Japanese games on PSN - Sentimental Graffiti

For the rest of your otaku life.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Japanese games on PSN - Sentimental Graffiti

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

So they put some PS1 classics on Playstation Network including a date sim called Sentimental Graffiti! GREAT!

Then I look at the screenshots... It's all in Japanese!!! WHYYYYYYYY :cry: So close yet so far... I just don't get it. The shooters they released in Japanese probably still make sense if you don't know the language well, but a game with lots of text? And there was another one (forget what it's called) that looked cool, like an RPG kind of thing, but it was all in Japanese too.

Why must you tease us so, PSN? ;_;
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Ebenezer

Re: Japanese games on PSN - Sentimental Graffiti

#2 Post by Ebenezer »

Blue Lemma wrote:So they put some PS1 classics on Playstation Network including a date sim called Sentimental Graffiti! GREAT!

Then I look at the screenshots... It's all in Japanese!!! WHYYYYYYYY :cry: So close yet so far... I just don't get it. The shooters they released in Japanese probably still make sense if you don't know the language well, but a game with lots of text? And there was another one (forget what it's called) that looked cool, like an RPG kind of thing, but it was all in Japanese too.

Why must you tease us so, PSN?
;_;
I hope there will be english version soon

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

There have been a few instances of somewhat niche games that were made five or more years ago getting new professional localizations. (Such as the PSP remakes of Persona 1 and P2 Innocent Sin, as well as Ys 1-3 remakes; or the DS versions of Dragon Quest 4-6. And Sakura Wars 5, though both the original PS2 version and a Wii port were translated.) This is also true in anime fandom. (After all these years, Legendary Ninja Cats is finally getting a region 1 DVD. The famous gag dub version of the series, Samurai Pizza Cats, is expected to be released in the near future.)

Unfortunately, I don't hold out any hope for an official translation of Sentimental Graffiti. A spinoff TV series called Sentimental Journey was released on region 1 DVD back in 2004, and while I don't know if it's in print, it's still relatively easy to find and inexpensive. While I want to see more '90s romance games available in English, I don't know if any companies think they can make money by translating them.

If you want to see SenGra in English, then you may need to assemble a group and create a fan translation. Or make your own similar game, taking inspiration from its themes and game mechanics. (There's a guide for the second and less popular SenGra game on GameFAQs). This is of course easier said than done...

Tonna

#4 Post by Tonna »

Oh... This game is so popular when I'm in high school ....
that make me remember my school life period...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Gungho will be publishing a few more untranslated games with more than a bit of text on PSN. One small twist: "The PlayStation blog also noted that a series of walkthrough videos are in the works so the titles can be played by non-native speakers." I'm not sure how useful that is... It reminds me of the two or three times I attempted to play an untranslated game with assistance only from a guide on GameFAQs.

Lachez
Regular
Projects: Nakajo

#6 Post by Lachez »

Oh my gosh Lemma, I was trying for the past month to try and remember where this picture I had saved over 10 years ago that inspired a character from my earlier writings and found it when I searched about SenGa on google. A bit unrelated but I've been searching for it since anime visions shut down so long ago for the nostalgia. THANK YOU.