How to simply set up the game's desktop icon

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nylan
Regular
Completed: Segmentation_Fault (Nano16)
Projects: Currently free
Organization: MagicEngineering

Re: How to simply set up the game's desktop icon

#16 Post by Nylan »

PyTom wrote:It looks like the icon file is kind of tiny, at 32x32. I haven't really checked recently, but maybe such a tiny icon is not working for some reason.

You do need to do "build distributions" for Ren'Py to include the icon at all.
I just successfully built with a 32x32 icon, so probably not that (for Windows, anyways - can't speak to the other platforms).

More likely than not you need to build the project and ensure that your png and ico files are in the right folders (or flush your file browser cache!)

username123

Re: How to simply set up the game's desktop icon

#17 Post by username123 »

Is it possible that someone can build a distribution without a .rpa file being created? They are using the latest version of Ren'py. I am so baffled. I haven't had this issue with other games.

Edit: I was having trouble importing their game files to my Ren'py software to try it myself. I tried replacing the files of a new game with the game file of theirs, but it kept giving me errors when I compiled (but it launched fine).

Edit 2: Does anyone know where the default Ren'py icon is so I can just switch it out. I can't find it and it's so weird that the default icon is somehow the Ren'py one, without the Ren'py icon actually being in the folder.