Image size

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
n9261andvari
Regular
Location: Otherside of the world, when you sleep I'm awake...

Image size

#1 Post by n9261andvari »

Hello! Hisashiburi desu ne?
Anyways my life feel a little calmer now that the Japanese speech contest is over. I didn't win anything but at least I got a certificate of participation and a cute lil trophy and a furigana dictionary!
*ahem*
Anyways I have a question concerning image sizes...well, I was testing out some of the Ren'Py controls and I wanted to put a lil pic of the character on the left side of the dialog box. So I didn't temper with the original image of my art and when it appeared it took half of the screen! ((Alyssia was so huge!!!)) SO I was wondering...what's the right size of the image on the left side of the dialog box be? How many pixels by how many pixels? That goes for the size of the character image that will appear on the center of the screen as well. I don't really want to know the exact size ((unless there's a rule about it)) but I'd like it if people suggested me some variations so I can try out and test which size is suited for my artwork and stuff. Whelps...thank you very much for reading this and any answer would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Image size

#2 Post by monele »

50x50...100x100 maybe for the thumbnail?
And something within 800x600 for the big characters (assuming you're using the default resolution). Basically, 400x500 would work well. For big characters, it doesn't have to be *exact* anyway since it'll always center it and stick it on the bottom.
And for thumbnails, I'm pretty sure you can configure the space you need... but I guess you just want to adapt to the system rather than the other way around :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Image size

#3 Post by DaFool »

225 x 300 if I remember correctly, would make a really big side-image character. (I actually used 225 x 600 for blank space on top since Compositing disrupts the image registrations) So if you want yours to fit into the textbox, make it smaller and adjust the indentation in the Character declaration accordingly.