Chat on this site

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
dretchlord
Regular
Projects: Stabbed by Memories (Yandere)

Chat on this site

#1 Post by dretchlord »

I was wondering, or probably there already is, is there a way to direct chat with someone than using a pm(private message)? I think if your friend is online it would be nice to chat with them than to send a pm. Or is it that there is a chat and I don't know about it. Sorry just recently joined this site a few weeks ago. Also I'm wondering if there is a group chat :D

Further detail, I don't refer to an IRC chat but rather website built chat. :D

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Chat on this site

#2 Post by Tempus »

Nope, there isn't. You can either PM them, ask for there email / Skype / whatever over PM and talk to them on that, or visit the #renpy channel. Quite a few people from LSF hang out in #renpy.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#3 Post by xavimat »

Sorry for my ignorance but, what would be the difference between the current IRC channel and the website built chat you ask?

As Tempus has said, some of us meet usually at the #renpy channel.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

dretchlord
Regular
Projects: Stabbed by Memories (Yandere)

#4 Post by dretchlord »

That so :D I thought it would be nice if people could just chat right away than connecting to an irc client/site then typing a channel. :lol:

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#5 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

People aren't going to be replying right away anyway, so the few seconds to type /j renpy shouldn't make much difference.

Plus, once you get to know us you'll want to auto-join anyway.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xavimat »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Plus, once you get to know us you'll want to auto-join anyway.
+1 !

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SusanTheCat »

My sadness is that work blocks irc. :(

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I had wondered why we hadn't had the pleasure of your company lately.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

Every time I go to the #renpy IRC I can feel this subtle hostile atmosphere so I try and minimize my time there as much as I can and only go there for "extremely important" reasons and leave ASAP...

Mental Image everytime I visit the #renpy IRC channel
Sorry, I just had to say this and at least serve as a warning to others who still have their internet innocence intact that the real time nature of IRC (not just Renpy's) is not always Rainbow and Flowers and must tread with caution. Think of it as some Dark Alley situated between tall buildings where suspicious shady people hang in there offering you everything from Weed to Cough Syrup to Smuggled Gummi Bears... also jerks... yes, even though it's mostly quiet in there most of the time, weird things can and has happened in #renpy IRC... you have been warned

"POOF" (Disappears)

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by SusanTheCat »

mugenjohncel wrote: Think of it as some Dark Alley situated between tall buildings where suspicious shady people hang in there offering you everything from Weed to Cough Syrup to Smuggled Gummi Bears... also jerks... yes, even though it's mostly quiet in there most of the time, weird things can and has happened in #renpy IRC... you have been warned
I always pictured it as a smelly locker room where you mind your own business and don't butt in to other people's conversations because you can never be quite sure what they are talking about. :roll:

jk I've found the IRC chat room very helpful and friendly. Mind you, I am comparing this to IRC 20 years ago when I couldn't spend 30 second in a chat room without someone asking me my ... ahem... preferences.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

It's not nearly that bad. Especially if people stick around a while.

There have been some people who log in drop a question and log out within the same minute. To them we may seem rude, but the nature of IRC is that people are probably doing something else at the same time.

I'm not referring to you (Mugen) in particular because I know you've been sticking around longer to chat lately, but I wouldn't want any new people to mistakenly think we are ignoring them when we aren't.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by xavimat »

I'm quite new in the #renpy channel and don't know what bad experiences had Mugen in the past.
But my current experience is really good. I ask if I have a doubt and usually get an answer, I try to anwer the questions if I can and usually mess it all sometimes my answer helps.
Simple as that. :)

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#13 Post by Ferdokki »

Agreeing with dretchlord, I would really like to have a in-chat thing for this site. I was kinda disappointed that there isn't one.
I prefer a chat to an IRC because in the chat, I can be specific to who is included in my conversation. IRC's are too public; I can't discuss game-specific stuff with the specific developer I'm working with because it's not a private conversation.

Sending PMs is not the same thing, because that's still pretty much like email.

I just think a chat option would be helpful for this site. I mean, we have a list in our User Control Panel of "friends" who are online or offline. What's the point of that if the only thing I can do is message them via PM and wait for their PMs back?

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#14 Post by Tempus »

Ferdokki wrote:I prefer a chat to an IRC because in the chat, I can be specific to who is included in my conversation. IRC's are too public; I can't discuss game-specific stuff with the specific developer I'm working with because it's not a private conversation. Sending PMs is not the same thing, because that's still pretty much like email.
On the sites I've been to that have an integrated chat, everyone registered on the site can use it. They aren't particularly private. If you already have specific people who you want in a real time conversation, you can invite them to a channel on IRC or to a chat on Skype. You can also message specific people in #renpy privately while in the channel using /msg [their nick] [message]. At least I think that's the syntax. Or you can just speak to them on IRC independently of a channel too.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

Just for the record, I have no plans to add chat to this site.

One of the nice things about IRC is that the fine people at freenode run the servers for us, which means that I don't have to bother configuring anything. That's nice, since it means I can spend more time on my own projects, like Ren'Py.

IRC allows you to register a channel and make it private or invite-only, as well. (I'm not sure such channels would be suitable for freenode, but there are other networks than freenode out there.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom