Ren'Py on Nintendo Wii U

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

Ren'Py on Nintendo Wii U

#1 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Hi all,

Been using Ren'Py for a while now, and have recently started developing for the Wii U. Unfortunately it's not particularly Python friendly, and really only accepts HTML5, Javascript and games made in Unity.

Is there any way to port finished Ren'Py code to Javascript, or anything else that would work at all? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, programming was never my strong point. Unity and Fungus isn't an option due to version incompatibility, but I'd love some general pointers of if this is even possible if I get some help on the Javascript or HTML5 side of things.

Thanks,

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py on Nintendo Wii U

#2 Post by xela »

Not really, couple of Google searches claim partial success with pygame/sdl on Wii but all attempts are very limited and incomplete. Porting to Javascript is prolly not an option because there is no Java implementation of Ren'Py so you'd have to be able to launch run Ren'Pys code somehow.

Honestly, I would not even know where to begin with this other than simply starting recoding the game in a new framework. Ren'Py script files are fairly basic, so if the game is not heavy on python/ATL, you can prolly read/convert them to use in any engine without too much fuss.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

Re: Ren'Py on Nintendo Wii U

#3 Post by uyjulian »

Looking at the leaked Wii U SDK, I think it's possible to port SDL to the Wii U easily, since GX2 functions are basically OpenGL functions.

But that's the hard option.

It would be much easier to just port the game to a different framework, as xela said.