The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
lenore<3
Projects: Alice
IRC Nick: lenore:3

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#46 Post by lenore<3 »

I recently reread National Velvet. Oh it brings back so many sweet childhood memories. It's about horses, which is why I read it all those years ago.
It's about a girl who dreams of horses and at first wants to win a gymkhana (a horse show). Soon she sets her sights on The Grand National, which is the biggest deal jump race in Europe (i.e.: money). Of course, she's underage and a girl, and girls aren't allowed to participate. Doesn't stop her, of course.

Then I reread E.M. Forster's A Room With a View. It's a classic, really, and I do appreciate how optimistic it is in comparison with most of Forster's other works.
Though it's social criticism, A Room With a View is so utterly romantic and beautifully written that the tiny font size and the rather old-fashioned writing style didn't keep me from enjoying it.
(and yes, that's why I love Jane Austen, especially Emma)
Here's one of my favorite passages:
"'Eccolo!' he exclaimed.
At the same moment the ground gave way, and with a cry she fell out of the wood. Light and beauty enveloped her. She had fallen on to a little open terrace, which was covered with violets from end to end.
'Courage!' cried her companion, now standing some six feet above. 'Courage and love.'
She did not answer. From her feet the ground sloped sharply into view, and violets ran down in rivulets and streams and cataracts, irrigating the hillside with blue, eddying round the tree stems collecting into pools in the hollows, covering the grass with spots of azure foam. But never again were they in such profusion; this terrace was the well-head, the primal source whence beauty gushed out to water the earth.
Standing at its brink, like a swimmer who prepares, was the good man. But he was not the good man that she had expected, and he was alone.
George had turned at the sound of her arrival. For a moment he contemplated her, as one who had fallen out of heaven. He saw radiant joy in her face, he saw the flowers beat against her dress in blue waves. The bushes above them closed. He stepped quickly forward and kissed her."

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#47 Post by feathersnake »

I re-read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and its sequel. I'm addicted to this series. I was actually hoping to postpone my re-read until the final book comes out, but I couldn't wait any longer. ><
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#48 Post by Morhighan »

I'm reading The Color of Magic at this moment. It's a wonderful book, I've been laughing the whole time. Also, Good Omens.

Zootower
Regular

#49 Post by Zootower »

Recently finished Robert Bolt's A Man For All Seasons, and in addition to being fantastic, it's also really asking for a Japanese-high-school adaptation. Might be a concept I run with later on.

peapodprincess
Regular

#50 Post by peapodprincess »

I've been on a multiple point-of-view character kick lately, so I've been digging into A Song of Ice and Fire (up to the beginning of Storm of Swords now) and re-reading one of my favorite series from my childhood - a little four book wonder by Johnathan Stroud known as The Bartimaeus Sequence.

Reading it again now, I can see where some of my preferences for fantasy novels have come in - snarky meta footnotes, an egotistical point-of-view character contrasting a slightly more downplayed one, and just a really lovely sense of fun dark humor.

Other than that, I've also been voraciously devouring anything associated with Neil Gaiman. It's getting to the point that I absently write out quotes from American Gods or Neverwhere whenever I get too tired around a pen.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#51 Post by Morhighan »

Python for Informatics: Exploring Information for my online course. :3 The book is totally free.

Dreamtigers

#52 Post by Dreamtigers »

Ah, Sir Terry. Haven't we all needed The Luggage on a trip or two?

"Half suitcase, half homicidal maniac"

Several people were reading Poe or Lovecraft, or spectral stories like "The Turn of the Screw." If I might recommend some semi-recent reads:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1961 ... magination

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3520 ... er_Stories

Haven't read the Dresden Files, but as I'm inclined to trust Taleweaver's sense of story, I'll have to check them out.

My current read is Love in a Fallen City. Eileen Chang evokes the world of postwar Hong Kong and Shanghai with heady, sensual details. She kind of reminds me of Colette. Also: awesome title.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#53 Post by Alte »

I'm currently reading Kwaidan Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Dreamtigers

#54 Post by Dreamtigers »

Ah, I was just thinking I should have added Kwaidan to the list of recommendations in my previous post! You might also check out the 1964 film of the same title, if you haven't already: http://www.amazon.com/Kwaidan-Criterion ... B00004W3HF. I can almost guarantee you won't be able to erase the images from your memory. ::shivers::

Thanks to lenore<3 for suggesting A Room with a View, which is my current read.

AoyamaReika
Completed: boy, Cafe Memoria, EVOLVEd : Echoes of the Codex War, To Kill A Black Swan
Projects: Lucid9, Mohanad and Kim, One Night Of [Snow], When the Bells Toll
Organization: Fallen Snow Studios, PaperDoor Studios
IRC Nick: Reika_K
Tumblr: wreckless-reika
Deviantart: aoyamareika
Github: aoyamareika
Soundcloud: ai-reika-k

#55 Post by AoyamaReika »

I'm reading 14,000 Things to be Happy About by Barbara Ann Kipfer.

Hachiko
Regular

#56 Post by Hachiko »

Necroposting. :)

Few weeks ago when my internet was down, I decided to read a book my sister bought..."To Kill A Mockingbird". I know it's a classic and probably a must-read in most schools but it's not in where I live, and boy am I glad to read it. Aside from its emphasis on race discrimination, what I loved most was the innocence and humor (especially that part when Jem and Scout wanted to put some dirt to build a snowman and Scout said, " But I ain't seen a n*gger snowman before Jem!" that was just funny haha)

Kensela
Regular

#57 Post by Kensela »

....does fanfiction count?

lol I honestly can't remember the last book I read that WASN'T a required text book for class

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#58 Post by Rinima »

Jam.
A book about man eating jam.
It's pretty damn funny.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#59 Post by Caveat Lector »

In the middle of "The Curious Case of Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde". Intriguing, but I get the feeling Robert Louis Stevenson was getting paid by the word.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Leon296
Completed: just wait....
Projects: title's not finalized yet.
Organization: nah
IRC Nick: Leon

#60 Post by Leon296 »

Three graves full ^^