Sunrider [Out of date]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Sunrider [Sci-Fi][Mecha][BxG][Bishojo][Space][Free]

#46 Post by Samu-kun »

The BETA of Episode 0.5 is now available.

What does the beta contain?
  • The stunning beginning of Sunrider
  • Renpy, being pushed to the limits
  • Cutting edge special effects
  • Meet Ava, your First Officer and your old childhood friend
  • A new standard for free visual novels
Anything beyond that would be spoiling. =w=
screenshot0023.jpg
screenshot0027.png
Oh... and oops, what is this? A special omake!? *jaw drops*
swimsuitwat.jpg
This is the BETA version of Episode 0.5.
If you encounter any bugs, please leave them in this thread. In fact, try to mess around with the game a bit and try to make it bug so that the final version is stable. =w=

Download TORRENT
Download DIRECT [129 mb]
Last edited by Samu-kun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Re: Sunrider [Sci-Fi][Mecha][BxG][Bishojo][Free] < FIRST BET

#47 Post by Graph »

How big is the download, anyway? This might be the first time I've seen a project that's torrent-only on this forum.

Jason
Regular
Completed: Sierra Ops Episode 1 and 2, Rising Angels: Reborn (Some CGs)
Projects: Sierra Ops, Muv-Luv Kickstarter
Organization: Innomen Team

#48 Post by Jason »

Awesome, downloading now! (will help seeding too :) )
Innomen Team Presents: Sierra Ops

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#49 Post by Samu-kun »

Graph wrote:How big is the download, anyway? This might be the first time I've seen a project that's torrent-only on this forum.
So actually the torrent's kind of a stop gap measure before I get a more reliable host... The size is 129 mb.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Sunrider [Sci-Fi][Mecha][BxG][Bishojo][Space][Free]

#50 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Samu-kun wrote:The BETA of Episode 0.5 is now available.

What does the beta contain?
  • The stunning beginning of Sunrider
  • Renpy, being pushed to the limits
  • Cutting edge special effects
  • Meet Ava, your First Officer and your old childhood friend
  • A new standard for free visual novels
Anything beyond that would be spoiling. =w=
I loved it. The animations and sound effects were very well done, and really enhanced the mood. And it contains my favorite line from all space operas ever:
"Captain, we're picking up multiple warp signatures!" It's like the dinner bell of space combat.
If I may make one critique, regarding the writing. The opening scene before the captain appears seems to have excessive info dumping. Honestly, too many organizations, groups, names, and political details where being discussed for me to get a grasp on, with the major problem being I don't have a reason to care enough to grasp them yet. All that stuff can be introduced naturally in dialogue as it comes up, just as the term for mechs, i.e. Ryders, was introduced without beating us over the head with details.

Take a look at the original Star Wars opening scrawl for giving just enough info to set the stage. After your line about humans spreading across the galaxy, you could have something like, "It is a time of uncertainty amongst the galactic powers. PACT, an alliance of many worlds, has begun annexing neutral planets by military force. Cera, a neutral planet in the path of expansion, is today launching a new flagship to defend itself from this growing threat ...."

Still, loved the rest of everything. I'm definitely looking forward to playing more.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#51 Post by SHiNKiROU »

Another space science fiction VN. Followed.

Graph
Veteran

#52 Post by Graph »

I gave the beta a shot, and I have to say, it may very well live up to your lofty goals for the game! My favorite parts are probably your background and ship rendering, as well as the GUI for ship navigation and battle. It really makes a great atmosphere!

I thought the overlay that was used in the battle backgrounds was pretty distracting though. It looks really pixelated or artifacted compared to everything else. It's seen in screenshots 27 and 29 of this topic, for example. Did you have to use a small image for it due to performance issues?

I also wonder if it would help to turn up the contrast on character sprites, since the backgrounds have very full shading and it often felt to me like Ava didn't have much presence in comparison. It might be partly because of her more subdued color palette compared to the others.

