel anything at all, i can't help but think to myself "man, i wish i could do that."
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Cybeat »

Watching Fate/Stay Night only once motivated me. Like TYPE-Mercury and honoreixix.
Last edited by Cybeat on Tue May 13, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#30 Post by bloodywyvern »

The first visual novel I ever played was actually Ori, Ochi, Onoe. To me while not being the best, it was a delightful play through (er, multiple playthroughs) that helped me realize what exactly a visual novel was. I mean, I had played games of the type before but like many I didn't really know that much about them. After playing the game, I looked more in to it, and after seeing Fate/Stay Night...well that propelled me in to full blown fandom. Played Tsukihime and FSN as translated by mirror moon, expensive but worth it...the FSN box is one of my prized possessions!

Utawarerumono came after the anime, played through that recently as again...translate by mirror moon. They basically translate anything I've ever wanted to play >.>;

My next goal, Kanon! I have the 67% patch but I'm waiting for the full one from NDT. The wait is so hard!

Anyway, what inspires me outside of getting me in to the genre is usually just my interests. I just come up with random ideas and scenarios based on what I already like, so I don't need much external stimulus. I simply need to enjoy things lol.

I'm proud to say Ori, Ochi, Onoe was my first VN, and a wonderful one at that. FSN may have started the fandom for me, but O3 surely started the spark.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1