What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Trixar_za
Regular

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

#181 Post by Trixar_za »

OokamiKasumi wrote:How odd... Comedy writing Relies on careful plotting. One must make sure that all details and events connect to the Punch-line of the story, (the Ending). If it doesn't, it won't make sense.
While I self-studied writing, I've never actually finished any of the stories I've started (excluding the ones for creative writing classes because they just don't count). I have like 12 stories in limbo at the moment. Generally I have an idea of where to start and where I want the story to go. Considering I also have trouble creating goals and being self-motivated in life; it probably explains why I never end up finishing what I start.

Comedy has always been one of my favorites since I picked up my wit from reading Terry Pratchett books. It's a bit more than just set up for a final punch line and there a bunch of ways you can do it. I like it more because it's hard to do and that I can use a pun in almost every paragraph. I really enjoy putting a very snarky character in absurd situations just to not have them react to it. At all. I don't know why, but having a character not try to be funny or make jokes about a situation while it's absurd seems to be hilarious to me. I guess I do it for fun more than to finish a story.

AngelicBlood
Regular
Projects: House of Hearts

#182 Post by AngelicBlood »

Trixar_za wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:How odd... Comedy writing Relies on careful plotting. One must make sure that all details and events connect to the Punch-line of the story, (the Ending). If it doesn't, it won't make sense.
While I self-studied writing, I've never actually finished any of the stories I've started (excluding the ones for creative writing classes because they just don't count). I have like 12 stories in limbo at the moment. Generally I have an idea of where to start and where I want the story to go. Considering I also have trouble creating goals and being self-motivated in life; it probably explains why I never end up finishing what I start.

Comedy has always been one of my favorites since I picked up my wit from reading Terry Pratchett books. It's a bit more than just set up for a final punch line and there a bunch of ways you can do it. I like it more because it's hard to do and that I can use a pun in almost every paragraph. I really enjoy putting a very snarky character in absurd situations just to not have them react to it. At all. I don't know why, but having a character not try to be funny or make jokes about a situation while it's absurd seems to be hilarious to me. I guess I do it for fun more than to finish a story.
Alot of stories in limbo?Oh, oh, I know the feeling. I know it way too well ;n;

Delta m.m
Regular

#183 Post by Delta m.m »

Mystery?!
well...
maayyybeeee..... 8)

the rest of the scores:
Gothic:0, Romance:0, Historical:2, Science Fiction:1(I don't think this one is accurate), Literature:1
Erotica:0, Fantasy:2, Horror:3, Suspense:1, Mystery:5, Comedy:0, Action Adventure:3
Children's Lit:1

Nice quiz by the way, I enjoyed it, thank you.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#184 Post by OokamiKasumi »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ Minnfae
Minnfae wrote:Sweet quiz :)
I got a tie of sorts between science fiction, fantasy and children's lit. It was really hard to decide how to answer some of the questions, I'm not sure if I'm really that big on descriptions of places and such in my actual writings, but I guess my style varies between stories
I'm glad you liked it!
-- Science-fiction is strong in world-building, but even more so in Premise; the point the story is trying to make. Fantasy is super strong in World-building. Children's Lit is strong in Characterization.

Writing styles DO vary between types of stories, rather widely in fact because different genres have different needs to express that style of story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ 8oni
8oni wrote:Mine is horror. Cool. :mrgreen:
I adore Horror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ SilverxBlue
SilverxBlue wrote:Welp, I got mystery. No surprises there. I had a tie-breaker question though. Must be for Romance and Gothic that had a three.

What shocked me was that I got a 0 for Fantasy. I find it odd since I've been reading a lot of fantasy books when I was younger. Not to mention I've always been attracted to Fantasy RPGsXD
Not so shocking when you realize that the more common High Fantasy you see is in fact, Action-Adventure in a Fantasy setting. Real Fantasy, as in; JRR Tolkien and Peter S Beagle, focus on World-building and Description far more than Adventure. Those books are so detailed in their setting descriptions, they're almost travelogues.

