Music Creation: Hardware and Software

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Odin

Music Creation: Hardware and Software

#1 Post by Odin »

I've got two questions for all you musicians out there, and I hope they're addressed in this thread.

First off, I want to know what kind of setup you all have hardware-wise. What headphones you use, computer setup, keyboards, that stuff. I'm on tight budget right now, so I've got an M-Audio 61-key MIDI board.

Secondly, I was wondering what software you guys use. FL, Logic, Cubase, or something like that? And what you think about doing notation, too. Do you like it? Hate it? Is it too time-consuming? I understand that it's mainly preference, but I'm trying to develop the best habits for creating music. I'd appreciate any responses I get. :)

JKOL
Projects: Wasurenagasa

Re: Music Creation: Hardware and Software

#2 Post by JKOL »

I use Cubase 5 and I've got a M-Audio Keystation 88ES keyboard (88 keys is a must-have for me).

Unless you want someone to play your music, I wouldn't worry about doing notation.
I think it's less time-consuming and more effective to just record and/or use the piano roll editor.
But if you enjoy doing notation, go for it. :)

ZackParrish
Regular

#3 Post by ZackParrish »

Hardware...

AKG K240 Studio Headphones
Behringer UMX49 MIDI Controller
Roland EP-760 Digital Piano
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (Soundcard)

And other misc hardware that I just have lying around that I never use anymore like condenser mics, rack gear, monitors, etc...

Software...
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5
Kontakt 4
Play 3
Guitar Rig 3
Absynth
Battery 3
Wavosaur(it's free, and it's easy to set up loop markers in wav files with it)

Notation depends entirely on the individual. Guy above says it's useless, but I find it quite useful considering that I can write much faster using notation than a piano roll or step sequencer. I have a few friends who use staff view when composing too, so it's just a matter of figuring out what suits you the best. Same goes for all the hardware and software, just have to dive in and start testing the waters. Most DAWs have freeware trials you can download to test them out. Hardware it's best if you do some research on the technical side of things and discern what exactly it is you are after. Are you looking for headphones with a rather flat frequency response(great for mastering), or headphones with more oomph in the bass register? Do you want powerful monitors, or balanced monitors?

M-Audio makes a lot of nice stuff for a fair price, behringer makes generic stuff for next to nothing, Mackie makes top of the line stuff and you'll be broke after buying it, etc. Just gotta establish how committed you are to this, what it is you really need to do what it is you want to do, then dig in and start learning everything you need to know and then make it happen.

Tootles,
Zack

JKOL
Projects: Wasurenagasa

#4 Post by JKOL »

I didn't mean to imply that doing notation is useless.
I guess it also depends on the DAW you're using,
because the score editor in Cubase 5, for example, is really difficult to use.
It's much easier to edit MIDI data (CC1, velocity, note lengths, etc.) in the piano roll editor.
But again, do what works for you.

Beck

#5 Post by Beck »

I'm gonna necro an old thread.

Software:
Sonar X1 Producer
Sibelius 7
East West Gold
Real Guitar
Guitar Rig 5
Melodyne Editor
Pianoteq 2 (which every composer should have a copy of this, btw)
Waves Mercury

Hardware:
Various guitars
Alesis Q25
M Audio Fast Track Pro
Yamaha Clavinova P-100 (ancient, but still works)
Beringer True 10 inch (pair)
SM57 (pair)
MXL 910

...upon taking inventory for the first time, I realize I have too stuff for a hobbiest, and not enough to do this professionally.

mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

#6 Post by mjshi »

I use Finale and I don't really have a MIDI keyboard... :?
So yeah, I mostly use notation instead of actually playing something out. By 'mostly', I mean if I'm not just mixing pre-made loops.

@ Odin: Do you like it? Hate it?
Well, currently I like it with my small little < 1 min songs but if I were to start a large project I would probably start to dislike the interface.
Another one of notation's charms is that whenever you enter playback mode, it plays your composition to you beautifully. Perfectly. A computer doesn't make mistakes, unless it has a virus in it that messes with its calculating or something. The same, however, cannot be said for live performances. I bet I make more mistakes practicing my viola on one musical piece in a minute than the number of musical pieces I've ever performed in my life.

@ Odin: Is it too time-consuming?
Again, with the small projects it really isn't THAT time consuming. Usually notation software comes with a 'Speedy Entry' or 'Quick Entry' tool that you can use to input the notes instead of dragging them/clicking on them then clicking the place you want the note to go.
It definitely is slower than using a MIDI device, though. A lot slower- even though I've never used one before, it's common sense- which is faster, playing an instrument through a piece once and the computer recording it or clicking/dragging every single little note from a piece onto the bars, one at a time?

ToddSmithComposer
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by ToddSmithComposer »

As I have grown up with a huge musical theory background, I find that I need to see the sheet music to know what I am doing. I use Sibelius 7 to achieve that. It may be a slower process, but I find I can achieve a more memorable and better musical product. I have no midi keyboards or anything because I don't need them as I tend to stick to the classical style of writing. Another advantage of sheet music is that you can then give out your music for people to either play or look at.
Here is an example or about an hours work in sibelius - https://soundcloud.com/todd-vivace-smit ... thdayeamon (Legend of Zelda fans will love this:p )

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular
Projects: Lost Girl

#8 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

hardware:
M-Audio 88 Keystation
A somewhat lame 49 key keymaster MIDI controller
M-Audio Fast-track Pro audio interface
A Shure SM58 microphone

Software:

FL Studio10/11
NI Komplete 8
A bunch of East West PLAY instruments
And some other random synths.

I don't really use notation but I might start if I want someone to play my pieces.

You don't really need all of that if you're just getting started.

The main thing is to have a program with some decent sounds and you should understand a little bit about how music works in general so you can start putting things together. (basic chord progression, scales)
Music and sound effects
SoundCloud | YouTube | Facebook
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt
Let me know if you'd like some help.