Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB fluff]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB fluff]

#1 Post by Dreamgazer »

It's been released! View the completed thread here.
Enjoy it and let us know what you think.
Story:
You wake up in a room.

Four white walls. Four strangers. Countless weapons around you. No food or water in sight.

Why are you here? More importantly, how do you escape?

Features:
-Hundreds of Choices. You can play as a male or a female. As of this update, there are over 500 choices, both genders combined. You decide your personality. Be heroic or villainous, confident or shy, naughty or nice.
-Dynamic Characters. Each person has a story. Just how much you learn depends on your interaction with them. They will respond to each of your actions accordingly.
-A Variety of Endings. There are dozens of ways to die and dozens of ways to survive with variations, depending on your previous choices.
-Bonuses. Beat the game and enjoy your fun surprises.

Each playthrough of the Death Room is approximately 1 hour. Depending on the decisions you make, this game can be an action-packed ride or a chilling tale. You make the call.

Your Fellow Roommates:

Dev Hanshin
Cold and menacing, this isn't the kind of man you want to share a room with for long. Maybe looks are deceiving...?
Your GxB Fluff Tip: Let him be your hero! Now, the catch is that you have to make him want to help you.

Ambrosia of the Phoenix
Sweet, pleasant, and surprisingly calm despite waking up in a strange room. She doesn't act like she's from the modern century.
Your BxG Fluff Tip: Be her hero! However, you just might have to dirty your hands to do that.

Evie Olive
She's the kind of everyday girl you see across the street or in your classroom. Peppy and outgoing - that is, when she isn't in a panicking frenzy.
Your BxG Fluff Tip: She's a little bit of a sore loser, so work together with her and keep her happy.

Dominic Eld
Confident, lively, and something of a shameless flirt. He's more of a lover than a fighter...or is he?
Your GxB Fluff Tip: Don't hide your feelings! Come onto him strong.
Development
This is my first official VN project together with my good friend, EdgeofTomorrow, who does the guys' lines. I'm in charge of everything else. We've had this idea for years, and we've been working steadily on this game for a little over a month now.

Art: 100%
Writing: 100%
The Rest: 100%

ImageImage

Questions
1) First impressions? What do you think about the premise, the characters, and the game's style in general? We want to hear your thoughts on everything.

2) This game focuses on suspense and intrigue, with the fluff being more like a treat. But just for fun...if this was a full-blown romance game, who would you pursue?

3) I'm hoping to release this game in time for Halloween. If so, is this the kind of game you would want to playing during that time?

If you have any other questions or comments, please let us know. We're looking to have fun with this, and we're hoping you'll enjoy it as well.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 am, edited 13 times in total.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB fluff

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

1) First impressions? What do you think about the premise and the characters? We want to hear your thoughts on everything.
It sounds interesting! I always find stories where character are contained (like trapped in a room!) sometimes can offer more focus on characters, so I'm looking forward to seeing if that happens in this :)

2) This game focuses on suspense and intrigue, with the fluff being more like a treat. But just for fun...if this was a full-blown romance game, who would you pursue?
Probably Dev. What can I say? I like the dark, broody types :D

3) I'm hoping to release this game in time for Halloween. If so, is this the kind of game you would want to playing during that time?
Definitely, it sounds exactly like the kind of game I would be playing!

-

I'm don't usually go for these types of games (I'm a total scaredy cat!), but with Halloween coming up, I'm definitely on the look out to play them. So, I'm really looking forward to when this is released :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#3 Post by Ran08 »

1) First impressions? What do you think about the premise and the characters? We want to hear your thoughts on everything.

I like the premise! :) It sounds a lot like 999, which I really like, so... yeah, I think I'm gonna like this one too! :) As for the characters, hmm, they seem okay. To be honest, they seem to fit character tropes (the flirt, the calm one, etc.) perfectly-- not that that's a bad thing, of course. At the same time, I feel like they've been given a twist to their personalities... and I hope I'm right. (I actually love tropes and cliches a lot, but I love it even more when there's a twist added to those archtypes.)

DEV HANSHIN IS HOT. Enough said. =) And then I'll probably go for Dominic on my second playthrough. Hahaha. I'm not really a fan of BxG though, so I don't think I'll be trying that one out.