Mystery on the other hand, focuses on PLOTTING. Romances and Gothics, however, are Character and Drama-driven.
SilverxBlue wrote:This was really fun and maybe I'll keep this in my hard-drive and replay it to see if something changes after a few months.
Writing styles DO change, almost constantly! In fact, with every new technique a writer learns, and every new type of story they write, their style shifts.
SilverxBlue wrote:Thanks for making this~
My pleasure.
SilverxBlue wrote:Now I'm tempted to make a quiz-type mini game for one of my VNs, but that would make it so complicated. XD
LOL! Try a small stand-alone quiz first, just to get a handle on how it works. People will definitely play it. If people didn't like quizzes, Quizilla would have never gotten off the ground.
SilverxBlue wrote:I'm so disappointed with my description score...
Ah... THIS is why you scored so low on Fantasy. Fantasy relies heavily on Description.
SilverxBlue wrote:...and my rather mediocre Characterization and Drama score. ;A;
And this is why you didn't get Action-Adventure, the genre a lot of so-called Fantasy novels really fall under.

Look at it this way, at least now you know what you need to work on! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ Trixar_za
Trixar_za wrote:While I self-studied writing...
I started with self-training too. I'm pretty sure all writers do.
Trixar_za wrote:I've never actually finished any of the stories I've started... Generally I have an idea of where to start and where I want the story to go. Considering I also have trouble creating goals and being self-motivated in life; it probably explains why I never end up finishing what I start.
Actually, I can almost guarantee that it's not your Ideas that are lacking, but the obsessive-compulsive urge to 'keep going until it's finished' that you need.
Trixar_za wrote:Comedy has always been one of my favorites since I picked up my wit from reading Terry Pratchett books. It's a bit more than just set up for a final punch line and there a bunch of ways you can do it. I like it more because it's hard to do and that I can use a pun in almost every paragraph. I really enjoy putting a very snarky character in absurd situations just to not have them react to it. At all. I don't know why, but having a character not try to be funny or make jokes about a situation while it's absurd seems to be hilarious to me. I guess I do it for fun more than to finish a story.
This tells me that it's definitely Not your ideas that's the problem. Life can be hugely distracting, especially when you have friends, family, and a job clamoring for your attention -- and it gets worse if you have kids.

The good news is, life Does settle down with time. This is why most authors' careers don't begin until they're 40.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ AngelicBlood
AngelicBlood wrote:
Trixar_za wrote:...While I self-studied writing, I've never actually finished any of the stories I've started (excluding the ones for creative writing classes because they just don't count). I have like 12 stories in limbo at the moment. ...
Alot of stories in limbo? Oh, oh, I know the feeling. I know it way too well ;n;
Don't we all? I have way, way more than 12 in limbo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ Delta m.m
Delta m.m wrote:Mystery?! well... maayyybeeee..... 8)
The important scores are these:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mystery:5 - Super Strong in Plotting.
Action Adventure:3 - Strong in Characterization and Description.
Horror:3 - Super Strong in Description and Strong in Drama.

This tells me you have a fairly well-rounded writing skill set, so you're probably quite interesting to read. Did you see the second page which scores your strengths and weaknesses in Plotting and Characterization, etc.?
Delta m.m wrote:Nice quiz by the way, I enjoyed it, thank you.
I'm glad you liked it!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Delta m.m
Regular

#185 Post by Delta m.m »

OokamiKasumi wrote: Did you see the second page which scores your strengths and weaknesses in Plotting and Characterization, etc.?
yes, here they are:
Drama:7, Charactization:8, Description:7, Plotting: Strong, Premise: Respectable,
World Building:Respectable, Novelty: Very Strong,
Male Lead: Modest, Female Lead: Respectable, Villain: Modest.

I'm not a native English, but does the word Charactization exist?!, I've never seen it before?

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#186 Post by ShippoK »

Delta m.m wrote:
I'm not a native English, but does the word Charactization exist?!, I've never seen it before?
From Wiki-Wiki and Dixy-Dixy
Characterization; char·ac·ter·i·za·tion
Characterization or characterisation is the art of creating characters for a narrative,[1] including the process of conveying information about them. It may be employed in dramatic works of art or everyday conversation. Characters may be presented by means of description, through their actions, speech, or thoughts.

portrayal; description: the actor's characterization of a politician.
the act of characterizing.
the creation and convincing representation of fictitious characters.
In a nutshell; Explaining said Character and said Character motives.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#187 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Delta m.m wrote:Drama:7, Characterization:8, Description:7, Plotting: Strong, Premise: Respectable, World Building:Respectable, Novelty: Very Strong,
Male Lead: Modest, Female Lead: Respectable, Villain: Modest.
Your trouble spot is Novelty.
-- I use Novelty to mark how much a writer is willing to apply accuracy and research in World-building and Description. Even pure Fantasy has to abide by certain consistencies -- even if gravity isn't one of them.

