Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Re: Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB]

#16 Post by Dreamgazer »

Bianchii wrote:
Also kinda dissapointed I don't get some sweet Dev loving, only one stiff ass hug but that's my personal preference hahahaha and that extra haha the love room xD Also how the hell does Dev survive a grenade and then he just sips on poison? that bit seemed kind of random? but I guess people can be random sometimes (DEV PLS NU I'LL KILL MYSELF DON'T DRINK POISONNN)
Hello, Bianchii! I'm glad you were finally able to play the game and enjoy. As for the shortness...well, think of the Death Room as the prologue. A teaser trailer, if you will, for what's to come.
As for why Dev can survive all those things? Well, if you introduce yourself as a wizard and then kill everyone with a grenade, you'll have the opportunity to ask Dev what he is. You'll learn that he isn't quite human.
Rather than say it outright, I actually scattered hints of the characters' backstory all throughout the game.
In the short time you're in the room, you naturally won't find out everything there is to know about them, but you can certainly get a glimpse of their backstory. For instance, work together with Evie and she'll mention having committed torture before. Mob Dev, and you'll hear Dominic mention that he comes from a world with elves and zombies. Kill Evie in the beginning, and Ambrosia will use her Phoenix blood to heal you.
There's more, so if you want to catch em' all, you can take a look at the walkthrough. (There's also a cute surprise waiting in store.)
The walkthrough will also tell you how to get a kiss from Dev. ;)
Haha! Awesome submission. Look here to see what your judges say.

The contest ends November 14. Keep on submitting, everyone! Your judges are eager to see what you can come up with.

Bianchii
Regular

#17 Post by Bianchii »

Oh! Well that actually clears up a lot haha, I'll be waiting eagerly to play the next installment then! I guess I didn't get other parts of the story because I'm not really a completionist, I tend to play in the way I would behave in the real world
so killing would be out of the question for me haha, and OMG Dev can kiss me? omg I must have missed that in the walkthrough, I'll go check it out right now!

EDIT: HAHAHA OMG THE JUDGING!!!! THANK YOU XDDDD I DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD COME SO EARLY AHAHAH
edit 2: I can't for the life of me get
the kiss
D: help a sister out? ;-;

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#18 Post by Dreamgazer »

Bianchii wrote: edit 2: I can't for the life of me get
the kiss
Sure thing! I whipped up a proper Romance Walkthrough just for you.
Let me know if you still have any problems landing that kiss.
Also, if you're looking for more funny posts...try this on for size.

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#19 Post by sakurakimuchi »

IT'S OOOUT! WOOHOO! DOWNLOADING IT RIGHT NOW~

Bianchii
Regular

#20 Post by Bianchii »

Dreamgazer wrote:
Bianchii wrote: edit 2: I can't for the life of me get
the kiss
Sure thing! I whipped up a proper Romance Walkthrough just for you.
Let me know if you still have any problems landing that kiss.
Also, if you're looking for more funny posts...try this on for size.
Weee thanks so much!
AND OUCH, THAT HURT MY HEART ;-; DAMN IT DEEEVVV Y U SO CUTE AND SELFLESS
Haha that submission reminds me of ser pounce-a-lot from dragon age xD (he's a cat! genius name)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#21 Post by Dreamgazer »

sakurakimuchi wrote:IT'S OOOUT! WOOHOO! DOWNLOADING IT RIGHT NOW~
Hi, sakurakimuchi! I like your enthusiasm. Hope my game will meet your expectations! Let me know what you think when you finish playing it.
Bianchii wrote:Weee thanks so much!
AND OUCH, THAT HURT MY HEART ;-; DAMN IT DEEEVVV Y U SO CUTE AND SELFLESS
Haha that submission reminds me of ser pounce-a-lot from dragon age xD (he's a cat! genius name)
Ooh, that reminds me that I still need to finish Dragon Age.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

Re: Death Room [Suspense, Paranormal, optional BxG/GxB] CONT

#22 Post by Dreamgazer »

Trailer for the Death Room. Let me know what you all think of it.

Note: You only have three more days to enter the contest, so hurry and submit your entries!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#23 Post by Coren »

Got the ending where
I burn Ambrosia's body and leave the place.
Can't seem to get any other ending without dying!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#24 Post by Dreamgazer »

Coren wrote:Got the ending where
I burn Ambrosia's body and leave the place.
Can't seem to get any other ending without dying!
Hello, Coren! Thanks for giving the game a try. Hope you've been enjoying it so far.

I made an official walkthrough for it here, so it should help you figure out how else to escape the Death Room without dying.
But keep in mind there's no perfectly happy ending. The happiest parts are in the Extras.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#25 Post by Coren »

I've gotten a few more endings, mostly those where I pretty much blow everyone up. I have a question - is there any explanation for all the weird things that happen in the game? Are they in an ending that I haven't found, or does the game just not reveal them? e.g.
Why does Dev come back to life?
Why does Ambrosia not find it weird that she has powers?
Why does Dominic have healing powers?
Why is everyone trapped in the Death Room in the first place?
How come Ambrosia suddenly turns evil and kills you if you don't burn her body? If she just wanted to kill you she had plenty of chances to, without you waiting for her to come back to life.
And many others!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#26 Post by Dreamgazer »

Coren wrote:I've gotten a few more endings, mostly those where I pretty much blow everyone up. I have a question - is there any explanation for all the weird things that happen in the game? Are they in an ending that I haven't found, or does the game just not reveal them? e.g.
How come Ambrosia suddenly turns evil and kills you if you don't burn her body? If she just wanted to kill you she had plenty of chances to, without you waiting for her to come back to life.
And many others!
I scattered hints of the truth throughout the game, but there's no explanation given outright (for now, that is). However, I can answer some of your questions. Prepare for some TL;DR.
Short answer: He's not human.
Long answer: If you introduce yourself as a wizard and then kill everyone (with, say, a grenade), Dev will ask whether you're human. You can demand that Dev answer that question himself first, and Dev will admit that he is not human.

If you speak with him at various points throughout the game, you'll get further hints. He will, very specifically, say that he has never killed humans before - only beasts. If you're going along the bombing ending and you haven't introduced yourself as a wizard, Dev will hesitate to let Ambrosia live because he's not sure if she's human. Whenever he witnesses magic, he will usually demand, "You're human, aren't you?" Basically, he's very focused on race.

You won't find out what manner of creature he is here. Once more, you'll only get hints. He can only die from using a gun that has markings that eerily resemble the tattoo on his neck. He can also kill himself with a certain kind of poison, but you won't know what type there either.

Short answer: Ambrosia isn't human.
Long answer: I'm clearly not making this obvious, but everyone, except for Evie (and maybe you, depending on your choices), come from a different world.

If you choose to say that you're a wizard, Ambrosia will mention her abilities. Dev will, of course, ask if she's human. Ambrosia will confess that she has no idea what that word is! Evie will insist upon knowing what she is, and Ambrosia will say that she's a Phoenix, which is what she's been introducing herself as all this time.

I should note that Ambrosia always mentions Phoenix with a capital 'P,' which is actually hinting something.

You actually have the chance to ask Ambrosia about her powers a few times. (Most notably, you can do so on the dark BxG path where you're acting like a creeper.) Ambrosia will reveal that she was born with those abilities.

Short answer: As I mentioned earlier, Dominic comes from another world, where magic is the norm.
Long answer: Dominic makes this most clear when you introduce yourself as a wizard and when you (as a female) decide to mob Dev.

Short answer: You aren't going to get a straight answer here.
Long answer: The characters speculate the reason quite a few times. One of them might be right. All of them could be wrong.

Short answer: There's a reason that Ambrosia asks you (or Dev) to burn her body before she dies.
Long answer: I think you can recall that I said Ambrosia wasn't human. She calls herself a Phoenix. That's the only hint you'll get as to why she has a sudden turnabout after coming back to life.

In summary:
*Dev comes from a world populated with some kind of beast. He isn't human.
*Evie comes from the same world as you (assuming you choose to come from the modern century), but if you decide to mob Dev as a female, she'll imply that she committed torture before. No matter what kind of airs she puts on, this is not your average girl.
*Ambrosia comes from a world where there are no humans but fantastical creatures that look like one. A place best described as a fantasy realm. She isn't human.
*Dominic comes from a world where magic is commonplace. If you decide to mob Dev as a female, he'll also mention that he has encountered elves and zombies, so that should tell you something about his home.