YES, YES, OH YES. <3 I love scary games! Even just creepy, chilly, suspenseful games. Ooooh, I love them. :") I sure do hope you get to release this by Halloween! (fingers crossed)

Oh, just a comment... um, I'm not really the best artist around (oh, who am I kidding? I'm not an artist at all, hahaha) but I think Olive's art is a little too... bland? Dev and Ambrosia are both hot (and I like the shading), Dominic looks okay (though I think the colors look a little too flat) while Olive is just... um. Yeah. I actually know next to nothing about art, haha, so... cheers to you people for the custom sprites! :") Anyway, good luck!

P.S. I really do hope you get to release this soon!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#4 Post by Dreamgazer »

Harliqueen wrote: I'm don't usually go for these types of games (I'm a total scaredy cat!), but with Halloween coming up, I'm definitely on the look out to play them. So, I'm really looking forward to when this is released :D
Hi, Harliqueen! Thanks for the feedback. Rest assured, this game will have no gore and no jump-scares. Think more Twilight Zone or Outer Limit spooky rather than your average horror movie fare. There will, however, be mild violence, blood, and some suggestive scenes. But nothing that warrants a rating higher than PG-13.
Ran08 wrote: I like the premise! :) It sounds a lot like 999, which I really like, so... yeah, I think I'm gonna like this one too! :) As for the characters, hmm, they seem okay. To be honest, they seem to fit character tropes (the flirt, the calm one, etc.) perfectly-- not that that's a bad thing, of course. At the same time, I feel like they've been given a twist to their personalities... and I hope I'm right. (I actually love tropes and cliches a lot, but I love it even more when there's a twist added to those archtypes.)
Hi there, Ran08! Thanks for answering my questions and offering your input. You just might be right about there being a twist, but I don't want to ruin any surprises for you, so I'll keep mum about it for now.
Ran08 wrote: Oh, just a comment... um, I'm not really the best artist around (oh, who am I kidding? I'm not an artist at all, hahaha) but I think Olive's art is a little too... bland? Dev and Ambrosia are both hot (and I like the shading), Dominic looks okay (though I think the colors look a little too flat) while Olive is just... um. Yeah. I actually know next to nothing about art, haha, so... cheers to you people for the custom sprites! :") Anyway, good luck!

P.S. I really do hope you get to release this soon!
You can tell I'm learning, haha. I'll see if I can get around to tinkering with Dominic's and Evie Olive's art, but since they have quite a number of sprites that I already worked on and post-processed, I just might have to carry your advice into my next project, should there be another. Although, keep in mind that Evie's meant to seem very much like an average girl with no frills or ribbons. Average, that is, except for her white hair.

I really appreciate everyone's good wishes! I plan to put more work into this game over the weekend, so I'll keep everyone updated.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#5 Post by Hijiri »

1) First impressions? What do you think about the logo, the premise, and the characters? We want to hear your thoughts on everything.
When I saw the title I had to do a double take and see if I was reading correctly. Death Room and Death Rule are only 3 letter difference after all! :lol: Ok, now to the appearance of the project. The logo looks fancy but the font of the D and R look odd next to the other letters. All of them seem to have interesting designs, except Elive and who is rather plain looking compared to everyone else. Dev is also rather plain looking, but at least he has that tattoo which stands out.

It would really depend. Currently, I'd wait and see what you can do with the fuff,

Yes it does.

Ok,s o there's my thoughts. Hope that helps ya! Good luck.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#6 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hijiri wrote: Ok,s o there's my thoughts. Hope that helps ya! Good luck.
Hello there, Hijiri! Clearly, we're kindred spirits, fascinated by death. And now, I have to play your game. Thanks for answering my questions and giving me something to play during Halloween.

I've updated my post with screenshots and a list of the included features. I've also given Dominic Eld a whole new groove and Evie Olive a brand spanking new shirt. Let us know what you all think of it!

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#7 Post by sakurakimuchi »

1) First impressions? What do you think about the premise, the characters, and the game's style in general? We want to hear your thoughts on everything.
Love it! I love stuff like these, so I'm already excited about playing this game. I also liked all of the characters descriptions, looks pretty interesting and all.