But it's kind of interesting since this is one of the few VNs I've seen that puts so much effort into setting the scene, that it almost feels like a waste because the story is being 'sold' as something very character-driven, with the morality system and all. Maybe it really will have everything when it's completed though. I'd love to see how it turns out!

Jason
Regular
Completed: Sierra Ops Episode 1 and 2, Rising Angels: Reborn (Some CGs)
Projects: Sierra Ops, Muv-Luv Kickstarter
Organization: Innomen Team

#53 Post by Jason »

I played the game a few moments ago, and I have to say that your battle system's sweet!
I want to suggest hex with nodes is a more preferable UI for it rather than the card deck style...
But that's just my "opinion". (chessboard can work too)

As for the story, I trust you that you know what you're doing and I shouldn't judge until I get to the climax,
but I just have to note the excessive amount of terms that the players need to absorb at the beginning.

Maybe displaying the flags of each faction and their respective color would help?

Lastly, I love the music, but the epic music should be used sparingly, I can't help but feel a bit of overuse and it started loosing its impact halfway.

As a free game this certainly looks top notch and I admire the efforts you've invested so far in the project.

As for technical issues, I think the characters have this really crisp pixelated edges, I'm not sure if I'm the only one encountering it, because they look smooth in your screenshots. I tried switching to full screen/windowed /restarting the game and still has it.

Overall for a 0.5 beta version, it's 5/5 for me :) !
Innomen Team Presents: Sierra Ops

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by philip »

@Samu-kun-

I tried to download, but was told that my Safari browser is "too old" and not able to download a file this large. Rubbish! I then tried Firefox and was told that I had to first download a Mega extension. I am not about to download an unknown extension to my computer just to be able to view your beta. Sorry, but I guess I will not be able to view your story - you should investigate a download host that is friendly to Mac users.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#55 Post by netravelr »

Played, really liked. First off, the game crashed the first time I played it, but after closing it and opening again it worked fine.

Just long enough to get me really excited. Battle system worked well, but I really think clicking on the icon for the ship would be a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion. (If you need help coding it, let me know)

Excited to see what happens next! Any chance we can donate to the project?

Thanks!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#56 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

netravelr wrote:Battle system worked well, but I really think clicking on the icon for the ship would be a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion.
Ah, yeah. I forgot to mention this too. On the battle screen, when Ava told me to "Select the Sunrider", I kept clicking on the icon of the ship, and thought it wasn't working. It took me a few moments to see the commands at the bottom against the dark background. If you have the time and knowledge, it would be more preferable to click on icons to select things in battle.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#57 Post by Samu-kun »

If I may make one critique, regarding the writing. The opening scene before the captain appears seems to have excessive info dumping. Honestly, too many organizations, groups, names, and political details where being discussed for me to get a grasp on, with the major problem being I don't have a reason to care enough to grasp them yet. All that stuff can be introduced naturally in dialogue as it comes up, just as the term for mechs, i.e. Ryders, was introduced without beating us over the head with details.

Take a look at the original Star Wars opening scrawl for giving just enough info to set the stage. After your line about humans spreading across the galaxy, you could have something like, "It is a time of uncertainty amongst the galactic powers. PACT, an alliance of many worlds, has begun annexing neutral planets by military force. Cera, a neutral planet in the path of expansion, is today launching a new flagship to defend itself from this growing threat ...."
but I just have to note the excessive amount of terms that the players need to absorb at the beginning.

