Some rough sketches

Art threads specific to a single artist.
deviltales
Regular

Some rough sketches

#1 Post by deviltales »

Hey :) ! Here I am again with some of my art, only this time with faces and slightly cell-shaded :D !
What I am interested is If I caught the light-source - which is front light - correctly and if there are major anatomical mistakes.
p.s: If the colors are weird, I apologize. Currently my screen does not display the color purple, green and yellow.
Attachments
Cameron.jpg
Charlie.jpg
Eric.jpg
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Some rough sketches

#2 Post by chocojax »

- Cameron
Light:
1) Since the light is frontal, the nose shadow should be differently positioned. Maybe around the dip between the eyebrows/eyes/nose bridge?
2) Because front light, his shirt seems strange. There should probably only be a dark shadow around the curve of his shoulders.
3) There would be a shadow underneath his necklace, but it shouldn't be a single straight line, since it makes his upper chest seem flat-ish, or strange. Think about what surfaces touch the string (no shadow/little shadow), and what surfaces don't and how far away they would be. As an example, think about his collarbone! Or, a single hill with a very long string hovering over it. How would you draw a shadow for that?
Anatomy:
1) His right eye is smaller compared to his left. When at a 3/4th view, the eye just sorta curves around to the side of the face, or just shrinks width-wise. Look in the mirror and observe the farther eye!
2) His collarbone is too much to the side. Charlie's seems to be more correctly positioned.
- Charlie
Light:
1) The way her hair is shaded makes it seem flat. Rather than just shading hair as lines, try to shade them as a smooth surface, like her face! It might help force you to think of hair as a shape too, and to make it more dimensional.
Anatomy:
1) I-I know women's necks curve around that point, but I don't think they have pronounced Adam's apples?
- Eric
Anatomy:
1) The eyes are too high up. Look at Charlie's and Cameron's faces--their eyes are around the halfway point of their skull, although Eric's isn't.

(Sorry, I don't have a functioning tablet at the moment, so I can't help you too much. Hope you manage to pull out a tip or two from my words.)

deviltales
Regular

#3 Post by deviltales »

thank you very much :D !
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

I like the way you did Eric's hair and I love his expression.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

deviltales
Regular

#5 Post by deviltales »

SusanTheCat wrote:I like the way you did Eric's hair and I love his expression.

Susan
Thank you. Eric is a man of few words, and he preffers to deal alone with his problems. He is part of a project I'll hope to announce soon...

Made another one, this time one-side light - from the left. His name is Hank :)
Attachments
Haaank.jpg