Since you never learn the answer behind the Death Room, you could say that the goal of this game is to act as a simulation. You're tossed into a room with four strangers, three of which come from different worlds. At the same time, the very fact that they come from different worlds - amongst other things - serve as hints to foreshadow the truth behind the Death Room.

I think you can tell I have an overarching plot in my head, but I'll be honest with you. Since this is my first game, I wanted to keep it short, but I think I neglected the part where I was supposed to keep things simple. That's something I can hopefully fix in my next game. I'm actually planning to look into each character's backstory in future installments.
Speaking of which, my next project here actually delves into Ambrosia's story, so if you're curious about any of her oddities, you'll find more answers there. However, I should mention that it's just the prelude to her full story because, well, I'm still learning the ropes of visual novel making. If you have the time, I would really appreciate hearing what you think about it, so you can maybe stop me before I over-complicate things again!

More to the point, I'm glad you asked all those things. I was hoping someone would. As you can tell, I'm in love with the world in my head, which is why you're being attacked by a giant wall of text. Hopefully, you won't hold it against me.

If you have any other questions (and you aren't tired of reading!), I would love to answer them and see if I can clear up more things for you.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#27 Post by Coren »

Yup, I know and can tell throughout the game that three of them are not human, but the fact that the game doesn't explain about their worlds and why they were brought into this room makes it a little hard to get engaged in. I suppose it is just a prelude to a full story then? :)

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#28 Post by sakurakimuchi »

So, I've finally played this game! YEAH~
I didn't go for all the routes, but I'll explain why. ;a;
First I just wanna say that I really enjoyed this game. It's different from the majority of the games, so I liked, and even if there's not much romance to it, I liked the routes that I played (Dev, Dominic and Ambrosia), especially Dev.
He is like, totally the type of character that I usually go for, but even so, he surprised me because he is really quiet but he is also so sweet! And so is Dominic in one of his endings. In fact, he must be the one that surprised me the most because when I first played I was pissed off at him for being a jerk. But when he's not backstabbing me in the game, I think he is funny. lol
Ambrosia is interesting and I liked her. I usually don't like BxG but since she seemed soo nice, I played as male to go for her, and I honestly enjoyed! She is a caring lady, after all, and has a heart of gold.
But Evie, ughhh. Please, don't take this as offensive or anything but, she is kind of a backstabbing bitch which is just not my cup of tea, so she got on my nerves a lot. But I guess that she is the type of character that you kind of love to hate, and I honestly loved that I was able to kill her, so it was great!
Overall it was an interesting game that I enjoyed played. It was fun for me go after all the endings and explore all the possibilities that different choices would lead to. I also liked a lot the special version, more games should have this, it was so funny!
Cowboy Dev is just too hot for us to handle, haha.
Thanks for making this, and congrats because it's amazing! I'll be looking forward for more of your games.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#29 Post by Dreamgazer »

Coren wrote:Yup, I know and can tell throughout the game that three of them are not human, but the fact that the game doesn't explain about their worlds and why they were brought into this room makes it a little hard to get engaged in. I suppose it is just a prelude to a full story then? :)
You can definitely call it that, but since my next game is related to the Death Room, I feel like I would be calling it the prelude of a prelude, which just seems silly. I much rather see it as a teaser trailer. A promise for bigger things to come.
sakurakimuchi wrote:Overall it was an interesting game that I enjoyed played. It was fun for me go after all the endings and explore all the possibilities that different choices would lead to. I also liked a lot the special version, more games should have this, it was so funny!
Cowboy Dev is just too hot for us to handle, haha.
Thanks for making this, and congrats because it's amazing! I'll be looking forward for more of your games.
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, sakurakimuchi! In that case, keep an eye on my project here. It's the prelude to Ambrosia's story and will feature more romance this time around.

Also, for anyone curious, here are the most outrageous choices you could possibly make in the Death Room.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#30 Post by Dreamgazer »

Thanks to this amazing person, the Death Room now has a Google Play version. Download it here. If you run into any issues, let me know.

Also, for those confused by the Death Room...you can read my Death Room Confessions.

Finally, for all you Dev fans, here are the prizes awarded to the two winners of my Death Room contest:
Sweet Dev and Sexy Dev.

If there had been a third winner, I have no doubt there would have been a Cool Dev.