Something to consider....
-- How strongly a Reader reacts to a story is directly connected to how realistic they feel the story is, even if the only realistic thing in the story are the emotions of the characters they're reading about.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Delta m.m
Regular

#188 Post by Delta m.m »

@ShippoK:
thank you Shippok, but...
I'm aware of the word Characterization, but in the quiz it was written "Charactization", without the "er".
so basically I was asking if such a word exists or is it a misspelling?
but now I noticed that OokamiKasumi corrected it in the quote, so I take it it's a misspelling in the game?
OokamiKasumi wrote:How strongly a Reader reacts to a story is directly connected to how realistic they feel the story is
true.
although I think "realistic" means realistic in the story's world not in our world.
for example, I always admired the Mass Effect series because of the realism in the story's world, they made a few unrealistic ideas like "Element Zero" and used them to build everything in a logical way.

here are some lines from the Codex:
MassEffect Codex wrote:Element Zero (Atomic Number 0, Chemical Symbol Ez), also known as "eezo", is a rare material that, when subjected to an electrical current, releases dark energy which can be manipulated into a mass effect field, raising or lowering the mass of all objects within that field. A positive current increases mass, a negative current decreases it.
Obviously very unrealistic (Atomic number=0 that means there's no material :lol: ) and here are some of the logical ways to use it (if it exists):
MassEffect Codex wrote:In space, low-mass fields allow FTL (Faster Than Light) travel and inexpensive surface-to-orbit transit. High-mass fields create artificial gravity and push space debris away from vessels. In manufacturing low-mass fields permit the creation of evenly-blended alloys, while high mass compaction creates dense, sturdy construction materials.

The military makes extensive use of mobility enhancing technologies, with mass effect utilizing fighting vehicles standard front-line issue in most military forces. Mass effect fields are also essential in the creation of kinetic barriers or shields to protect against enemy fire.
plus Mass relays, Biotics, mass accelerators etc.

I think the same almost goes for the Tiberium in Command and Conquer.

So I found this a good way to build a "realistic" story, everything is perfectly real and logical IF that particular unrealistic thing (happened/existed/did not exist/etc.)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#189 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Delta m.m wrote:...I take it it's a misspelling in the game?
Yes, it was a misspelling. (Face, meet palm.)
Delta m.m wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:How strongly a Reader reacts to a story is directly connected to how realistic they feel the story is
true. although I think "realistic" means realistic in the story's world not in our world.
That's it, exactly. It only needs to be plausible enough to suspend disbelief in the story.
Delta m.m wrote:...So I found this a good way to build a "realistic" story, everything is perfectly real and logical IF that particular unrealistic thing (happened/existed/did not exist/etc.)
With that much dedication to research, you'd make an excellent Sci-Fi author.

deviltales
Regular

#190 Post by deviltales »

hmm.. I always wondered.
Well, I got gothics, no surprise here, considering I read Dracula first time when I was ten... and didn't understand anything :lol:
So, these are my results..
Drama - 7; Characterization - 9; Description - 6;
Plotting, Premise, Female Lead and Villain - Respectable
World building, Novelty and Male Lead - Strong
Seems that I also have an eye for Children's Lit(4);
Horror and Literature and Action adventure - 2;
Historical - 1
The rest are bare 0. :lol:

Anyway, congratulations for the game(quiz)! :D
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#191 Post by lemonscent »

Keep in mind I had to answer the tie-breaker question 4 or 5 times (I put a different answer in each time just in case). && I'd be good at suspense, apparently... which is kind of weird, since I rarely read suspense novels/manga (unless seinen action counts as suspense? ...iunno). And by rarely, I mean I've probably read like two, tops... orz And I read so much seinen action manga that it's cringe-worthy, but I got a 0 in action-adventure... I don't understand orz

Gothic: 3
Sci-Fi: 3
Fantasy: 2
Mystery: 2
Romance: 1
Literature: 1
Horror: 3
Comedy: 1
Children's Lit: 2
Historical: 1
Erotica: 0
Suspense: 4
Action-Adventure: 0

