Help with an animated RPG combat system?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#31 Post by monele »

Well, I'll be honest, I didn't really know what to expect and actually had very low expectations. Wow... what a slap in the face XD...
I thought there would be only the bare interface and all, but yay, animation... good and dynamic animation! ^.^. A great job :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#32 Post by chronoluminaire »

Wow. This has been perfect timing, because I've been writing a similar engine for Elven Relations v1.1, and, well... was running up against precisely the same things kamiomi was. I've been able to take some of the code supplied here and use it with minor modifications in Elven Relations.

The combat system there had different requirements - for one thing it was an absolute requirement to have three or four party members, because that was the whole point in having combats in ER, that your actions in the combats could affect different characters individually. But I've still been able to take some of this code, which is great.

Problem is, there are a number of things your engine does that mine doesn't... :oops:
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

kamiomi

#33 Post by kamiomi »

I thought about trying to set it up for a "party", but I didn't really need that for what I might use it for, and it would have been a lot of additional work. At the very least, you'd have to keep swapping out the various "player___" variables, with each character's stats, however you'd have those saved individually.

Anyway, I'm glad everyone likes it. If you can get any use out of it, in whole, or in part, please do. I hope the animation is easy to duplicate with someone else's characters, I tried to keep it simple (9 frames at the most).

:mrgreen:

valeatory
Regular
Projects: Nightglove Institute, Monstrata Fracture
Organization: Astralore Games
Tumblr: valeatory
itch: astralore

#34 Post by valeatory »

I've been setting up a slightly different (but mostly the same) battle system involving party battle, but I was having trouble with the fact that I had the huge whole chunk for attacking enemy 1, and then another huge whole chunk that was for attacking enemy 2.... When I have to add all four of my allies attacking all five of my enemies, I think I am going to go crazy. Is there a fairly simple way to consolidate all of that?

also, can I use an image for the widget frame? I currently have my widget frame set to completely transparent for my main menu, but I don't want my hp slider's backgrounds like that, too.