Maybe displaying the flags of each faction and their respective color would help?
So I guess this means I have to redo the intro huh... (Will be changed)
I thought the overlay that was used in the battle backgrounds was pretty distracting though. It looks really pixelated or artifacted compared to everything else. It's seen in screenshots 27 and 29 of this topic, for example. Did you have to use a small image for it due to performance issues?
This will be more difficult to fix. That is a high quality .jpg, but computers just aren't capable of displaying enough colors to create a smooth gradient for the background. The only way to fix it would be to up the contract and redraw, but I don't know how that'll look yet.
I also wonder if it would help to turn up the contrast on character sprites, since the backgrounds have very full shading and it often felt to me like Ava didn't have much presence in comparison. It might be partly because of her more subdued color palette compared to the others.
The contrast on the characters has been a problem. What you see in the demo is what we have after the artist re-shaded all the art in the game because the sprites before it had even less contrast. (Compare Ava in the screenshot in the first page of this topic to Ava in the demo to see the difference.) I don't think I can commit more hours to fixing the contrast, since we've already committed so much work to that. (aka, I think the artist has better things to be doing and will have my head if I make her fix these more)
But it's kind of interesting since this is one of the few VNs I've seen that puts so much effort into setting the scene, that it almost feels like a waste because the story is being 'sold' as something very character-driven, with the morality system and all. Maybe it really will have everything when it's completed though. I'd love to see how it turns out!
The morality system is not in the demo, and only one of the seven girls has been introduced, so there's quite a lot of story content which is missing - which should now be in production!
As for technical issues, I think the characters have this really crisp pixelated edges, I'm not sure if I'm the only one encountering it, because they look smooth in your screenshots. I tried switching to full screen/windowed /restarting the game and still has it.
That is a technical problem with renpy. All the character sprites are very large and have been scaled down in game by renpy in the demo. The over sized character sprites are necessary to seamlessly zoom into the character sprites. The edges seem to occur whenever renpy scales down a large transparent png though, so there's not much I can do about that.
I tried to download, but was told that my Safari browser is "too old" and not able to download a file this large. Rubbish! I then tried Firefox and was told that I had to first download a Mega extension. I am not about to download an unknown extension to my computer just to be able to view your beta. Sorry, but I guess I will not be able to view your story - you should investigate a download host that is friendly to Mac users.
Mega does not support Safari. A better host will come when I can afford one. ._.
Just long enough to get me really excited. Battle system worked well, but I really think clicking on the icon for the ship would be a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion. (If you need help coding it, let me know)
Ah, yeah. I forgot to mention this too. On the battle screen, when Ava told me to "Select the Sunrider", I kept clicking on the icon of the ship, and thought it wasn't working. It took me a few moments to see the commands at the bottom against the dark background. If you have the time and knowledge, it would be more preferable to click on icons to select things in battle.
A more graphical and informative battle UI will probably be the next thing I work on...
Any chance we can donate to the project?
Not yet. ;) Do we happen to have random rich people on Lemmasoft seeking to save some money by entering a lower tax bracket?

Graph
Veteran

#58 Post by Graph »

This will be more difficult to fix. That is a high quality .jpg, but computers just aren't capable of displaying enough colors to create a smooth gradient for the background. The only way to fix it would be to up the contract and redraw, but I don't know how that'll look yet.
Working with darker colors can be tricky, indeed. But I think maybe the reason it stood out to me in the first place is because the stars are moving but the background is not. One idea may be to make a dim starry field in the background along with the stars that you already have moving along. The reason this issue doesn't come up in the other space backgrounds is because the stars create points of contrast, which break up the big ol' gradient that usually stretches across the screen in those sorts of scenes.

I've been trying to find ways around the gradient issue myself lately, too. It hounds me whenever I try to make a soft contrast in the background. I've had varying levels of success using a light noise filter to break up the boundaries between colors, though this may be more specific to the way the gradient tool in PhotoShop works.

Golden.Fleece
Regular
Projects: Maienzauber
Organization: Golden Fleece Creative Productions

#59 Post by Golden.Fleece »

WOW, here's a thumb's up for something different! I look forward for the end result and play them...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#60 Post by LVUER »

I've tried it and man, it was very awesome. You really raised the standard of free VN. If you can keep up the quality for the entire game, SunRider is even more than enough to be a commercial game.

The battle system is like the evolved and more refined Platinum Game's Infinite Space, one of my favorite sci-fi space combat RPG. I wish IS was as deep as SunRider's battle system ;P

Now I can't wait for the full version, hohoho... I wonder how much customization can we do since I see R&D dept. inside SunRider. Will we also be able to customize the SunRider itself?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW