Payment Processing: Tips and Advice Requested

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Payment Processing: Tips and Advice Requested

#1 Post by Obscura »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any words of wisdom from devs here with regards to vendors and/or payment processors for a commercial VN. I've looked at/signed up for a couple of different services, and though I'm strongly leaning towards BMT Micro (due to the fact I have such a high percentage of European customers), I'm wondering if there are any last minute things I should know about the tremendously fun stuff that is payment processing.

Facts about my game which are probably relevant:
- Erotic, with penis (meaning it's banninated from Steam and most other gaming portals and Paypal is a no go.)
- Most of my audience aren't really visual novel players per se. To clarify...most of the players who find COOT are actually finding it via gay-themed websites or gay-erotic blogs/sites/tumblrs.
- It doesn't have Japanese style art so I don't think it would do well on places like mangagamer
- I was considering gumroad but they do not like adult content, so I've heard.

Any sage words of advice or warnings are appreciated. This game is in a very odd, platypus-like category, but hey, life of a visual novel maker.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Payment Processing: Tips and Advice Requested

#2 Post by jack_norton »

Using BMT is a good move IMHO, is the same one I use.
It gives you the non-trivial advantage of being able to accept affiliates for your games. I think just my site could bring you several sales since I have some yaoi fans already thanks to Loren :)

I don't have any particular advices on the vendor itself, I suppose you use fullversion download, so BMT already provides a way to resend the game to people who lost the email with download links (it always happens!!).

I have advice on the site instead. You never know what's going to happen, maybe your site will receive 10 visits, but maybe 1000 at once in the same hour. Use a CDN for the images and also for downloads since downloads slowdown a server a lot. I'm assuming you have a game demo of course - if you don't have it, then is another thing :)

Well that's it, good luck with it! I'm doing a yaoi-exclusive dating sim as well (albeit not so erotic :D) and I'm curious to see how yours will do.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Obscura »

Thank you so much for the advice, Jack! I don't think I'll be using a vendor at the moment. With a game that appeals to 5% of the gaming population at most (and that's an insanely hopeful estimate), I figure it's probably just better to hunt out the audience on my own. ^^

All of your tips are plenty appreciated. Thanks much! I'm sure I'll have more questions closer to December.
website

planktheory
Regular
itch: mykanthrope

#4 Post by planktheory »

It seems Patreon might be a worthwhile look. This other visual novel is being made also with RenPy and is geared toward the Furry Audience.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... te#p341301

The lady doing Oh Joy Sex Toy comic is another that allows for adult themed patronage.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Obscura »

Thank you for the tip, I'll check it out!
website