Drama: 7
Characterization: 12
Description: 3

Plotting: Respectable
Premise: Respectable
World Building: Strong
Novelty:Strong

Male lead: Modest
Female lead: Respectable
Villain: Strong

............ yup. that's wonderful. Apparently I'm better at writing villains than heroes. Yeah, that's just great. OTL Q____Q
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#192 Post by OokamiKasumi »

lemonscent wrote:...I'd be good at suspense, apparently... which is kind of weird, since I rarely read suspense novels/manga (unless seinen action counts as suspense? ...iunno). And by rarely, I mean I've probably read like two, tops... orz And I read so much seinen action manga that it's cringe-worthy, but I got a 0 in action-adventure... I don't understand orz
Seinen does count as Suspense because almost all of the Seinen that I've read so far, (I've read quite a bit on line,) either IS Suspense, or is jam-packed with Suspense elements:
  • chase scenes
  • rescue scenes
  • races against the clock
  • hunting for someone dangerous
  • being hunted by someone dangerous
  • hiding from someone dangerous
  • out-smarting someone dangerous
  • fighting hand to hand, or 'handgun to handgun' with someone dangerous
These are all elements used in Suspense.

Most stories with Detectives, Cops, and Criminals, but especially stories with a strong Mystery element to it, are Suspense.

True Mystery focuses on problem solving. "Who-dun-it?" Suspense focuses on Character solving; facing personal issues and either conquering them, or dying from them.
lemonscent wrote:...Apparently I'm better at writing villains than heroes. Yeah, that's just great. OTL Q____Q
If you enjoy Seinen stories, I'm not at all surprised. Seinen stories, and Suspense specialize in Villains. In fact, people that write such stories, (and I personally know a few,) usually create the Villain of their story before they create the Hero/ine that will face them.

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#193 Post by Rainbow Colors »

Gothic: 1
Romance: 1
Historical: 0
Sci. Fi.: 1
Literature: 6
Erotica: 1
Fantasy: 0
Horror: 0
Suspense: 1
Mystery: 0
Comedy: 2
Action Adventure: 2
Children's Lit.: 0

Drama: 2
Characterization: 5
Description: 0
Plotting: Modest
Premise: Weak
World Building: Modest
Novelty: VeryStrong
Male Lead: Strong
Female Lead: Respectable
Villain: Modest.

Ahahaha, I find my score on the description very accurate. I hate having to describe tons of stuff. ;__; My scores on the different genres seem horrible. Er, any interpretation, please?

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#194 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Rainbow Colors wrote:Gothic:
Literature: 6
Characterization: 5
Novelty: VeryStrong
Male Lead: Strong
Female Lead: Respectable

Ahahaha, I find my score on the description very accurate. I hate having to describe tons of stuff. ;__; My scores on the different genres seem horrible. Er, any interpretation, please?
From the looks of this, it appears that rather than having "a story to tell," you have "something to say." You're probably quite good at poetry.

Description is a tool writers use to paint pictures; movies that people watch in their imaginations. If you're not comfortable describing "things", what are you describing with your writing? Because that's what writing does -- it puts into words what the author 'perceives,' even if it isn't a physical object. Unlike a painting or a photo, words can describe things that have no physical form, such as; sounds, and scents, but most importantly; feelings. And in exquisite detail, without ever needing to resort to symbolic replacement. That's when one uses something to represent what one is trying to express.

Think: what are you using the tool of language to do? What are you trying to accomplish with your writing? My guess would be that you're using language to express Emotions and Feelings, things that have no physical form, not events and actions, which do. That's Poetry.

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#195 Post by lemonscent »

Oh. That explains a lot. xD Lol the list of your suspense scenes surprised me. I thought
  • chase scenes ---> action
  • rescue scenes ---> action, potentially adventure
  • hunting for someone dangerous ---> potentially action/adventure
  • being hunted by someone dangerous ---> ditto
  • hiding from someone dangerous ---> ditto
  • fighting hand to hand, or 'handgun to handgun' with someone dangerous ---> definitely action
But apparently I have the genres all mixed up. Q~Q;;

[EDIT]: Well anyway, this quiz was really fun:) [totally forgot to say this earlier] I'm going to try writing suspense sometime, although I have no idea how that's going to work out. x]
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)