Of course! As I said I am a fan of horror stuff, so the fluff is more like the icing on the top (because I don't like cherries lol). I don't think that is necessary but I think its nice to have a little bit of fluff/romance spice up things a bit. I remember that Date Warp was a huge disappointment to me because of that, all the mystery and suspense was nice but the individual character path's were pretty lame and just really bland so it made me feel I bit ''meh''. But I don't think this game will be like that, because all of the characters have interesting personalities, and even if BxG is just not my personal cup of tea, I am excited to pursue Dominic, Dev and Ambrosia. The thing with Evie it's just that I hate sore losers, so my ''problem'' with her it's not her sprite but her personality so far haha. But who knows? I might like her when the game comes out!
The character that I liked the most so far is probably Dev because dang girl, tattoos are sexy! And also, he seems interesting, I usually go for the strong silent types in most games. As I said, Dev is the most handsome guy, but Dominic's personality looks pretty fun. xD

YES PLEASE! lol. Halloween is my favorite time of the year so of course!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#8 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hi, sakurakimuchi! Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're just as excited as we are about the game! I should mention that the fluff can be a little difficult to get (hence the reason it's optional), but I am planning to release a mini-walkthrough for the game. If you're into social media, you can also keep track of updates on my Facebook page and Tumblr. (I'm also free for random chatting and enthusing about visual novels in both places.)

The writing's 100% finished, and with Halloween just around the corner, we're scrambling to wrap things up. For all you forum lurkers, visitors, and passerbys, let us hear your thoughts! We want you all to have as much fun as we are with this project.

aeiou2626

#9 Post by aeiou2626 »

MANY CHOICES YOU SAY?! OOOOOHHHHH YEEEE--

Um, well, as you can see, I absolutely LOVE lots of choices! I love being able to define my character's personality! I'm super psyched about that! As mentioned before, the characters seem to fall into troupes, but I don't really find that it will be a problem. I think that they will be interesting characters! Even if they don't end up catching my interest in the end, I think having a good story is more important! I'm really curious to see what this is all about.

Hmm, well, I'm not one for BxG, so I'd only go for the guys xD. I think I'd go for Dev first because of his tattoo! Too bad I can't be HIS hero, sigh. Next I would go for Dominic!

Yes, of course! I'd play this even if it wasn't for Halloween!

As for additional comments, I do have one about Dominic's colors. I really like how colorful he is! However, if he'd had a darker skin tone, I think the colors would have looked better. That's just my opinion, of course, and I'm not telling you to go back and change anything. I also have some questions~! 1) I'm gonna assume you can kill people. Can you romance someone and...betray them? Heehee... 2) This is just a silly thought that popped into my mind, but... how much time passes in game and how big is this room? Is it a little death BOX? Or is it big? And where's the bathroom?! /slapped/ Ahem, anyway, I'm looking forward to this game! I think it'll be lots of fun!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#10 Post by Dreamgazer »

aeiou2626 wrote: 1) I'm gonna assume you can kill people. Can you romance someone and...betray them? Heehee... 2) This is just a silly thought that popped into my mind, but... how much time passes in game and how big is this room? Is it a little death BOX? Or is it big? And where's the bathroom?! /slapped/ Ahem, anyway, I'm looking forward to this game! I think it'll be lots of fun!
A very good morning to you, aeiou2626! It's great to hear your enthusiasm. To answer your questions:

1) You actually do have that option! But only with one specific character. We're aiming for the gameplay to have a natural progression, so that each character responds naturally. Some of them just won't fall fast and hard in the short time you're in the room. However, that can't be said for all of them.

2) Ooh, it's about as big as an average-sized living room. As for how long you stay there...well, you could actually end up staying for only a few hours, if you don't play your cards right. And it's interesting that you mention the bathroom. It's actually lampshaded in the game.

Now then, I know I was hoping to release this by Halloween...but then, I had an idea for a couple of goodies I wanted to sprinkle throughout the game. I wanted to give you all the best, so I hope you don't mind the seven-ish hour delay.

At any rate, the game's been released and you can view the completed thread here! I hope you all enjoy it. Let us know what you think!