Little Mauve Riding Hood [revisited tale][comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
bosinpai
Regular

Little Mauve Riding Hood [revisited tale][comedy]

#1 Post by bosinpai »

Le Petit Chaperon Mauve - Little Mauve Riding Hood

We're working on retelling the Little Red Riding Hood tale, on a modern set, and with no intent whatsoever to stick to the original ;)

The characters:
  • Mo' - also known as Little Mauve Riding Hood, before her angsty teens decided otherwise
  • Wolf - the Bad Guy, but without forest, what kind of traps will he use?
  • Granny - it's difficult to predict her mood nowadays, but she's an all-round good gal; currently ill
Teaser mock-ups:
mauve2.png
mauve.png
We aim at a "cartoon" style with emphasis on traditional drawing.

Progress:
  • Story: 90% (1200 words, French version done, English translation done, proofreading in progress)
  • GUI / title screen: 10% (should we make a customized GUI? Mock title screen and Android icons in place)
  • Characters: 80% (3) (3 characters designed, missing expressions underway)
  • Backgrounds: 100% (6)
  • Ending pics: 20% (first drafts)
  • Music / sound effects: 70% (2 original songs, 2 classical pieces, 2 more needed; sound effects picked)
Team: it's a friendly team with Lady and Pierre mainly working on character graphics, and I mainly working on anything else, but we don't have strict roles.

This all started with a "Let's try and finish a Ren'Py game", so we're explicitely aiming at something short - and it's taking way longer than expected already ;)
Do you feel like playing it?
What kind of standard do you expect for a first VN?
Do you like this not-so-common graphic style?

EDIT 2015-03-16: updated progress
Attachments
chaperon_mauve-banner.png
chaperon_mauve-banner.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Last edited by bosinpai on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Little Mauve Riding Hood [revisited tale][comedy]

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

Hey, just wanted to say this preview looks cool!

I am always a fan of more cartoonish games and art styles, so yes, this is something I'd play.

GUI probably is less important for a short first VN, unless you want to practice GUI for more ambitious projects. Personally, GUI is at the bottom of things I consider as a player, especially if the writing is effective, but others may feel differently, especially if your goal is commercial projects.

As for what "standard" to expect from a first VN, I think that depends on your goals. The most common advice I see is that it should be something you feel good about releasing. It's good to post things and get feedback, but you don't want to rush and release something while it still has bugs or typos.

Good luck!

Image Image

bosinpai
Regular

#3 Post by bosinpai »

Thanks for your feedback YassarianIII !

We clearly aim at non-commercial / amateur release, and I sometimes press the others not to worry TOO much about the quality so we can actually release something :)
(considering that a release of medium quality right now is still way better than a high quality release in 10 years ;))
However we certainly have quality standards, and in particular bugs and typo should be eradicated :)

I think we'll press until we reach releasable state, then have a discussion about what we're OK with, and what we definitely need to modify/redo even if this postpone the release some more.

bosinpai
Regular

#4 Post by bosinpai »

Updated the progress - hopefully we can release before the NaNoRenO rush :?

More backgrounds, characters, music, sound effects, English translation... This is taking shape :D

On the teamwork side, gotta keep everybody focused on finishing the game rather than redo everything every other week ;)

bosinpai
Regular

#5 Post by bosinpai »

And released!
Hope you'll like it :)
@Hazel-Bun: sorry, I didn't got the time/energy to do a custom GUI in the end ;)