filtered background photos

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Free Time Machine
Regular

filtered background photos

#1 Post by Free Time Machine »

My game has to be finished within the next four days or it won't count as an anniversary present! If only I had the time, I would lovingly hand-craft every single bg in the game. But since this is not the case, they might as well all be filtered photos (for the sake of uniformity).

Now, advice, please: I use Photoshop. What's a good filtering method to get consistently decent quality bgs? I'd like everything to kind of visually... go together, if that's at all possible. If it helps, here's the first finished sprite (unless you count still having wince-worthy errors as unfinished).
Attachments
example.png
"HOLD ON TIGHT" ~ Outfits and expressions, where art thou? And why does Elsa's face look so awful??? *bangs head in*

Everytime you delete a traceback, someone else gets it. -PyTom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: filtered background photos

#2 Post by DaFool »

Looking nice.

It is a fairly detailed but soft sprite style, so perhaps you can take a look at Starlit Sky and try to copy the filtering system there... I think it was similar to Higurashi style... a series of Gaussian Blurs and trace outlines perhaps? I forget off the top of my head.

But then again, unfiltered BGs might work as well.

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#3 Post by rocket »

Have you tried Filters>Artisitc Effetcs?

Paint Daubs and Smudge Stick are pretty good for paint-ifying photos.

uluuu
Regular
Projects: Half Past Never

#4 Post by uluuu »

Usually a mix of softglow (glow radius in the negatives somewhere) and gaussian blurs works for me. Then again, I haven't finished a game yet so I'm not sure if it looks good to anyone other than myself.
Attachments
selenemock.png